1973 Corvette clean up

Yesterday I made up a puller to press out the spindle hub. Today after changing out 2 fascia boards I went ahead and gave it a try. It actually worked and I was able to get it apart. Then it was a day of cleaning, sandblasting, wire wheeling, and painting things up. Still have to pull the other trailing arm assembly on the passenger side. When I was checking the spindle on the drivers side it was hitting something when it was spinning. After taking it apart I found out why. The back of the stud heads were hitting the cup and spring on the parking brake shoe. It had a groove worn in it so it's been doing it for a while. Once I get the other side torn down I want to check the spacers and make sure someone didn't forget one on the drivers side and bringing it to close inward. The neighbor that gave me the car also had 4 new brake hoses so they will be changed out. I ordered new rotors, parking brake shoes, caliper lines, spark plugs, and an emergency brake cable. So lots of work going on. Hoping to have it all back together in about 3 weeks and back to driving it without worry.

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7432.JPG

• Like 10

Took it easy today since this coming week will be busy for the business and I have more parts coming in. I was cleaning up one of the derby caps to see how they will clean up. They look pretty good, but the black stripes were faded and painting them would be a chore. I made a template and cut strips of sign vinyl and they came out pretty nice. No mess, fumes, or masking. Just stick them on. It takes a lot to have it come off. I just have to paint the letters on the top, but that's easy. 

IMG_7435.JPG

• Like 12

I've been still cleaning up parts. The half shaft on the drivers side has been disassembled and the U joints are going to be replaced since they were the original ones. Was a real bear to get them out. I have new U joints, bearings, and seals coming then I can start to put things back together. I finished up the center cap too. Polished up the stainless bottom ring and then mounted the derby cap. You can tell the difference. Three more to go. The neighbor that gave me the car came by yesterday and has seen all the progress and is happy that I got the car and going through it so well. I also had my Delrin rod come in so I can make new sway bar bushings. The rubber ones were worn and cracked and I wanted something a little stiffer. One done and three more to go. Progress is still on going.

IMG_E7445.JPG

IMG_E7447.JPG

IMG_E7448.JPG

• Like 12

I was able to do more work on the car pieces. I got the bearings and u joints in today. I checked the pre load for the bearings with a special tool I made so I don't have to keep pressing on and off bearings. The spacers are correct and right on per spec so I'm good to go on that. Bearing seals should be here by Tuesday. I ordered them through Home Depot of all places and it's free shipping and getting them a lot faster than the big name guys. I've gotten other parts through them. They have an auto parts whole seller they deal with. I also made a lower shock bushing with the left over rod material and it's ready to go. The parts pile is getting smaller just in time to do the other side. At least I know what to do and it may go faster. And new stainless steel caliper brake lines.

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_E7449.JPG

IMG_E7450.JPG

IMG_E7451.JPG

IMG_E7452.JPG

IMG_E7453.JPG

• Like 9

More progress today. Pulled the rear caliper on the drivers side and soaking the trailing arm shims in Vapo rust. Good thing I'm going through the calipers. The fluid looked really dark and had black chunks of grud come out of them. The bleeder screws are pretty well beat too. The grease seals came in today so I just have to pack bearings and get the rest of the trailing arm together. Still have to finish the half shaft. 

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

• Like 4

Looks like you're making great progress, Martin! I'm very interested to see how the "blackout strips" you're using on your caps will work over time. You had suggested this approach for the worn black painted "turbine slots"  on the wheel covers for my '65 T-Bird a while back. I haven't done anything on the wheel covers yet, as they haven't ever been on the car. I was a little uncertain about trying your approach - in part because the shape of the slots  on my wheel covers is more trapezoidal than rectangular - but I have to admit the result you achieved looks really good. Please keep us updated on how that film wears with use over time. Thanks - Jim.

Still plugging away at the parts. The drivers side trailing arm is done. Brake caliper done. Both half shafts done. Just have to pull the other trailing arm and get it torn down. Hopefully it will clean up faster and I can get this thing back together and start driving it for longer periods of time without concern.

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

• Like 7

On 6/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Hopefully it will clean up faster and I can get this thing back together and start driving it for longer periods of time without concern.

Don't make it look too good, or you'll be afraid to drive it!  ;)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Don't make it look too good, or you'll be afraid to drive it! 

I won't be afraid to drive it once I get it back together. I just wanted to go through things and make sure they are up to snuff before driving for longer periods of time. After all it's a 50 year old sports car that's probably had a lot of hands on it and from what I'm finding not very good hands. Looking forward to having some fun with it once it ready.

• Like 5

Today I pulled the passenger side trailing arm. Had to sacrifice the trailing arm bolt. Everything was rusted tight. This side has never been off the car and the grease on the bearings was just about gone and turned to heavy oil. Good thing I got new bearings and seals. That's why I wanted to go through everything first before I got into driving it a lot. This poor car has had a tough time over the years.

