401 air cleaner

jframe

Just put in some repop GS valve covers, and kinda wanting to add a chrome air cleaner, 14 inch diameter or so. Anyone know a source for a dropped base to fit the original AFB neck size, and one that won't interfere with kickdown linkage, hood clearance, etc? If I can find one that fits, I plan to add the original style 65 decal to the top part.PXL_20230225_024240389.jpg.023e48494bf5441b7bbc996dedd8eb59.jpg

PXL_20230225_024252071.jpg

Just now, crowvet said:

That A/C compressor appears to be really restricting your heater hose. Is there a better way you could reroute it? I know this is not why you posted, and I mean no disrespect. Your engine looks great. 

It's actually got more slack than the pic shows; it's s not linked or compressed in any way. That pic really does make it looks like it needs to be longer, or something though.

2 minutes ago, jframe said:

It's actually got more slack than the pic shows; it's s not linked or compressed in any way. That pic really does make it looks like it needs to be longer, or something though.

Good deal, Just looking out for ya.😂

Over the past 45 years I have had a couple of correct 1964 Riviera 425 air cleaners but I always keep reverting to the 401 cleaner. I like seeing the nailhead engine.

In your instance I would just get your existing air cleaner chromed. It looks like it belongs there. So much aftermarket stuff looks so after thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Or, possibly go 'retro' and do it in red crinkle finish...?

Color chase 1963 Riviera air cleaner cover - Buick Riviera - Antique  Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums

Don't know though, that red against the green engine may clash lol. Looks awesome with silver though

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

How about one of the Caddy/Olds batwing air cleaners with your “Wildcat 445” decal on it?

I have considered those as well. Matt Martin sells them at Centerville Auto.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:59 AM, jframe said:

I have considered those as well. Matt Martin sells them at Centerville Auto.

Polished alloy batwing with the grills on top to tie in with the rocker covers, I like that 💭 

bit hard to lay the decal though

Edited by Dundee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

IMO, stock engine bays look eh dressed up w aftermarket parts or lots of chrome. The chromed air cleaner is not really going to match the brushed aluminum valve covers. You'll also pay through the nose. The whole thing can be stripped & repainted as stock, which you can do at home. BAM! you just saved $$$. The side decals are available, but I think they've stopped reproducing the aluminum Wildcat"decal". Yours looks like its already coming loose, but take great care removing it as it can be easily damaged. Also be aware the stock lid is slightly concave where the decal is applied, so it may not fit well to another surface. If you do go chrome, maybe doing just the lid would look better. You wouldn't be blinded by a chrome explosion when you open the hood. You could polish the ribs & lettering on the v-covers, & that, along with the chrome oil filler, would tie everything together.  Drew 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RIVNIK said:

IMO, stock engine bays look eh dressed up w aftermarket parts or lots of chrome. The chromed air cleaner is not really going to match the brushed aluminum valve covers.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. When I think of engine compartment dress up I get this mental picture of a rotating rack with Cal Custom chrome master cylinder covers in bubble packs. Sort of like chaps on the guy riding the pony in front of the drugstore.

It needs to be custom fabricated and unique, seamless.

• Like 2

If I were to add a shiny new piece of bling, everything surrounding it would look like a haggard old bar rag. I put sweat equity towards the "I'm 60 years old, but I'm a young 60 and in fight shape" look.

If I were considering a makeover of aluminum valve covers and chrome air cleaners they would be well used, in very good condition and with a patina that matches that particular vehicle.

That's strictly my personal preference, and with all that said, Mark's car looks great and would love to see it in person. You should be very proud. Steve 9236

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

If I were considering a makeover of aluminum valve covers and chrome air cleaners they would be well used, in very good condition and with a patina that matches that particular vehicle.

Concur

On 2/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, jframe said:

Anyone know a source for a dropped base to fit the original AFB neck size

I'm surprised that Air Cleaner fits a 1st Gen Riv's hood clearance.

Only adapters I've seen is to adapt older AFB/4GC to a modern Air Cleaner with the larger hole and only one that goes the other way but, will raise a vintage Air Cleaner. The link and image for the latter is below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-WCFB-Rochester-4GC-adapter-for-stock-air-cleaner-on-Edelbrock-carburetor/362081315039

image.png.0964b457a908f1d344f69474a4d83578.png

On another note, I noticed a late model Sanden compressor so no need for the rear bracket which I'm not sure fits over those cast aluminum valve covers. I know it has been discussed before.

What works with the original rear bracket?

image.png.59a01d3acdb8ad319ca590934793a5f8.png

21 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Concur

I'm surprised that Air Cleaner fits a 1st Gen Riv's hood clearance.

Only adapters I've seen is to adapt older AFB/4GC to a modern Air Cleaner with the larger hole and only one that goes the other way but, will raise a vintage Air Cleaner. The link and image for the latter is below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-WCFB-Rochester-4GC-adapter-for-stock-air-cleaner-on-Edelbrock-carburetor/362081315039

image.png.0964b457a908f1d344f69474a4d83578.png

On another note, I noticed a late model Sanden compressor so no need for the rear bracket which I'm not sure fits over those cast aluminum valve covers. I know it has been discussed before.

