My Dad's 56 Century

Mudbone

The 56 Buick overheated in Clinton Iowa on our way to Dallas Center Iowa to visit Grandma and Grandpa. My dad asked if he could use the gas stations shop to clean out the radiator. I remember him going across the street and buying a gallon of muriatic acid and a box of Sal-Soda. That is all I remember about that trip. This was probably 1962-1963.

56 and Ken015.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Had a metallic green Schwinn Sting Ray with the “5 speed stick” and a rear slick pie crust tires, sissy bars and the banana seat.  Likewise I mowed alot of lawns and put up alot of fences to pay for it..  I always thought that bike and my Schwinn Continental 10 speed were special but Dad threw them both out when I moved out.  Isn’t it something how “ordinary” things of “the time” stick with us even years later.

… but this is about Buicks.   Nice dual exhaust on that Centiry Mud 🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mudbone said:

This is the current location of the 56 Buick as of today. Buried in 1973. (Aproximitly 6 foot deep)  I have been trying to get my nephew to let me dig it up, but he just gives me that real strange look........

Old sate rd Buick.jpg

It would be great if you could dig it up ! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is so cool.  Makes me want to dig up photos of mine in black and white from the late 50s at my grandfathers place when it was out doin it’s thing…..

Probably drag racing usnavystgc 56 Buick up the Kulpmont hill…

So….why did the Buick get buried  but not the Model T?  So you could make tea in the Model T?  ( great video btw).  I mean, if you could plow a field with a model T couldn’t you do it with the 56?  It has power steering.  I just don’t get it.😎

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, KAD36 said:

That is so cool.  Makes me want to dig up photos of mine in black and white from the late 50s at my grandfathers place when it was out doin it’s thing…..

Probably drag racing usnavystgc 56 Buick up the Kulpmont hill…

So….why did the Buick get buried  but not the Model T?  So you could make tea in the Model T?  ( great video btw).  I mean, if you could plow a field with a model T couldn’t you do it with the 56?  It has power steering.  I just don’t get it.😎

I have no idea why they buried that car out in the field. (I was not there when they did it) There was a large cattle confinement barn on the land to the west. That right side driveway was the entry to the east end of that barn where we fed the cattle.

I pulled the motor and Trans and a few small parts off, that I have hanging in the garage. Back then scrap was not worth much at all so everything got buried on the farm. I know there is other stuff buried with it. My nephew also burned and then buried a motor home on the other farm. I also think there is a 68 Olds in the dirt somewhere also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

would be a cool excavation to put on youtube!

It would be the BCA version of "The Curse of Oak Island'. Bunch of us running around the field with metal detectors and we find a nail or an Ox shoe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, KAD36 said:

Makes me want to dig up photos of mine in black and white from the late 50s at my grandfathers place when it was out doin it’s thing…..

My '56 Chevy when my Grandmother still had it...

image.png.44c1df5c10777fc4f32bce3ae7798015.png

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, Mudbone said:

I have no idea why they buried that car out in the field. (I was not there when they did it) I know there is other stuff buried with it. My nephew also burned and then buried a motor home on the other farm. I also think there is a 68 Olds in the dirt somewhere also.

You're not the least bit suspicious? Burying things years ago without witnesses? Won't allow you to dig it up? Any chance there might be some "passengers" in the Buick or the motor home? Some Italian guy from NJ is curious...

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Machine Gun said:
On 3/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, Mudbone said:

I have no idea why they buried that car out in the field. (I was not there when they did it) I know there is other stuff buried with it. My nephew also burned and then buried a motor home on the other farm. I also think there is a 68 Olds in the dirt somewhere also.

You're not the least bit suspicious? Burying things years ago without witnesses? Won't allow you to dig it up? Any chance there might be some "passengers" in the Buick or the motor home? Some Italian guy from NJ is curious...

:o

12 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

“Now youse can’t leave”.  From A Bronx Tale.

• Haha 3

On 3/15/2023 at 8:54 PM, Mudbone said:

This is the current location of the 56 Buick as of today. Buried in 1973. (Aproximitly 6 foot deep)  I have been trying to get my nephew to let me dig it up, but he just gives me that real strange look........

Old sate rd Buick.jpg

Keep the cool stuff coming.

We had a neighbor who buried cars in the yard after they were done driving them, hate to have been the person that purchased that house and property.

Bob

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Mudbone said:

It would be much worse. I think they flattened it with a loader and I understand other scrap metal was added to the hole.

Wow! There must have been some very deep, dark hatred for that car. God only knows what it must have done to your family.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:49 AM, Machine Gun said:

Wow! There must have been some very deep, dark hatred for that car. God only knows what it must have done to your family.

No, we loved that car. It served us well. 

9 hours ago, Mudbone said:

No, we loved that car. It served us well. 

Your description of the car's ultimate disposition just reminded me of those criminal cases you hear about where someone is so hated that they're murdered, mutilated, and then unceremoniously buried in a dump with other trash. Hence my tongue-in-cheek post.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:19 AM, lancemb said:

I don't think there would be much left of the Buick if you dug it up.   It would be more sad than anything! 

I would be very curious to see this buick come out of the ground and see what condition it is in :) 

13 hours ago, Mudbone said:

A good friend gave me this!

your friend gave you a great gift ! ;) 

• Like 1