tire brands

deac

My Buick needs tires and I like the Lester brand tires that I had on my 40 Pontiac Torpedo and my 39 Buick Special.  Those tires wore well and since I don't need a period correct name brand tire like Firestone, BF Goodrich or Goodyear a Lester branded is ok by me.  Coker also sells the Lester tire, however there a less expensive brand called Coker-Garfield.  Has anyone had experience with these tires?  Does the saying 'you get what you pay for' apply here?  

Edited by deac (see edit history)

14 hours ago, deac said:

Coker also sells the Lester tire, however there a less expensive brand called Coker-Garfield.  Has anyone had experience with these tires?  Does the saying 'you get what you pay for' apply here?

Good question. If the picture is any indication, they are identical to Allstate (Sears) tires. They were calling them Garfield when I last looked, not Coker-Garfield. Garfield is a period brand isn't it? Now you have me wondering if they were rebranded, and if Garfield was really a thing. I think it was. The Allstates they look identical to have drawn some criticism in forums for having less than perfectly bright white whitewalls. That might be true, but they looked OK to me, and drove about like any other bias ply tires. As far as I know 650-16 is the only size the Garfields are currently reproduced in. If I were buying any 650-16 Bias, I would probably pick Garfields over the other 650-16 offerings. I do like the way they look. I always wind up on radials though. Your mileage may vary.

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

Good question. If the picture is any indication, they are identical to Allstate (Sears) tires. They were calling them Garfield when I last looked, not Coker-Garfield. Garfield is a period brand isn't it? Now you have me wondering if they were rebranded, and if Garfield was really a thing. I think it was. The Allstates they look identical to have drawn some criticism in forums for having less than perfectly bright white whitewalls. That might be true, but they looked OK to me, and drove about like any other bias ply tires. As far as I know 650-16 is the only size the Garfields are currently reproduced in. If I were buying any 650-16 Bias, I would probably pick Garfields over the other 650-16 offerings. I do like the way they look. I always wind up on radials though. Your mileage may vary.

These would be for my Buick which has already had a steering failure luckily at 1 mph; if it were at any decent road speed I would be dead or in the hospital.  So I am freaked out about that and I don't want to try to save money on tires and find out the hard way that I should have spent more for a better tire.  On the other I have heard that Coker manufacturers most tires for old cars by changing the tread pattern and rebrands them. I don't know if they change inner tire make up or not. But I cannot verify that!

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing back an old thread here.  I have been advised by numerous old car guys that running radials on a car the was originally designed for bias ply tires is hard on the suspension. I know I will loose some stability when I switch back to bias plies.  However when I bought my Pontiac and it had radials and I put back to bias plies and I felt little to no loss in stability.  Any thoughts?

I've found the opposite to be true. Radials can roll straight and feel fine under less than perfect conditions. The rub is a loose suspension with radial tires on it is still loose and won't do what it needs to if you have to take sudden evasive maneuvers. Radials also tend to mask suspension and alignment problems that can destroy tires. Rolling straight lulls people into believing everything is OK, when maybe it isn't. I have seen people who did not bother to fix and align the suspension chew the edge of new tires down to steel belts in a week.

Well at this point I am going to put my Buick back on bias plies and get it aligned.  I do a lot more city street driving than highway driving and bias plies are a lot easier to work with.  

I replaced Lester bias ply antique tires with modern radials on my '63 Lincoln. This made a world of difference in improved stability, roadfeel and handling. The tendency to be steered by pavement grooves disappeared. The car finally went exactly where intended and no longer slipped and squealed on high speed corners. As correctly stated any loose suspension issues must be first corrected. So all rubber suspension items were replaced front & rear, and the steering box was rebuilt to get it there. IMHO the hyped "radial tuned suspension" of decades ago was primarily a marketing ploy.

I am doing homework on tires and I was all set on bias plies from Coker.  But today I read an admittedly older thread regarding tires and how the quality of bias plies was not very good.  They would puncture easily, the tubes were really thin and the whitewalls would develop brown streak after a while.  As I said this thread was from a few years ago but I have to ask if any premature failures have happened to anyone that recently bought bias plies.  Steering effort at slow speeds is a big deal to me so I am trying to get as much information on tires as I can.

I have B.F. Goodrich Silvertown bias-ply 6.50X16's on my '41 that were on the car when I bought it six years ago.  I'm not sure how old they are, but they have performed very well in the time I've owned the car.  The whitewalls are still very presentable (no brown streaks), and Goodrich was one of OEM suppliers for '41.  I don't know what kind of tubes are on my car, but I've heard that truck tubes are thicker and hold up better.

• Like 1