1973 Corvette clean up

Transmission is done and flushed out the remaining coolant in the radiator. Now the fun begins cleaning up the wiring, some fiber glass repair on the fire wall, swap out some old hoses, and paint work. Header paint is on the way. Going to be busy for a bit on the engine bay.

IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7870.jpg

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Since my last post I have been cleaning up the firewall. The wires were cleaned up, the fiberglass repair on some areas was addressed, and I removed all the old A/C stuff since it's missing so many parts that it's not cost effective to rebuild it back to stock. I'm going to go with a Vintage air system later on down the road. I would have had to remove it all anyway. I will have to make a filler panel for now. I did get the rusty master cylinder and steering box painted yesterday and painted the firewall today. Looks a lot better. Tomorrow I'm going to paint the front frame section and it will be ready for the engine and transmission. My header paint and fluids should be here tomorrow.

IMG_7875.JPG

• Like 15

Since I've owned the Corvette I noticed that the drivers seat always leaned toward the center console some and I thought it was just the way the seat were suppose to be, but after getting it on the lift to pull the engine and transmission I discovered that the fiber glass pan under the car was cracked badly which was causing the seat to lean. It was so bad that when I drove the car and hit bumps the seat was actually hitting the exhaust pipe. I ended up making filler plates out of 14g steel for the bottom and inside the car for the troubled area. I had to use a jack and 2x4 to push on the underside plate to push the pan back into shape. Then climbed up a ladder and used large head rivets to put it back together. With the new plates installed and silicone on the back sides for extra holding strength it should be fine. The seat sits level now and the pan looks just like the other side. Saturday the engine and transmission goes back in. 

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7881.JPG

IMG_7882.jpg

• Like 13

The PO and I installed the engine and transmission today. Just have to finish hoses, exhaust system, accessory drives, and a few smaller items. Then fill the fluids, run, and double check timing. Everything came together nicely. Will have more photos shortly.

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7885.JPG

• Like 13

Went back over to the PO's house today and finished up the hoses, accessories drives, and started putting the fluids in. All that's left is the exhaust system and should be ready to go. While working on the car I was using the PO's tools and I made a comment on the rachet wrenches he has and how I needed to get a set some day. Also when I went over to work on the car today there was an Amazon box on the car and he told me that they must have delivered it to the wrong house and it was for me. So I opened the box and found a nice set of Duratech rachet wrenches. 

IMG_7887.JPG.b9a2fccf38207fd9003b301685c6e838.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG.0392b19a09718c0126ab0f16cc713510.JPGIMG_7889.JPG.22b48b388fc7a3eadaf5bc9af03ef950.JPGIMG_E7888.JPG.81581ef4dcb7f7c64f39810b1178371d.JPG

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

That's going to be one fun Corvette, plus, you don't see too many '73s, especially 454s.  Great work, you make it look very easy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said: While working on the car I was using the PO's tools and I made a comment on the rachet wrenches he has and how I needed to get a set some day. Also when I went over to work on the car today there was an Amazon box on the car and he told me that they must have delivered it to the wrong house and it was for me. So I opened the box and found a nice set of Duratech rachet wrenches. 

IMG_7889.JPG.22b48b388fc7a3eadaf5bc9af03ef950.JPGIMG_E7888.JPG.81581ef4dcb7f7c64f39810b1178371d.JPG

Those types of spanners are so much fun to use. Had my set for a while now and thinking I need a Metric set for the ‘97 Buick Riviera.

You will enjoy using them so much, you will probably want to go back and redo all the previous wrenching you have done so far using the new ones! Just kidding, really enjoying your work on this one.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Yesterday afternoon we got the exhaust pipes all on and started it up. After just cranking it for 7 seconds it started to come back to life. Seemed to run better and sound better. It must be happy. After running for about 15 minutes the shop was pretty smoking since the headers were cooking the paint in. They cast color turned a little darker with a bronze highlight. They look nice. Picked it up this morning and did a short shake down drive to see if there were any noises or funny things. Everything was fine and best of all after letting it sit for the day, NO leaks. Now that the engine and transmission are finished, the next step is new tires and on to other smaller things that need attention.

