Fuel/carburetor - 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook cold start problem

10 hours ago, TerryB said:

He’s new, give him a little slack.  And yes, DETAILS about the problem are absolutely necessary!

He hasn't even asked a question yet. So far we know his car is hard to start, and it is probably a 53 Dodge but we don't know if he is bragging or complaining.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Come back to the party, Dodge, we will answer the question once we know what you are asking. We do not bite.👍

Like Terry points out, it's his first post.  Meadowbrook, you will find that there are a lot of brilliant people on this site and can get you thru every problem you have with your car. Don't be afraid to ask anything, there are no dumb questions.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Fuel/carburetor - 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook cold start problem

@1953 DODGE Meadowbrook

Give us an idea of what you have already tried in helping your Dodge to start.

1. Is it getting adequate fuel to the carb?

2. Does the choke close when cold?

3. Do you know to step all the way down on the gas pedal and then release it before trying to start the car - assuming it is an automatic choke? 

4. Does it cold-start easily if you spray ether or pour a bit of gas onto the carb before trying to start?

The more info you give us here, the more the many experiences folk here can help you.

Good luck !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Marty I am afraid you are whistling Dixie. OP made this one post and never came back. This happens a lot, I don't know why.

Thanks @Rusty_OToole

It's only been 3 days - maybe he's away from his laptop-

and is it even Politically Correct to "Whistle Dixie" anymore - even here in Louisiana?

(of course I'm originally from New Jersey, but drive with a "Southbound Attitude")

I'm thinking that the choke on these may be an electric solenoid.

Activates when cranking. It's been a while since I worked on one of these flatheads. And was not having any troubles with it.

Am I remembering correctly?

Certainly, would be hard to start if the choke is not activating at all.

Just in case the OP comes lurking.

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Marty I am afraid you are whistling Dixie. OP made this one post and never came back. This happens a lot, I don't know why.

@Rusty_OToole

It amazes me that a person, supposedly interested in his/her car, will seek out advice, but then not check back for responses.

Maybe they're more accustomed to sites where multiple examples of "canned" responses exist - or a video showing a "quick & dirty" shortcut on more modern stuff?

Thanks for your note

57 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I'm thinking that the choke on these may be an electric solenoid.

Activates when cranking. It's been a while since I worked on one of these flatheads. And was not having any troubles with it.

Am I remembering correctly?

Certainly, would be hard to start if the choke is not activating at all.

Just in case the OP comes lurking.

We don't know if it is a flathead or a Red Ram hemi V8 as he doesn't bother to tell us, that or anything else. But if it is the Sisson choke it is a bimetallic spring with an electric pulloff.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

We don't know if it is a flathead or a Red Ram hemi V8 as he doesn't bother to tell us, 

This is true, But unlikely a Hemi in a Meadowbrook.

He probably figured it out and is enjoying his car.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well guys you all are gonna be surprised to finally meet the mysterious 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook owner Lorna Sattler! Now I have many other questions.  Several months ago I drove my car from Pyramid Lake NV heading to Huntington Beach car show on first road trip!

• 3 weeks later...

So now in New Year and have not been driving snow and ice.  But I am going to be working on my car next few weeks.  When I was in Bishop the outside temps were steady 105-115° .car ran great for around 500 miles Suddenly I heard a knocking down near oil pan. I immediately stopped.  Also at same time it was running full throttle.  I trailered it home. So I am going to see what's happening.  Any ideas.  I hav

e not changed oil yet 

That's what I thought also if it doesn't start snowing today I will know when I drop the pan!  Someone mentioned that sometimes carbon buildup can sound like that.  I have several things needing attention heater core is rusted and I need to find someone to take care of rear hatch an area with rust.