For Sale: 1958 Pontiac Star Chief 2-door Hardtop - "Stored for 30+ years, No rust, perfect chrome and glass" - Greenville, SC - Not Mine

For sale on Facebook: 1958 Pontiac Star Chief 2-door Hardtop in Greenville, SC  -  $29,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1319846101953843/-1958-Pontiac-Star-Chief

Seller's Description:

1958 Pontiac Star Chief 2-door Hardtop

• Driven 11,111 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green

This 1958 Pontiac Star Chief has been stored for 30+ years and has no rust, perfect chrome and glass! Call Brad for more information. [hidden information]

image.png.897eb81cea9521c838d18cf15a791946.png

image.png.9005aa8981c5b959ced3816e53ca43b0.png

image.png.0765561c7652bead20b9ab52fbddaf15.png

image.png.9bde58976ff1e6cf8067bdada50d8055.png

image.png.97301da6c86d3487727e90c4b369313e.png

image.png.076c95eb2e22d61737794690b3dcd3f4.png

image.png.a36f3a01b479d1f94ea0249d112f098d.png

image.png.2decd1554d8e4749f2c800271031501a.png

image.png.d942720e0b384e2378d76e6609faf7f2.png

• Like 1

By the looks of the one pic of the open drivers door, it appears that the rubber seals on this car have gone south. I would be very careful when someone washes this car. I sure do like the style though. Many people do not realize how much rubber seals cost on these cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

By the looks of the one pic of the open drivers door, it appears that the rubber seals on this car have gone south. I would be very careful when someone washes this car.

Good catch! Person could do a lot of damage to the interior with a pressure washer. Putting someone inside with dry towels to hold over the leaks would help.

We had a car wash at our Texico station. A really nice looking Lady would bring her White Cadillac convertible in to have it washed but it leaked. Someone would ride through the wash with her toweling any leaks. Funny thing is volunteers were never in short supply.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, AdamInNH said:

$35K without the dirt. 

Maybe ??

Maybe $18K without the dirt?

(Real Dirt & Dust adds $11K - artificially added dirt only adds $8K

• Haha 2

So what's the actual original mileage on the car? 11,111 or something in the ballpark? Disregarding the dirt & unrealistic high price, it looks like a low mileage gem of a car that has a lot going for it. It's an upscale model with what looks like a nice original leather interior and near-perfect trunk that's even got the original battery hold-down. Hard to see the engine compartment but it appears untouched with all the original spring-ring hose clamps still in place. A rust-free car and attractive colors too. I'd prefer replacing some deteiorated rubber weatherstripping to forming new patch panels for rusty front fenders, rear quarters & rocker panels or having to weld in new floors any day. I like the fact that it appears to be all original and unmolested with all the shiny little (unobtainium?) gingerbread chrome & stainless trim pieces intact both inside and out. One thing I find unusual though is that it has no power steering but it would look great with the correct spinner hubcaps. I'm probably in the minority here but 1958 Pontiacs are one of my favorite cars.  Yes the asking price is too high but I'll bet some Pontiac enthusiasts have this car on their radar just as it sits but they're waiting for that price to come down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kingrudy said:

By the looks of the one pic of the open drivers door, it appears that the rubber seals on this car have gone south. I would be very careful when someone washes this car. I sure do like the style though. Many people do not realize how much rubber seals cost on these cars.

I wonder if ‘58 Impala seals would work. The body style of the two cars are near identical except for side trim and the very front and rear of the cars. I’m sure the Impala seals are readily available.

55ER brought up an interesting find; there is no power steering!  But on a Star Chief?  Can't say for sure but on a Star Chief I would think that is standard equipment leading me to believe that the PS unit has been removed!  I would also think this car has factory power brakes because it's a Star Chief and the chrome molding on the brake pedal  The upholstery is original evidenced by the custom PONTIAC stitching on the front and rear seat backs.  However I wonder if the seat upholstery could tightened up without damaging the seams.  The trunk almost looks as if it was untouched!  I would not think of a repaint; I could get the paint and chrome to shine.  But I do have concerns about the condition of the drivetrain and brakes as the car has sat for 15 years!  It's going to need a bunch of work; gaskets have dried up, brake cylinders start leaking, fuel goes stale, transmission dries out and the list goes on!  The color combination is very close to my 57!   IMO 35 thousand clams doesn't entice me to even think of picking up the phone!