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_E7470.JPG

IMG_E7471.JPG

• Like 7

What kind of paint are you using?

Everything looks incredible. One of my favorite parts of the resto process is taking the small stuff apart and redoing. I see so many cars that look good on the top side, and they dont even touch the underneath, or at least the important stuff like the lines and calipers, bushings etc. 

I like that you used the sign tape for the wheels. My car has a tape coloured insert on the door handles. I ended up with a sheet of black sign material and did just as you did. It was a scrap piece and the cost was nothing so nothing to lose. Several years on it still looks great and has held up perfect. The stuff I used was pretty thin, I put it on a bit over sized and used a sharp exacto knife and carefully cut it in. Worked out very well.

• Like 2

Thanks. I like the bottom parts to look nice just as much as the top parts. As they say it's all in the details. I'm sure over time of driving it will not stay fresh and new, but I know I went through everything and it's good to go. Seymour paint is what I'm using for the cast and silver color. Rust Oleum industrial black gloss for the other stuff. They have lots of different types and colors.

CA16-48 Seymour Cast-Blast Specialty Coating with Metal Paste Inside the Can (12 oz)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Martin....I'm starting to go thru my C20 ( u-joints, center carrier bearing, then onto the wheel cylinders and brakes ) the truck passed inspection when I got her, but who knows how old this stuff is, u-joints and carrier look original !

I can't wait to see your Corvette on the road !

Steve

• Like 4

Getting closer to getting it back to driving. Just have to bleed the rear brakes. Everything else has been re installed and double checked. Also installed new plugs and wires. I told the neighbor that gave me the car I was going to have to buy plug wires and he told me he had a new set of 8.5mm MSD ones he would give me. Can't complain. Still have lots of little things to check, but feeling better about all the stuff I've done.

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

• Like 6

Yes, and the 454 still made a lot of horsepower in '73, especially when you consider that the engine was net rated and was in such a small lightweight car.

On 6/25/2023 at 6:50 AM, EmTee said:

I forgot that this is a big-block car...  ;)

IMG_7494.JPG.a6528803f38e855b4417232deab

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still doing little things on the car. The rear brakes still need a better bleed on them. Used the vacuum method, but not 100% satisfied with the results. I cleaned up the lower rear finish panel since the paint was just falling off of it. Use some stripper and it cleaned up nice. Put a couple of nice coats of primer and that's good enough for now until I get to the painting process. Also addressing the fiberglass repair on the spare tire cover. I have to get a new battery since the one in it was past it's best use by date. Since the rear is still exposed I'm going to change out the differential fluid since I don't know how old it is or if it's even been changed. Last time I ran it it seemed to perk up nicely with the new plugs and wires. I have new exhaust tips on there way since the others were trashed. Getting closer to hitting the road again. Just want it right before driving it. 

IMG_7520.JPG

• Like 6

I installed a new battery on Thursday since the other one was laboring to turn it over. Definitely starts faster and runs fine. Next up is the rear diff fluid change and then start buttoning up the back and installing the new tips. The gear selector lever is wobbly so I need to see what's going on there and poke around in the console and see if anything looks suspect. There seems to be something no matter where I look, but it's getting straightened out a little at a time. 

• Like 8

Great work, really interesting to see just some heavy maintenance rather than a full restoration on this car.  A '73 454 is also something never seen at shows.  Seems all the Chevy big blocks from 73-76 in 'Vettes, Impalas, Montes, and Chevelles don't seem to exist anymore.

Edited by hursst (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hursst said:

Seems all the Chevy big blocks from 73-76 in 'Vettes, Impalas, Montes, and Chevelles don't seem to exist anymore.

They've all been put into Malibus or 6 cylinder Camaros...  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last time I ran the car for a bit and took a quick trip around the neighborhood it had a hard time starting back up. After doing some research on some Corvette forums it seams that the starter gets heat soaked on big block cars and makes it hard to start not long after shutting it off. There also should be a heat shield to protect the starter, and of course there isn't one. The PO that gave me the car included several extra parts and one was a starter. I was able to use it to make a template and get it cut on the plasma table this morning. After a few hours I had a heat shield. It made it with a 3/16" air gap between the back plate and top plate. The top plate is aluminum so I hope it helps out more on the heat. Couldn't ask for a better fit even though it was a tight area. Since I was under the car I decided to grease the front end. I'm sure it hasn't been done in awhile. I started to work the center console too and I have to make a new gear shift slide since the other one is all busted up on one end. Someone put to long of a screw in the top console plate and when you moved the gear shift down it hit the screw and broke off the end. I have new plastic coming today to make a new one. Just more little things to keep me busy, but getting it straightened out.

