Need Muffler 1964 Super Wildcat Riviera: 31"x9" Barrel Muffler Dual In/Dual Out--Source Needed

emmd61

I have a low mileage 64 Riviera with factory dual quad.  Original exhaust muffler is falling apart. The exhaust is good except for the 31"x9" barrel muffler. If anyone can direct me to a source to replace the muffler I appreciate it!!  Car will soon be coming out of hibernation.

351752985_708647514400025_7573095839831361813_n.jpg

344766403_264667879447345_4520732869404247687_n.jpg

344726395_1435728953846516_3415115517436140900_n.jpg

349400051_3397050183940881_6921372394733061771_n.jpg

Edited by emmd61 (see edit history)

Be careful about new "shop fabricated" replacement mufflers. I have purchased some made on Monday or Friday afternoon. Haven't seen any from the middle of the week.

Your pictures show a very repairable muffler. Sound deadener is available to restuff yours and you can rewrap the shell. And it fits! I plan to repair any future issues with the exhaust systems on my old cars. I paid a lot to make that a goal.

I do watch for NOS or NORS exhaust parts on Ebay from time to time. Manufactured parts are fine. I don't call the guy in the shop who makes the nice lady answer all the complaints a manufacturer.

Last time I purchased from them Waldrons carried three grades of Riv muffler, from stock sound to loud. Frankly the stock sound is still a little loud for my taste but sounds great. taking that into consideration I would probably not go for the louder one. They all suffer the same problem, namely they accumulate large amounts of condensation & eventually rot out before their time. This can be easily cured by drilling a small drain hole at the lower end of the muffler. You may be surprised at the occasional puddle of water that appears underneath.                                                           

I replaced the entire exhaust system in my '65 Gran Sport with an aluminized system from Waldron's 16 years ago. 

Their system replicates the GS system with straighter head pipes vs the snakey ones on the standard car.  I believe the pipes are 2 1/4 all the way back.  The system came with the large transverse muffler and two resonators.  The sound is quiet during normal driving - just a nice mild rumble.  Getting 'on it' increases the volume, but it's never obnoxious.  I think the resonators before the muffler quiet things down considerably.  Before installing the Waldron's system, my car had no resonators and I must have gone through at least ten Speedy Muffler King mufflers on their "Lifetime Warranty" program before they bought me out to get rid of me.   At one point they had to use a Camaro cross-flow muffler because they stopped making the muffler for the Riviera.  I didn't run resonators then, and the car was definitely louder.

Other than some surface corrosion on the pipes, the Waldron's system performs today as when it was new.  I didn't drill a hole in the muffler, and it hasn't rotted out yet. 🤞

On the basis of my experience, I recommend Waldron's.

I "recently" purchased an entire aluminized standard system, including hangers, for my '65. Excellent product, quick delivery, great customer service. However! the passenger side front exhaust pipe did not fit properly & refused to be tweaked into an acceptable position. Waldrons immediately sent me a new pipe which turned out to be identical to the first one. Got a pro to install it but it was difficult even for him, as the pipe resisted being bent along the proper axis. It still hangs 1"or2" below the other side, but only me & some of you guys would notice. (Have since learned of others who had similar experiences). But it sounds great, & after a year or two still looks like new. Waldrons hangers are pricey but top-notch. However, If you're handy you can search the forum for pics of some nice home-made ones, by Ed I think, & save a bundle. I was either too lazy or not handy enough, can't remember

Despite the caveat, still recommend Waldrons

My '60 Electra had one hung low on iteration #1. As well as an inconveniently placed joint where the pipe was cur for shipping. It is similar to my '64 Riviera but a longer car.

It wasn't just one incident that made me decide to repair and reconstruct existing exhaust system parts.

134.jpg.71910b76d61fe4627f12d6512f94ef5c.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:49 AM, 60FlatTop said:

My '60 Electra had one hung low on iteration #1. As well as an inconveniently placed joint where the pipe was cur for shipping. It is similar to my '64 Riviera but a longer car.

It wasn't just one incident that made me decide to repair and reconstruct existing exhaust system parts.

134.jpg.71910b76d61fe4627f12d6512f94ef5c.jpg

One of the hobbies within the hobby is or "was" scrounging for parts for the unforseen future. 17 bucks for the post office to ship these pipes from Michigan to MA 20 years ago. I bet they weigh twice as much as anything made today. There's not much I don't miss about the good old days

20230607_120018.jpg

20230607_120042.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)
  • Like 1