Paint - Saving the paint on a 1948 Chrysler

Dewey

My 48 Chrysler has original paint but it’s not pristine. I’m thinking I would like to keep the original but could use suggestions on preserving it. I think clear coat is used sometime but I haven’t seen clear coat hold up for extended periods. I even saw people talking about using boiled linseed oil. Anyone have experience or suggestions as to stop the minimal surface rust and keep the patina? Thanks 

How about "Saving the paint on a 48 Chrysler"

I'm no expert but would think the idea would be, to carefully polish it by hand then give it 3 or 4 coats of wax, and renew the wax every 6 months or 1 year. Would like to hear the real experts opinions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No real expert, but I would think to stay away from a clear coat. Not sure if it will adhere properly to the old paint. I would think just a good wax would do the trick, may not make it shiny but would at least put a coat of something over it (thinking out loud-unless you cant get it wiped off and it leaves a dry white residue).

• Like 3

Please don't be tempted by clear coating or even a mechanical buffing (buffing wheel). A gentle hand buffing using the finest compound available at an automotive paint store, would be about as harshly as I would treat your original paint. Your paint after 70 years is going to be very thin. Even a judicious hand rub could rub through the original paint. This is one of those cases that the least amount of effort maybe what's best for the car. 

• Like 4

I have noticed there are some areas that have rust starting and the roof has a good amount of surface rust. I may end up having to have it painted professionally. I just don’t see how to remove the rust areas without sanding it thoroughly and applying rust stop. The original paint is thin and I have found small areas of filler. So my thinking is there were repairs made at some point in time. Thank you

27 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I have noticed there are some areas that have rust starting and the roof has a good amount of surface rust. I may end up having to have it painted professionally. I just don’t see how to remove the rust areas without sanding it thoroughly and applying rust stop. The original paint is thin and I have found small areas of filler. So my thinking is there were repairs made at some point in time. Thank you

There are ways to remove rust chemically that are amazing. I think, using CLR or vinegar? Not exactly sure. There are probably videos on Youtube. Clean off the rust and most of the paint may still be there underneath. At one time I might have recommended a repaint but at today's prices, would suggest saving the old finish if at all possible.

• Like 1

Nice looking car, I like it being original as possible. I agree that a good wax would be good. Checkout https://www.griotsgarage.com if you want to try doing something besides just waxing, they have a lot of what they call paint correction products. Also Meguiar’s has 3 products that work together, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Carnauba Wax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are ways you can spot repair rust. With as much original on your car as it appears I would def. do spot repair.

Welcome to the forum, dont worry you didnt break any rules. There has been a bit of discussion as of late on thread titles not having enough information. It seems enough people were able to decipher what you were looking for, LOL.

• Like 1

Dewey, you will see 3 black dots to the right of your opening post, click on the dots and select "edit" and you will see posting title show up, just change title to something like "1948 Chrysler-Options for preserving Paint". Anytime you start a new post, include enough info to differentiate it from many other posts (make, issue, year), and to invite replies from like minded members.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dewey said:

So I’m new did not know that paint was not a good topic. 

The subject of paint is fine, but the title needs to be more descriptive to your particular needs.  A title of "Paint" is like a classified with "car for sale" title.  To Generic. If you want help be more specific than paint.  See Rusty's example:  "Saving the paint on a 48 Chrysler" is more germane to your post.

19 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

How about "Saving the paint on a 48 Chrysler"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Paint - Saving the paint on a 1948 Chrysler
On 5/31/2023 at 8:27 PM, Dewey said:

My 48 Chrysler original paint came out real nice with just a buffing and WAX.

I have a surface rust area on the front fender just over the headlight that I sprayed with a spray paint can and then wiped it off before it dried. After it dried, I then applied a coat of wax rubbing off as much as I could.

It now looks like a dull area and can't seen from 20'

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 5/31/2023 at 7:23 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Please don't be tempted by clear coating 

DO NOT CLEAR COAT!!!

You will ruin the nice patina on your car!     (And it will look like a nice shinny pile of $#!T)

It will flake off in a few years and then you will have to repaint your fine original car.

• Like 1

Depending on the extent of the surface rust,  I have wet sanded it off carefully,  which will remove alot of it and leave some paint.  It's something you have to do carefully,  but alot of the rust you are seeing is staining on the paint.  It matters as to how ,much rust there is.   I did the whole roof of this 48 Chevy which was covered from being covered by a tarp,  and though it's thin,  most of it cleaned up.   I've done it on several cars.  Whatever you so will look 100% better in regards to careful buffing and even sanding and buffing.  

I use Mother's mag and aluminum polish,  Does a wonderful job and not real aggressive.  That's what I used on the black 1933 Plymouth splash apron in the second photo.  As well as on the whole car. 

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not buff the paint. The paint is already very thin and buffing will just remove more, showing more undercoating.  I would only use a high quality carnauba wax occasionally.  Keep the car as it is -the patina is more appealing than trying to make it like new.  

Edited by robcroft6363 (see edit history)