Automatic emergency braking

This feature is getting common but the proposed new rule will make it standard and extend it to vehicles under 10,000lbs and require it to be active up to 62mph. How will it affect our hobby? Given the time it takes to be adopted and the slow replacement of vehicles currently on the road, there won't be any noticeable effect for quite a while. I can only hope that in the future, the car will be paying attention, even if the owner isn't... and that's a plus  for everyone. 

I'm philosophically opposed to stuff like this because you're handing off control to a non-foolproof electronic system. People being what they are, when the electronics misbehave or outright fail, the driver won't know how to override it and retake control of his machinery. And mayhem ensues.

Of course it's not like many drivers aren't already clueless about how to control or maintain their machinery. People like that are why electronic garbage like this and tire pressure alarms have run amok.

I'm reminded of the story about an RV driver engaging his rig's cruise control and then going into the back for a cup of coffee.

Hey, cruise control means it drives itself, right?

• Like 3

And the non-AEB car(s) behind the automatic brake job will rear-end it and cause a chain reaction crash. In other words mayhem ensues.

One of many reasons I dislike driving on Interstates or especially beltways, or any high-speed congested road.

Aren't modern gadgets wonderful?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And the non-AEB car(s) behind the automatic brake job will rear-end it and cause a chain reaction crash. In other words mayhem ensues.

One of many reasons I dislike driving on Interstates or especially beltways, or any high-speed congested road.

Aren't modern gadgets wonderful?

Typical gov't response. They need to be perceived as doing SOMETHING, whether it makes sense or not. This is like the TPMS mandate following the Ford/Firestone Explorer rollover fiasco. All this electronic nanny equipment does is empower drivers to be even less competent.

• Like 4

Some day after you and I are gone these things are going to BE antique cars, and I can only imagine how crazy trying to get all this electronica working will make people who attempt a restoration.

IDK, maybe AEB will keep some inattentive driver from ramming our antique cars from behind.

• Haha 1

I’ll happily be the dissenting vote here.  A little over 11 years ago I was struck by a guy who was in a hurry and really didn’t look to see that me and my motorcycle were approaching him from his left as he was pulling out of an intersection.  He was turning left on to the same road I was traveling but he was going to go the opposite direction of me.  He pulled out and turned into me as he tried to cross my lane of travel. Had his vehicle been equipped with a warning system and automatic braking the whole resultant mess that followed could have been avoided.  Instead, at just a month before my 60th birthday, I spent 3 1/2 months in a hospital, lost my right leg just 6” below the hip and my spine was permanently injured to the point of being a paraplegic for the rest of my life.  All of which might have been avoided if his vehicle, rather than him, had made the decision to not drive into the intersection.

My wife has a 2018 Subaru Forrester equipped with what they call Eyesight, a system that is designed to keep accidents like that from happening.  It won’t let you drive into the convenience store window if you accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, it won’t run over a kid on a bicycle that you didn’t see, and a whole host of other possible situations that could end badly.  The system can be easily turned of when necessary, like when going through a car wash as it would brake when the automatic brushes were approaching it.  Yes, it’s a bit of a nanny accessory but it and similar systems do have their place.  One drawback I do see is getting too complacent and letting the system do all the thinking in place of the driver but at this point I am far from being against systems like this.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2023 at 3:29 AM, joe_padavano said:

What this means is that you can cut off one of these cars in traffic with the knowledge that the car will stop and let you in.

Obviously not a good idea but you actually may be correct. I was behind an autonomous car in San Francisco last year. It was on a 2 lane street and our lane was blocked by a delivery truck. The autonomous car couldn't get by the truck because every time it pulled out, it saw another car coming. It didn't know how to "take it's turn". I made a U turn and went another way. 

• Haha 1

I have it on my daily, and I’ve never had it accidentally activate, the only time it’s gone off is when some ahole cut in front of me when there was a parked car in their lane 

That said, given the shocking quality of driving in some places in the US I’d rather have anything on my side than not - drivers are pretty crap in Australia but sheesh I’ve seen some next level terrible while driving in the US

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

At work I've seen multiple cases in which the driver of an auto-brake car was rear-ended by someone because they stopped so suddenly. In several instances the lead car driver stated for the record that they did not understand why the auto-brake did what it did.

11 hours ago, Bryan G said:

At work I've seen multiple cases in which the driver of an auto-brake car was rear-ended by someone because they stopped so suddenly. In several instances the lead car driver stated for the record that they did not understand why the auto-brake did what it did.

And yet, still the fault of the driver in back not paying attention.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 10:00 AM, rocketraider said:

Come for a visit and you will get lots of practice on congested roads. And I live in the "country"!😁

I know! I'll drive 100 miles out of the way to avoid I-95. I-81 is getting just as bad with all the truck traffic it was never designed to handle. 

There's times I don't even like US29, but there's no less congested way to get thru Charlottesville!😁

One of the absolute greatest things about being retired is I no longer have to fight I-40 to Raleigh or I-85 to Charlotte for training or for a meeting that could easily have been handled with a conference call.

I'm glad to not have to deal with automatic brake equipped vehicles in heavy high speed traffic. Give me a nice easy two-lane or even a rural four-lane. So much easier and less stressful. And you see things!