1950 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible, not mine.

Doesn't look like too bad a buy for 23,000.  (more photos in the ad)  I kind of like these.  One would have to check that driver's side quarter behind the door. Something weird in the way the paint reflects but otherwise it looks good for the money. 

Here is the text for the Ad.

This is a wonderful and rare Chrysler New Yorker Convertible with an inline 8 engine sporting 135 horsepower. There were only 899 of these made that year so few people have ever seen one in person. The vehicle starts right up and runs very quiet and smooth. The transmission is the famous semi-automatic fluid drive that Chrysler was known for. It has a powered retractable top that has a brand-new cover. It sports a new set of whitewall tires and is ready to cruise around town or to your next car show. The chrome is in good condition, but the paint does have some chips and scratches, so it is not in show condition. With a new paint job and some body work though, this car could be a showstopper. The engine block has some rust but is mechanically sound other than a small oil leak near the front of the engine. Overall, this car is solid and is so much fun to drive.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that left rear quarter is not quite straight, something needs to be addressed there. The Fluid Drive clutch pedal is down on the floor for some reason. Warm weather driving only is suggested as the entire heater system under the hood is missing. Nice chrome but the seller admits the car needs some body work & paint, a considerable expense today. $23,000 but IMO the car is not ready for prime time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Someone once said something that has always confused me, was there a period of time when the New yorker line was more upscale than the Imperials?

Hudsy- I believe the New Yorker was Chryslers answer to Cadillacs 60S. A special edition set apart by some styling and fitment.  I say “I believe “ and would not mind a Mopar expert confirming or denying.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:55 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Someone once said something that has always confused me, was there a period of time when the New yorker line was more upscale than the Imperials?

In 1939 New Yorkers and Saratogas had special interiors and some minor exterior trim differences that the Imperial did not. 

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Model naming and pricing for the eight-cylinder Chryslers was a bit scrambled for 1938-1941, at least relative to what we were used to postwar.   As background, for 1935-'36 the Imperial name had been applied to only to the upper three series Airflows.  For 1937, the Imperial Airflow C-17 and CW Custom Imperial Airflows were retained as well as the non-Airflow lwb Imperial Custom C-15.  New was the $1,100 medium-priced Imperial C-14, essentially an eight-cylinder version of the six-cylinder Royal.

For 1938, the medium-priced Imperial Eight C-19 continues along with the lwb C-20 Custom Imperial, the Airflows gone.  But, within the C-19 Imperial appeared a single sedan sub-series named "New York Special" at $1,370 with special broadcloth interiors, unique grille treatment and other special amenities.  The Imperial Eight C-19 continued the $1,198 sedan.

1939 is when it gets really scrambled: Series C-23 comprises Imperial, New Yorker and Saratoga.  The $1,198 Imperial sedan continues, the New York Special becomes New Yorker at $1,298 sedan and the $1,443 Saratoga joins.  Each of the latter shared unique grilles, the New Yorker emphasizing luxury two-tone interiors and rich appointments.  The Saratoga the 'sport luxury' with leather and Beford Cord interiors.  All three models received the Hayes-bodied Victoria Coupes: Imperial (35), New Yorker (99) Saratoga (134).  By the way, there were no factory-bodied Chrysler convertibles for the 1939 model year.  The lwb C-24 Custom Imperial continues separately.

Things get sorted out somewhat for 1940: designated C-26, the plain Imperial is replaced with the Traveler, allowing the Imperial name to be solely associated with the lwb now C-27 Crown Imperial.   In the price/appointments pecking order, New Yorker stays put, is joined by New Yorker Highlander with the Saratoga toping out the hierarchy. 

One last switch for 1941: All Series C-30, the Saratoga takes the entry eight-cylinder position below New Yorker and the New Yorker Highlander takes the top spot.    This order continues into the postwar years.  The lwb C-33 Crown Imperial continues but one last wild card: based on the C-30 platform, a single Crown Imperial Special Town Sedan for $1,760 was offered, generated 894 sales, then disappeared the next year!

All clear on this now, are we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3