Rhinebeck Ny car show - May 6, 7

Porsche 68

Steve Braverman (and others ) ,

I took Cross Island to the Throgs Neck, up 95 to Exit 21 (just past Rye) to pick up the 12 mile road to bring you to the Tappan Zee Bridge….

Straight up 87 / New York Thruway to Exit 19 Kingston to the Rhinecliff Bridge…. two rights and you’re here…. Probably the most direct route to get here….

All the paving was on different spots on the 87 / New York Thruway….

yours, Craig……

Just passed 7:00 P.M. — sitting in the van to have lunch —- it is actually a bit chilly outside ( tablet says 59  — challenge… ) 

very comfortable all day — 69 degrees ish —- 3 to 5 mph breeze , more of the same all weekend expected…

The E bay boys were all over this place today, and the junk hunters….

My next door neighbor sells junk —- and he took in over $ 1000 today —- he is already happy…. ( I have GOLD and Important Merchandise —- and took in $ 400 !!! ( some things just make no sense in life !!! ) )

My neighbor asked one E Bay boy ( he doesn’t know who they are ) “ what are you looking for ? “ He answered Carburetors and Intake Manifolds “ as if to say,

” I buy things for $ 20 that I can put on E Bay tonight for $ 250 “

( Needless to say, he bought —— NOTHING …. )

Come on up , come on down, this place is full of vendors…. And tomorrow, the cars will be driving in…..

yours, Craig…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came across the Mass Pike to the Taconic and headed south. What a beautiful drive. I’d forgotten how nice the Taconic Parkway is. Beautifully groomed with startling views and “neat” bridges. I only saw a dozen other cars but kept my speed to 59 in the 55 mph turnpike. I found myself smiling while driving!

The show gates opened 30 minutes early and there were a lot of venders. Crowds were light but not thin and this was Friday. The weather was great. 65 and partly sunny. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 and sunny. I’m planning to finish the fields, head to the corral and then look for the show cars.

All in all, it’s a nice show. A warm up for Hershey. I just hope my legs and feet hold out!

Wayne

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mobileparts said:

I took Cross Island to the Throgs Neck, up 95 to Exit 21 (just past Rye) to pick up the 12 mile road to bring you to the Tappan Zee Bridge….

Straight up 87 / New York Thruway to Exit 19 Kingston to the Rhinecliff Bridge…. two rights and you’re here…. Probably the most direct route to get here….

yours, Craig……

I came from the other end of the island and made it just over three hours. I took the Taconic and it was a nice ride up. The ride home was less nice. Typical Bronx nightmare traffic. 
My Corvair ran great the entire 375 miles. I just got home. 

3FB4C6EF-3048-4125-9595-CEFA8A0E54EC.jpeg

Edited by Steve Braverman (see edit history)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, mobileparts said:

yours, Craig……

What type of a rig are you driving that requires two crossings of the Hudson River to get to Rhinebeck? 

• Like 1

Living only a couple hrs south of NY I will do anything to avoid driving north. It seems like everytime I do I end up going over the Tappan Z bridge. It has always been a nightmare. Is it still that way? I havent been in the area for 15 yrs now.

Again, perfect weather. The morning influx of crowds is encouraging for venders I think. The parking lot was filled double of yesterday at 9 am.

I had done most of the fields yesterday and checked out the venders in the building. There wasn’t too much for me but I’m very specific. 1927-1931 Cadillac/LaSalle. There was A LOT of Ford stuff but they did make a lot of Fords!

I moved on to the show field but it was the usual street rods and muscle cars. Every time I saw an antique in the distance, it turned out to be another rod. I have nothing against resto-rods. (I have two myself) but I go to the antique shows to see antiques. I go to the NE street rod show at Lake George to see rods.

I’ll post a couple of cars I felt were photo worthy.

All in all a wonderful show worth going to!

IMG_1603.jpeg.3a8d96934965520ac67fc305ad839ecf.jpeg1953 CadillacIMG_1601.jpeg.6fbda9f58ce3be06cae3d94c73361fd9.jpega nice ‘37 pickupIMG_1600.jpeg.cdb7a7e8176262d2155ed6611d20e08a.jpegwho knows what but interesting!IMG_1597.jpeg.238e4a760f0464422bdf9a8783b4b026.jpegThe most interesting Cadillac I think I’ve ever seen!

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Great Day.... just got back, I walked the entire show field and part of the vending area with my son.....my knees are killing me, but well worth it.... hopefully this hobby will rub off to my son....

Steve

image.png.ad87d7f9e64f8614ec7bb98a1c822d21.png

image.png.1bc2b8a38064a0f1bd1f4954da821af1.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, yachtflame said:

There wasn’t too much for me but I’m very specific

When I attended decades ago the flea market was 89% post war  stuff and not much pre WII era anything. That was ok but to spend the time driving up and back, tolls, gasoline, etc even then it wasn't worth it for me personally. Neat to see people in person but even the car display was just not of the era I have more interest in. Great location/great show and effort to put it on annually. Great to see and read that it worked out weather wise for everyone.