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7547.JPG

IMG_E7542.JPG

IMG_E7543.JPG

IMG_E7545.JPG

• Like 8

Pontiacs are notorious for heat soak on the starter. I was having problems with my Trans Am and put a heat wrap blanket on it. Worked slightly, but I was afraid to drive the car. It would still give me troubles when the motor had a bit of run time. I ended up making round trips from my home without shutting the motor off. Leave it running when gassing up etc. Then it crapped out completely on me at a show. I put in a mini starter and have not had a start problem since. It does not look original but it does the job. Plenty of spin to get the motor running. You may find that the shield you installed may not be the cure all, but I hope for your sake it does work.

• Like 1

Best wishes on getting the hot restart issue addressed. I know that replacing an aging ignition coil has helped me resolve a hot restart issue, but maybe you've already done that. Hopefully the shield does the trick! THANKS for the updates.

I'm really impressed by your fabricating skills and I could see your lathe in the background. I admire your methodical approach. In the first pictures the car looked so good, I figured that it was good to go. Your thread is a good reminder that unless a car has been in use and properly maintained there is likely to be a lot of deferred maintenance items and bodges that are hidden. If a buyer of this car was impressed by the red paint and then just started driving it, they would soon encounter a bunch of problems and breakdowns that would quickly sour them on the car. You are certainly taking the right approach... but I'm still jealous!

• Like 1

I'm really impressed by your fabricating skills and I could see your lathe in the background. I admire your methodical approach. In the first pictures the car looked so good, I figured that it was good to go. Your thread is a good reminder that unless a car has been in use and properly maintained there is likely to be a lot of deferred maintenance items and bodges that are hidden. If a buyer of this car was impressed by the red paint and then just started driving it, they would soon encounter a bunch of problems and breakdowns that would quickly sour them on the car. You are certainly taking the right approach... but I'm still jealous!

Ya, some of the shotty stuff I'm finding is just crazy. I The good thing is I have lots of equipment to make things easier. I have to reseat the rear window since it was falling out of the opening due to the wrong sealant. After removing the last trim panel that goes across it I realized it was flimsy. After looking at it closer, someone used duct tape to hold it together since it was broken in half and covered with vinyl material. That's in the process of being put back together. Seats are out and had some issues to address on those and they're now done and ready. It seems like you see something that needs to be worked on since it's a quick little thing to do, and after pulling it apart you see other issues behind that. It's been one thing after another, but I'm gaining on it. Besides it's just too hot to drive it right now anyway. 

• Like 5

Been doing more work on the Vette just about everyday. The rear trim piece that was broken in half is back together and just needs to be cleaned up more and some slight tweaks and it will be finished. Will add pictures later. The rear window trim ring was cracked in several places and missing a tab. Had to make a tab and repair the cracks. Will add pictures. That's back together and in primer. I will finish it once I get the back window set and done. I need it for a guide to set the window. I got seat belts mounted in the original mounting locations. It had racing harnesses and other stuff I didn't want. The original seat belts had a ratcheting system under the seat for the lap belts and another ratcheting system up top for the shoulder belt. The ones under the seats had a cover and belt guide to help keep it enclosed and the belt from rubbing the seat rails. As like most of the things I'm finding, there gone. The covers are hard to find so I will have to fabricated something. I made my own seat belt guides for now, but the originals can be purchased still. Later on I will be putting all the proper belts in the car like factory. Also you can see the outside mirror was gooped with glue to keep it from moving all over the place. The PO gave me new mirrors with the car and even the optional passenger mirror. And new door handles too. Getting closer.

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7571.JPG

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_E7572.JPG

• Like 5

Did more work on the car this weekend. Installed a new side mirror, finished the rear window trim and installed it. The rear window got installed and sealed up. The seats are installed and ready to go. The console is still apart since I still want to look at everything behind it when I get a chance. Still have to work inside trim panels since a lot of them require repair. That won't cause me delays in driving the car so they will get done when they get done. I sent off the spare  rim to the powder coater last week for a blast and powder. She owed me some favors. I also purchased a cheapy spare tire that should be here by Wednesday. 

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

• Like 7

I got the car all back together and took it for a little ride to see if there is anything wrong on how it performs and drives. No vibrations, strange noises or weird things going on. It really goes like heck when you open the four barrel. It's a blast to drive. I'm still going to go through things to make sure I'm good to go. I want to check the front bearings, brakes and attaching pieces. I did receive my new tire for my spare and I also picked up the rim from the powder coater I dropped off. She told me if I have anything else bring it to her and she will take care of it. They do cerakote for space X stuff so my headers will get done when I get to that part. I also made a front plate for it.

IMG_7591.JPG.cb14cd39df2a785484642c9ba346ebe2.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG.650128bcd21ffbe2c9444a6372831583.JPG

• Like 11

EmTee,

I cut the aluminum plate on my plasma table and cut the art work on the vinyl machine. Then a clear coat and ready to go. I have several pieces of equipment that I use in my business and can make just about anything. If anyone needs something made just contact me.

• Like 5