IMG_7890.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Laughing Coyote,will you be getting back to the Mercury soon? That's what I'm waiting for.

I've been advertising it for sale for $7500, but no takers, so I guess I will have to start it back up when I get more time. Maybe this spring.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

Man, I got to know what you have done for the PO that he likes you so much.  Help bury the bodies?  Enquiring minds want to know.  

About 2 years ago he bought a house just around the corner from me. My wife told me the new guy has a couple of old cars. Not long after he moved in he was driving around the neighborhood and saw me outside and stopped in to say hi since he was new to this area. We talked about cars and I showed him my shop with all the equipment and tools. He said he needed to get his started, but couldn't find a concrete guy to do his foundation work. I got him a guy for that. He told me he was waiting on his new tractor, but was delayed for 6 months. I directed him where he could get one right away. Once his slab was done on his shop, the kit showed up and I helped him install purlins, beams, and assembly. He was very thankful with the help on everything. After about a year I was over there and asked him how much would he take for the 73. He told me it needs a lot of TLC and really didn't say a price. When I would leave his place I would always ask him if he ever wanted to sell it. Then one day after getting home from visiting he sent me a text telling me that I ask about buying the 73 all the time and told me that he would just be happy not to see it anymore when he opens the shop door. He just wanted to see it go since it needed so much work and he really didn't want to mess with it. He has a 68 Elcomino and a 04 Z06 as his play toys and is happy with them. He was right, it needed some TLC and it's finally getting it. He is happy to see the progress on it and knows it will get done up right. He's a great guy and would help out when asked and I would do the same. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thats how neighbors should treat each other. I mean the whole gifting of a vette takes it to a higher level but treating each other decently is the right thing. Thats pretty much how the 'hood was when I grew up. Neighbors helping neighbors. Not necessarily asking for anything but when one saw another in need of assistance they chipped in. When a garden had too many vegetables to be consumed then neighbors would find bags of beans, tomatoes and squash on the doorstep. No questions asked. When snow needed shoveled everyone got their lane done. 

Sad to say I wouldnt know 3/4 of my neighbors if I met them in the grocery store. AND there are only 10 houses on my street! The house across the street has been sold 3 times in 15 years. First owners were friendly but kept to themselves. Second were very friendly and my wife still talks to the mrs. even though they moved out of state. The current owners would just as soon look the other way than wave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2024 at 3:10 PM, TAKerry said:

Thats how neighbors should treat each other.

Well said, Kerry.

Yes, Martin has something even more valuable than a vintage Corvette: A really good neighbor!

I'm not just saying that. If you want to know how important good neighbors are, try living around some really bad neighbors for a while. ( I have.)

Of course, it sounds like the previous owner of that red Corvette got a really good neighbor in Martin, too. 😉

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Little update on the Vette. It's been running and driving great. Still have a punch list of little things here and there. The last time I drove it though after I got home I noticed coolant dripping from under the radiator cap. I just move it a little and it leaked more. After it was cool enough to see what was going on I noticed that the radiator cap gasket was just barely enough to seal on the raised neck flange. I found the correct size cap with a gasket that covers the whole inside of the lid and solved the problem of a dripping cap. The next thing I'm going to tackle is the doors. The passenger side bushings are still in good shape and the door just needs a little adjustments for a better fit. The drivers door is suffering from the GM saggy door syndrome and the bottom bushings are pretty worn. (See pics) While the door panels are off I will be getting the window tracks cleaned and lubed so they go up and down smoother. 