• Like 1

FANTASTIC MEET!  50 in a row for me! If all goes well the item I bought to flip will cover the cost of the item I really NEEDED for a project. Good to see old friends I see only at this event. Weather was perfect the three Grandkids had a good time. 

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Glad to see those of you who made it had a good time… I am just sitting down outside to eat lunch —- and it is starting to get a little chilly now…

Today’s weather couldn’t have been any better, if you ordered perfection !!!

I saw a lot of cars rolling in all morning to get onto the car show field —- and tomorrow is the bigger day of the car show —- jeez, they may run out of room up there… From my spot, I have a bird’s eye view of the entrance, such that I keep my eyes focused that way , especially if I am not serving anyone that moment with parts….

The buying was not strong today —- most vendors are calling it “ fair “ or “ mediocre , especially considering the perfect weather… I would actually rate it “ sub par “ , particularly given the fantastic circumstances… I did have two vendor friends I just spoke to who labeled it “ Good “ …

I had one guy grab 2 Ball Joint Boots @ $ 5.00 each, 2 Tie Rod Boots @ & 4.00 each , for a total of $ 18.00 —- and he put them back ( in the wrong spot ) because he said,

” That’s too rich for my blood. “ ( Oh well … ) I guess he isn’t a CEO of a big Manhattan Corporation !!!

Tomorrow is supposed to be drop dead gorgeous again —- come on up, come on down, but come —- the vendor spots are full —- I did see one pull out tonight, but only one….

The “ r word “ is not supposed to happen until 8 : 00 P.M. tomorrow, and by then, we will all be long out of here… Most will be home, already ( Not me, I will wait out traffic back to Long Island on  a Sunday night at the Sloatsburg Rest Area…. And get back at 11 : 00 / 11 : 30 tomorrow night….

yours, Craig….

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Again, perfect weather. The morning influx of crowds is encouraging for venders I think. The parking lot was filled double of yesterday at 9 am.

I had done most of the fields yesterday and checked out the venders in the building. There wasn’t too much for me but I’m very specific. 1927-1931 Cadillac/LaSalle. There was A LOT of Ford stuff but they did make a lot of Fords!

I moved on to the show field but it was the usual street rods and muscle cars. Every time I saw an antique in the distance, it turned out to be another rod. I have nothing against resto-rods. (I have two myself) but I go to the antique shows to see antiques. I go to the NE street rod show at Lake George to see rods.

I’ll post a couple of cars I felt were photo worthy.

All in all a wonderful show worth going to!

IMG_1603.jpeg.3a8d96934965520ac67fc305ad839ecf.jpeg1953 CadillacIMG_1601.jpeg.6fbda9f58ce3be06cae3d94c73361fd9.jpega nice ‘37 pickupIMG_1600.jpeg.cdb7a7e8176262d2155ed6611d20e08a.jpegwho knows what but interesting!IMG_1597.jpeg.238e4a760f0464422bdf9a8783b4b026.jpegThe most interesting Cadillac I think I’ve ever seen!

Saturday has become Resto Rod Day on the show field. Sunday has always been the better day for our kind of original cars. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldford said:

I would love to have joined you guys, but my bride and I are celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss in another spot where it is a little warmer...

Frank

IMG_4215.JPG

John told me where you where. He was sputtering a bit wondering why this week end of all weekends? He did say he sold the T. 

This 1928 Model A Ford one ton truck was also very cool. It has the 20 inch one ton wire wheels that were only available  the first 3 months of production before they went to the bud style wheels on the one tons. Real nice original.

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

• Like 5

And then there's the Log Dog. It's part truck and part tree. It snores and raises quite a ruckus at times. It was right next to my White. Log Dog has a book written about how it came to be and how it rescued the valley that it lived in. It's a Super Hero. It's owner gave me an autographed copy of the book. 🙂

IMG_5626.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My wife and I attended on Sunday.  The car show was great.  Attendance seemed lighter than I remember it, and the swap meet had fewer vendors and a lot of dollar tarps and tables, with a few having 'going out of business' signs.  Merchandise quality was down based on what I saw.  Very few people were carrying any purchases.

If you were a vendor, how would you rate the swap meet?

2 hours ago, Harold said:

My wife and I attended on Sunday.  The car show was great.  Attendance seemed lighter than I remember it, and the swap meet had fewer vendors and a lot of dollar tarps and tables, with a few having 'going out of business' signs.  Merchandise quality was down based on what I saw.  Very few people were carrying any purchases.

If you were a vendor, how would you rate the swap meet?

Fairgrounds people claim highest gate attendance in seven years on Saturday. Swap meet was busy Saturday. Saw some cool stuff carried out of there. A lot of vendors packed it in and left Saturday. Some had enough, some didn't want to be stuck there til 4:00 on Sunday (unrealistic rule against vendors), some were going to a show in CT Sunday. 

• Thanks 1