Portland Swap meet and PIR swap meet

JACK M

March 29th thru April 2nd.

It is unfortunate that the AACA must see it as competition.

Or at least doesn't like me talking about it here.

Feel free to stop by my space and introduce yourself.

Space 2011A In the chicane off of the east end of the drag strip at PIR.

Jot down my space number before this gets deleted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JACK M said:

March 29th thru April 2nd.

Or at least doesn't like me talking about it here.

Feel free to stop by my space and introduce yourself.

Space 2011A In the chicane off of the east end of the drag strip at PIR.

Jot down my space number before this gets deleted.

I'll be there, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I'll be there, too.

Yup, Keiser31 will be sharing space with us this year, Ive been after him to do this for awhile.

Happy that it will be finally be happening.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

If the AACA had a problem with this thread

then it would not be here for me to reply to.

Bump …

Jim

It wasn't this one, but a similar one with a few items that I plan on brining.

Lasted about an hour.

I will be doing club duty for one of the several clubs that put the Portland Swap Meet at the EXPO center. The Portland Swap Meet is how the clubs that put it on generate funds for their operation for the year ahead. 

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

It wasn't this one, but a similar one with a few items that I plan on brining.

Lasted about an hour.

Understandable if you are using the forum to sell individual Items

which may or may not be allowed.

That is not the same as giving a swap meet notice to members of an upcoming event.

Jim

“ With a few items I planned on bringing “

I didn’t see the thread or his post.

If he specified what the items were

then that is selling - you don’t have

to include a price.

If you want to start a thread promoting 

a swap meet - don’t specify items

you are bringing.

Jim

KEISER 31 if it rains I'm blaming you Jack promised no rain. My stall # 2314, 2315, 2316. What are you guys selling? Do I need to come see you before I set up? We should be pulling in before noon. We will have rakes and shovels ready to go to work cleaning up goose poop. We out here in eastern Oregon are ready for some fun. See you on the 29th.

Jim S

• Haha 1

Over the years I have seen many posts of "stuff I am brining to Hershey" on this forum.

Apparently not allowed for Portland.

Swear, If its raining (which it won't be) we can hang out in the trailer and watch the wet people walk by.

Will be shooting for noon as well.

I am bringing a bunch of stuff I cleaned out of long-term storage that I mostly forgot about.

Some old parts etc. But mostly just stuff that I didn't want to toss.

When I closed the Marina I put alot of inventory in this storage container and have some fairly valuable boating stuff that will be priced right.

Unlike the Expo where the 'auto only' enforcers still rule, the PIR swap meet has morphed away from the strict rules. Still basically automotive, but many antiquey kinds of things as well.

I only hope I don't Find a nice Packard or Piece Arrow that I have to have. Part of the reason that I don't wander away from my space very often. LOL

Space 2011A in the chicane off the west end of the drag strip. Ya'll stop by and introduce yourself. See you there.

Jack M, Keiser31, and Craig. Doug camps with us as well after Expo closes and they kick everyone out.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 5:37 PM, JACK M said:

Jack, 

Your post wasn't about the topic title.  It was about your parts for sale which belongs in a different forum.

Read the forum rules.

• Like 1

I can not imagine that the Portland swap meet, and Hershey are in competition with each other. I have been to both, Portland many times. And they are very different from one another. In location, items sold, surrounding activities and related car events. From what I have seen, and from what others have said about both swap meets. Is they are not what they used to be. I would put Hershey over the Portland swap meet. In size, automotive related parts and activities. Not talking down the Portland meet. It is a fun must see for any car nut. And lots of good stuff can be found on a budget build/restoration. I plan on attending. My needed list of items has gone down, but there is always beer🍻 that needs to be consumed. And I am willing to step up and do my part.😋

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The ONLY time events like swap meets are in actual competition with each other is when they both held the same weekend!!

Craig

22 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

And held in the same general location. Google shows 2775 miles in between Portland and Hershey. 41 hour drive, that makes the score on the 38 Plymouth tail light lens really expensive when you figure in gas, hotel and food.

The PIR/EXPO are two separate meets with WAY different rules.  Located within a few hundred yards of each other.

The compromise is that PIR is open to public on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and EXPO being open to public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

PIR allows camping in the spaces while EXPO requires the place be totally vacated at closing.

It would be difficult (for me anyway) to seriously cover both in those 4 days.

It would be interesting to know the total combined booth/space count. I would guess several thousand.

57 minutes ago, JACK M said:

The PIR/EXPO are two separate meets with WAY different rules.  Located within a few hundred yards of each other.

The compromise is that PIR is open to public on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and EXPO being open to public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Its been that way for decades.  I've had no issues covering both events over those four days.

Craig

There really is a separate forum for swap meets - so be sure ti take plenty of photos and post so we can see what we missed.

Thanks,

Terry

On 3/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, Terry Bond said:

There really is a separate forum for swap meets - so be sure ti take plenty of photos and post so we can see what we missed.

Thanks,

Terry

Thank you Terry, I never knew there was a swap meet section. If photos of the parts for sale are posted I'll view them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of pictures of cars that were for sale at the swap meet. I just went to the Expo building. Track was probably a muddy mess. I would guess that 50% of the vendor spaces inside and outside of the building were empty. And crowd size was about half of what it normally is. It was raining, chilly, overcast but not bad. Lots of reasons for lack of attendance. I have three favorite cars for sale. Lots of 60’s-80’s trucks, a mix of everything in all conditions.

126BF7D1-85B3-42AE-AFB4-35AF6C85A616.jpeg

ACEF0900-55EB-4532-8BF8-88FAFCB5F75F.jpeg