How to mount tires on these rims

AHa

I'm embarrassed to admit I cannot figure out how to mount tires on these rims. This is a 1911 Standard rim, consisting of two bead rings and one lock ring. One bead ring is placed over the rim, the tire is placed, then the tire has to be compressed enough to get the other bead ring on far enough for the lock ring to go in the groove. The outer bread ring then comes back over the lock ring, locking it in place. My problem is I cannot get the tire far enough on the rim to let the lock ring go into its groove. I'm trying to mount the tires with the wheels on the car.

IMG_0172.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

Over the years I have installed many tires on split rims.   I have picked up hints off the forum which pointed me in the right direction.  Some people use talc powder.  Use a rim liner.   They make a low cost tool ( you can find it on line) that pulls the air valve through the hole in the rim by a small cable.   Use a blanket if mounting white walls.   Hot soapy water seems to help.   I lay the tire on the floor with the inner tube in it ,then bring the rim up through the tire/ tube assembly using the cable tool to pull the air valve into the hole.  Here comes the answer to your question.  I have acquired over the years  about 6 different length  tire spoons from back in the day.  These  have the right shape to hook onto the rim and long enough  to  force the lock ring in and you can then work it around the wheel.  I would have a helper.  There is a acquired art in learning to do this.  Old tires are stiff and  I have have failed in mounting them.   New tires should be pliable.  Slow and easy is the word and be careful not to get hit with the tire spoons,    Before inflating  inspect the lock ring to be sure it is centered and the gap is even.  Inflate slowly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFeeney said:

Slow and easy is the word and be careful not to get hit with the tire spoons,    Before inflating  inspect the lock ring to be sure it is centered and the gap is even.  Inflate slowly.  

This is SO IMPORTANT. you can do severe damage to yourself and get hurt badly  if you are not used to using tire irons!  Do not be afraid but just be cautious and go slow both mounting and inflating.

• Like 1

With the discription of the wheel, i would suggest installing air pressure with installed rings facing down. 

Many years ago the owner of a large truck co was lost when the lock ring came loose.

I have used three  padded chains thru spokes around the rim and tire when inflating and checking wheel.

• Like 1

You have "Quick Demountable" wheels that require careful procedures to change your tires safely. 

I sent you a PM to call me before you try doing this. 

My 12 Buick had the same wheels and I know how to do this safely.  See photo below:

Front Tires Mounted.JPG

These are detachable type wheels. That means that there is a ring(s) that come off to remove the tire from the rim. 

Demountable type wheels have rims that come on/off the wheel with the tire inflated. This allows you to carry an inflated spare rim.

Some wheel sets are both detachable and demountable.

Your wheels also have another early feature, they are "universal".  They have a ring on both sides of the tire that can be turned around for either clincher or straight side (Dunlop) tires. Make sure your rings are turned to fit properly against the sidewalls of your tires. This picture shows the rings turned for straight side tires, as does your original picture.

IMG_0971.jpg

• Like 2

Safety Message

My 1923 Studebaker has split rims.

Topdown.jpg.1681602940bf79d9639dc235470c6c27.jpg

I use talc in the tire and on the tubes and flaps. My tires will just slid over the rim but I do have to fish my right angle valve stem through the hole in the rim first with the appropriate mounting hardware in place which includes a bridge washer. The inner lip is part of the rim body and the outer lip is the removable locking piece. It is very important to get the removable locking portion of the rim correctly seated. They usually just snap in nicely but, as pointed out above, once in a while one may let go when filling which may be due to a foreign object, excessive corrosion, not paying enough attention, etc. It is during the initial filling process when the tire bead seats that is most likely for a removable rim to fly off. It is pretty rare but can be fatal.

DSCN1141.JPG.d6d934a1ed95587d667e4027e2dfa1c4.JPGDSCN1146.JPG.e06ce6358c19cd1f057ba5930cbd640b.JPGIMG_1154.jpg.ff2b941d93488d39f6971a8f2804108e.jpg

This is how I fill mine. I put it all together, check it carefully, then lay the tire down with a piece of plywood on it and put my tractor bucket on top. I hook it up to my remote compressor, set it for 50 psi, close the door and walk away.

Fillingtire.jpg.e2294348b9786ac6c28a5999bf7df313.jpg

If nothing goes "KABOOM" before the compressor shuts off, I'm good to go. I've never had any issue but safety first.

Good Luck,

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 6/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, JACK M said:

A bunch of "C" clamps?

With 1x4s in between tire and c-clamps. That is exactly what I do. Takes 2-3 clamps at a time. I wind a thick rope around the wheel and lock ring and inflate with it pointing away.

Edited by PWN (see edit history)