What car to take today - 1961 MG Midget

Rata Road

Enjoying this thread and seeing a guy exercising his stable of horses, which have a decidedly British ancestry. I have friend who has a similar stable of mostly smallish British makes he exercises regularly, including (from memory) a stunning Austin Healey 3000, TriumphTR6, Bug-eyed Sprite, MG Midget, Austin Mini, late 50's Jag Sedan, an Anglia, Austin Cambridge, Vauxhall Envoy, and a modern Jag XK8 Convertible. All cars in fine fettle! 

That looks like a very nice example. Several Sprites and Midgets in my youth. Lots of great memories. 

I am mostly a MGA guy these days, but if the right deal ever crossed my path { cheapish project that wasn't a absolute rust bucket } on a Bug Eye or sliding window Spridget I would have a hard time saying no.

My sister's boyfriend in high school/college had a Midget. I loved its styling, but when he gave me a ride in it I realized I was too tall to fit in one, practically speaking. I was really disappointed that it was a type of car I could never own. They're still surprisingly affordable.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How tall are you ? I am just shy of 6'2" and fit in a early Sprite  / Midget quite easily. But a lot depends on how long your legs are compared to your overall height. I just always make sure the seat is fully back and remove the seat cushion { only possible with the early cars. } . fold up an old blanket and sit on that. Drove them that way for years.

1912Staver, I'm a little over 6-3", so not much taller than you. As coincidence would have it, my son and I drove my Ford to a local car gathering today, and there was a Midget there. I looked into the interior and was surprised to see more legroom in the passenger seat than I would've thought. I can't remember much about the ride I had in one 45 years ago, but I do remember being so cramped that I was very uncomfortable. I was quite thin back then, too, so that wasn't the problem. Are the seats adjustable? Maybe my sister's boyfriend had the seat adjusted up. I can't remember if we tried to adjust the seat or not. He had just recently bought the car, so maybe he didn't know how to adjust it.

I have a 1974 midget, and I’m 6’2”.

getting in and out is a little bit of an adventure.  Once I’m in, I fit surprisingly well.  It is a little go cart..... so much fun to drive out in the country.

image.jpeg.49f25afde222552bbc39c8a46522574f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree about getting in and out, that part takes a bit of practice. And the early version cars end up with a bit more space inside. Thinner seat backs, less bulky dash pad and door panels. Every inch helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1