1929 Packard, not mine.

From the tag, what can the Packard guys suggest the model is? Also are we sure it is a 1929? I think it is a bit earlier and I think it is a 6 cylinder. Of course more information from the seller would be better. I am not sure this thing is restorable and not sure how many parts have much value. I guess if you had a similar model Packard that was made into a truck, maybe the back half could help build back a car. I am being optimistic. However, thanks for posting, you never know who may be in the market for a few Packard scraps.

Alan 

You could do something with it on the hot rod side. The problem is when you are done, it’s value is up against early Fords. And early Fords dominate hot rods. On the restoration side, most likely some good parts in that pile. But what ever the sale price is, it better include the hay wagon. Someone will buy it.

• Like 1

For documentation and historical purposes, this is the text of the ad:

1929 Packard Car. Car was disassembled to make a hay wagon out of the frame many years ago. About 30 years ago all the pieces that could be found were loaded back onto the hay wagon that’s the frame of the car. I would estimate that 60% of the car was found and sitting on the wagon. I believe 95% of the engine and transmission is sitting on the wagon. Location of vehicle is North Dakota. Make an offer! …. Had to put a price down for ad….$35,000 

To reply to Alsfarms, the serial number on the cowl plate and the existence of the firewall anti-theft stamped number suggests it's a 1929 Standard 8. It's a 626 model on 126" WB because the fenders do not have a bead line running along the outer edge like the longer wheelbase cars did. A very basic model - disc not wire wheels, no cowl lamps. The rear body would appear to be the most and only useful part and is exclusive to 126" WB 28-29 cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, alsfarms said:

From the tag, what can the Packard guys suggest the model is? Also are we sure it is a 1929? I think it is a bit earlier and I think it is a 6 cylinder. Of course more information from the seller would be better. I am not sure this thing is restorable and not sure how many parts have much value. I guess if you had a similar model Packard that was made into a truck, maybe the back half could help build back a car. I am being optimistic. However, thanks for posting, you never know who may be in the market for a few Packard scraps.

Alan 

Alan:

The vehicle number 252838 falls in the 1929 Sixth Series, Standard Eights, Models 626 and 633, which range from 233017 to 276166.  Within those comprised 26,070 Model 626 on 126.5" wb: a sedan 5-passenger, a coupe 2/4-passenger and a convertible coupe 2/4-passenger.  The rear deck shape tells us it was one of the latter two.  

The Model 633, of which 17,060 were built in seven body styles, included only one coupe 4-passenger which was the style where all passengers were seated inside.  Most often referred to as a victoria coupe or club coupe, the deck was much shorter than the remnant see here.  There was also a 633 Runabout 2/4-passenger roadster but the sheel metal shapes don't match the style.

Steve

• Like 2

Ok....

I have to admit, I am a wee bit curious about this Packard pile.  I do not even come close to thinking/dreaming that this pile is restorable!  I did decide to respond to the seller who responded and suggested that he will get back to me, later in April, when the No Dak winter changes to spring and the snow goes away.  For those real Packard guys reading here, I assume that the 726 is the bottom of the food chain in Packard circles?  Am I correct in thinking that the 726 replaced the last of the 6 cylinder Packards. Does that mean that this chassis would have that peculiar 7 lug wheel format? Is this basically a cheapened 733?  What, from a 733, would interchange with the 726? Could the 726 have come with sidemounts?  I had thought that Packard offered a roadster on the 726 platform similar to what Cadillac did with the short wheelbase LaSalle of 1927-28.  As I learn more, I will share here.

Al

• Like 2

No, the 626 replaced the 5th series 6 cylinder. 6 refers to the series - 1929 (introduced August 1928) and the 26 being the final two numerals of the 126" wheelbase. All 4th series 8's, 5th series 6's and 6th series 8's had 8 lug wheels. 8 lugs were also used on the 7th series Big 8 cars - 740/745. 7 Lug wheels were used on the 726 and 733 cars. To other questions. A 733 uses the same mechanicals as a 726 other than the length of the tail shaft. 726 and 733 used the some radiator, hood, cowl and front doors. 726 cars could have side mounted spares. No roadster on a 726 - just a 5 passenger sedan. 733 models did offer a roadster and a wide range of other bodies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Kean, Are you starting your fall cool down yet down under? Not being a Packard guy, I guess I would need a Packard Genealogy chart to sort out Series, model breaks and then the model nomenclature and lastly the year breaks.

So the 7 lug wheels are on the Standard series Packard's for 1929, but this pile of parts is a different series 1929 and uses 8 lug wheels. 🙂 That is not really clear but I will study it out. Here is another wheel question, are all 8 lug wheel interchangeable or is the wheels a different width depending upon application?

Al

• Like 1

Starting to cool down here. No, 7 lug wheels are only on the 1930 Standard 8 7th series cars 726 and 733. They have the 7 lugs on the outside of the wheel hub. 1931 Standard 8's are also 7 lug but the lugs are inside the wheel hub under the cap. Disc, wood and wire spoked rims are interchangeable but with different length lugs. Discs are shortest. Wood wheels are longest.

• Like 2

7 lug wheels are certainly unusual. I needed a set of 20" 7 lug wire wheels for an Advanced Series Nash project. Here is how the story goes. I couldn't find any so I cleaned up a set of wheel centers out of a rusted out set and had a set of good rims laced on. Now I have a set of real nice wheels. But the story goes on. While I was hunting for wheels, before I had the set built, a gent took my information but was very slow to respond ....2 years too slow! I ended up buying another set of 20"  7 lug wheels with new tires. Now I am 7 lug wheel poor! I guess I should advertise and reduce the inventory to just the one set I need.

Al

• Like 1

The contour of the rear quarter panels just above the taillamp on the red roadster sure do not match the Packard pile shown above. Does anyone know the story on the red car?  It is certainly a pretty Packard and in league with LaSalle of the same vintage.

Al

• Like 1

Alan, the red roadster appears to be a 626 speedster. Unsure if genuine or otherwise? Packard did produce a speedster - either in roadster or phaeton format - a very limited production and it's debatable how many cars were produced but the surviving number are very LIMITED. Packard installed a Big 8 engine in the 626 chassis, used a 640 hood and shortened the roadster and / or phaeton bodies by about 14" to accommodate the longer engine in the short chassis. Attached are two variations from the original speedster catalogue.  A genuine roadster exists at the Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan and I have heard of another elsewhere but don't know if it was a roadster or phaeton.

29speedMvc-001.jpg

29speedMvc-003.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Here is the 626 Packard roadster I refer to that was sold at auction a while back, just for comparison and conversation.

183794_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

This is represented to be one of the 70 1929 Model 626 Speedster Eights which were equipped with the larger 385 ci Custom Eight 640/Deluxe Eight 645 engine and a 633 Runabout body to the 126.5" wb Standard Eight 626 chassis.  It was the predecessor to the 1930 Speedster Eight 734.

• Like 2