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. Haven't gotten to the door hinge bushings yet, but one thing that has been bothering me was shortly after getting the car and looking it over I noticed the passenger side rear tire sticks out a little farther than the drivers side. After looking it over from under the car when it was on the lift you can tell the body is not sitting squarely on the frame. The PO put the body on the frame and didn't realize how bad it was until I showed him. The body mounts are original and in bad shape, so I ordered new ones and begun getting the car ready to swap them out. The rear (#4) ones are always bad and rusty so they ended up being cut to get the bolt out. The rest came out fairly easy, but I have the one in front of the drivers rear wheel that is causing issues and getting really tight. I don't want it to spin the nut in the cage, because I have no way to get to it unless I cut the frame under it. Then I would have to patch the frame after I get it out. Hoping it goes ok and comes out. Then new bushings go in and on to the doors. Aren't old cars great.

IMG_E7926.JPG.8128f9730f66bd06d48c9e2baa614f68.JPG

mount.jpg.05a7279832dff14812ffb3a0f1f7a0bb.jpg

IMG_7934.JPG.2a8017bc38c01614087c8d415676f373.JPG

IMG_E7933.JPG.28ff618ecba695fd0f95e0a2052e7bf0.JPG

• Like 8

Got all the bolts out and what a relief. Made a little tap extension so I could run a tap back through the nut plates to help clean the crud out of them. Also made a spreader bar and lift brackets for when I get to lift the body and put the new bushings in. If all goes to plan I will be doing it this weekend. Have to still loosen up some brackets and check things so I don't have any issues while lifting. Slow and steady wins the race.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Have you done body bushings before?

Not on a Vette, but there's plenty of info out there. You have to use a sling with hooks that hook to a metal lip at the bottom of the body. I'm going to use an engine hoist. Just has to come up a few inches. Just want to be careful not to crack any fiberglass. something like this, but not as extreme.

1963-1982 Corvette Body Lift - Corvette Central Tech Blog

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend wasn't a go for the mounts, but today was. By the pictures what could possibly go wrong. Glad nothing did. Worked out pretty good and my wife was willing to help out any way she could. Was a lot of hard work rolling around on the floor of the garage and prying and pulling and everything else to get them all in. Not too bad, but something that I don't want to do again anytime soon. Still have to tighten the rear ones, but I have to reinstall the nut plates, but the others are ready to go. The old ones looked pretty crusty and were about done. Now I get to put all the thousand brackets back on and on to the door bushings.

IMG_7945.JPG.dfeaaaf034544b8cd2e5cbd56dc29270.JPGIMG_7946.JPG.c662c876d976c98d9603015ddf2c1086.JPGIMG_7947.JPG.30b6b5b371651ef808c35a9388fd94e6.JPGIMG_7949.JPG.68ca010a9f4eedca1db513a82ce76862.JPGIMG_7948.JPG.7d4a463074c67eba81678173246f61d5.JPGIMG_7950.JPG.0d17791ff89b098ec1f61f05b3171174.JPG

• Like 9

As always, nice work Martin !  The previous owner of my '69 Impala SS " did " all the bushing. Well, when I went to install / align the NOS front fenders, I was going nuts with the fender to door alignment.....long story short, he forgot to replace the bushing on the radiator core support. I installed the new bushings and the door to fender alignment came into spec. 

Steve 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

is that the original paint ? It looks really nice!

Nope. It's a 20 footer paint job at best. It's okay, but pretty trashed up close. Lots of bubbling, cracks, and chips. Who ever painted it didn't prep it well and the paint was laid down sub par. It's suppose to be a blue-green metallic. I waxed it to get it to look a little better, but not to worried about it. I'm getting the mechanicals done first and paint will be last. The poor car has had a hard life.

• Like 4

As I stated awhile back the car needed a new spring. After doing a lot of research on the right spring since there is several spring loads and leaves to choose from. I found them on the internet and not too expensive, but shipping was pricey and probably an import spring. I decided to call a local spring shop with the specs I found and they actually had one in stock. It was cheaper than buying one and having it shipped. This one looked like it's been in the shop corner for awhile and the best part it's an American made spring. Plus a 1 year warranty. $245 out the door. The work doesn't stop, but the list is getting shorter.

IMG_7959.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

• Like 3