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I wonder if ‘58 Impala seals would work. The body style of the two cars are near identical except for side trim and the very front and rear of the cars. I’m sure the Impala seals are readily available.

Some of the seals will work on other cars, as my '40 Buick is a Fisher Body and the vent window seals and the rear quarter seals would work. I believe that all the fuzzies would have to be replaced as well (drivers, and passengers windows will have to be bought in length and bent to shape). Front windshield and rear window might be specific to this car. Door seals and trunk seals can be purchased by the foot. Steele Rubber could put together a package for the rubber. I used Restoration Specialties for the fuzzies. 

• Like 1

I believe the rubber seals for a 1958 Pontiac Star Chief 2-dr HT would be the same as those used on a 1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2-dr HT. 1958 Bonneville & Impala coupes share the same seals but they're unique to those two specific models and won't fit anything else. There are overall vehicle height differences between 1958 Star Chiefs (57.0") and Bonnevilles (55.6") and none of the glass will interchange either between those two. There were a great many options available on 1958 Pontiacs but I really don't know exactly what options were available on specific models. I would think the more expensive Star Chiefs & Bonnevilles were better optioned with things like PS, PB, power seats, windows, Transportable radios, Speedminders etc. but each car seems to be different. I've owned a 1958 Bonneville sport coupe for the past 35 years that I bought from the original owner. I drive it quite a bit but It's not well optioned at all compared to some other 1958s I've seen. My car definitely came from the factory with no PS but it has PB, an AM radio, a heater, a single 4-bbl. carburetor and maybe a courtesy light package but very little else. Mine also has an automatic transmission but I believe all but a few Bonnevilles were so equipped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The 55er said:

I believe the rubber seals for a 1958 Pontiac Star Chief 2-dr HT would be the same as those used on a 1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2-dr HT. 1958 Bonneville & Impala coupes share the same seals but they're unique to those two specific models and won't fit anything else. There are overall vehicle height differences between 1958 Star Chiefs (57.0") and Bonnevilles (55.6") and none of the glass will interchange either between those two. There were a great many options available on 1958 Pontiacs but I really don't know exactly what options were available on specific models. I would think the more expensive Star Chiefs & Bonnevilles were better optioned with things like PS, PB, power seats, windows, Transportable radios, Speedminders etc. but each car seems to be different. I've owned a 1958 Bonneville sport coupe for the past 35 years that I bought from the original owner. I drive it quite a bit but It's not well optioned at all compared to some other 1958s I've seen. My car definitely came from the factory with no PS but it has PB, an AM radio, a heater, a single 4-bbl. carburetor and maybe a courtesy light package but very little else. Mine also has an automatic transmission but I believe all but a few Bonnevilles were so equipped. 

Interesting facts about your car not being equipped without those accessories.  My 57 does not have power brakes or steering either; but then again mine is a Chieftain.  However if I am not mistaken my 57 was the last year of the king pin suspension so your car may have a better ride feel then mine.  I know that when I first went through my 57 the were a lot of parts made by Danchuk and rubber seal packages labeled for a 57 Chevy.  I do know that Bonneville's may look like a Super Chief/Star Chief from a distance but they're not!  The fuelie motors (fuel injection) were only used Bonneville's and Bel Air's.  So yes some parts interchange and some do not.  Get a GM parts book and check before you buy.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:17 AM, The 55er said:

and none of the glass will interchange either between those two.

Flat glass is cheap, when I replaced the glass in my Buick all of the windows except the rear window was cut to fit, with a bug on each of the windows. Now the front and rear glass will be different story. May be a little expensive to replace.

• Like 1