What works with the original rear bracket?

image.png.59a01d3acdb8ad319ca590934793a5f8.png

I think the standard rear bracket would have to be modified in some way, or get a bracket from a Gran Sport, which are pretty expensive when found. My Alan Grove a/c bracket eleminated the bracket entirely.

Edited by jframe (see edit history)

The heater hose routing can be cleaned up a lot. There is a fairly complicated molded hose from the heater outlet. When I replace my hoses next time I am thinking of forming steel pipes running between the valve cover and the intake on the right hand side. Just short rubber hoses will connect like some of the mid 1990 cars.

There are a few styles of side by side hose clamps to tidy up the various parallel hoses. I would use black painted ones instead of chrome.

I prefer the look and clamping design of Corbin clamps on my hoses, much cleaner. If I use a worm gear clamp I usually rotate the gear and tail to a hidden location.

Luckily there aren't Phillips head screws to clock in there. My wife looks into my home office and just shakes her head. She asks how I can be so fussy about the cars and oblivious about other surroundings.

• Like 1

Heater hose that runs between the intake and valve cover can be gotten from Gates with a 90* bend. I used a 3/4” to 5/8” for my installation of a Vintage Air system. They make them with same size on both ends. Both hoses fit very nicely in that space. 

The Alan Grove bracket works fine with a Sanden compressor. 

The adaptor shown for Air cleaner is not a good thing. I was using one with an Edelbrock and had a serious leaning problem at different throttle positions, verified with AFR gauge. If you do a calculation of the differences in sizes you will see there’s  almost a 50% difference in area between the two. I’m in the process of opening my air cleaner to a true 5 1/8” which should correct the problem. I’ll post more on the modification once I have it finished. 

Ray

57EB89B0-0FCC-40A2-B255-D29EA3BCD673.jpeg

8593B43D-352D-43D0-B564-C3798BB9D5CB.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s a couple of ideas. Eventually the spark plug cover will be painted and the fins will be polished aluminum.  I also measured and this finned breather cover will fit on an original 63/64 breather.  Paint the breather body green to match and put the finned cover on it.

A15747BD-A7A0-4273-AA8C-AD52200C57D4.jpeg.ebb0e78676bbe2683eccfb20de50eef3.jpeg8C67280C-D59B-4EF4-8BDC-7BAF590B4C23.jpeg.c9c5ecef4cbc8f3ba43c1ca84f35c351.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Heater hose that runs between the intake and valve cover can be gotten from Gates with a 90* bend.

Agree on that Air Cleaner Adapter. That's why I prefer a '66 Riviera Pancake air cleaner.

So many questions on Ray's engine image. Very nice!

• A P/N on that 90° hose from Gates?
  • I really like those fasteners. What and where?
  • What size is your Edelbrock CARbureTER (Carter WCFB tag LOL)? 750 CFM?
  • Finally, what are the vacuum ports? Yours has two. Passenger side is "ported" and the gauge side is "not ported"? 

I believe the original AFBs are "Not ported" but others argue that they are ported.

Thanks!

image.png.00b45ad72ed005f8701c642d82baf35e.png

18 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Here’s a couple of ideas. Eventually the spark plug cover will be painted and the fins will be polished aluminum.  I also measured and this finned breather cover will fit on an original 63/64 breather.  Paint the breather body green to match and put the finned cover on it.

A15747BD-A7A0-4273-AA8C-AD52200C57D4.jpeg.ebb0e78676bbe2683eccfb20de50eef3.jpeg8C67280C-D59B-4EF4-8BDC-7BAF590B4C23.jpeg.c9c5ecef4cbc8f3ba43c1ca84f35c351.jpeg

I actually bought a drop base off eBay to fit early AFB's. Hopefully, it won't put the kickdown in a bind or interfere with anything else. If it works, my thinking is a black 14" top with a reproduction decal like my car has now, NOT a metal plate. Maybe a 14x3 element

17 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Agree on that Air Cleaner Adapter. That's why I prefer a '66 Riviera Pancake air cleaner.

• Finally, what are the vacuum ports? Yours has two. Passenger side is "ported" and the gauge side is "not ported"? 

I believe the original AFBs are "Not ported" but others argue that they are ported.

Thanks!

1. Gates hose 3/4” to 5/8” #18075 -60 used on Vintage Air conversion.

2. ARP hardware.

3. 750 CFM Edelbrock, would’ve gone with a 800 AVS2 if they were available at the time.

4. You are correct on the vacuum ports. The loose line goes into the cab so I can see what the vacuum looks like while driving as  I dial the carb in. 

Ray

1 hour ago, jframe said:

I actually bought a drop base off eBay to fit early AFB's. Hopefully, it won't put the kickdown in a bind or interfere with anything else. If it works, my thinking is a black 14" top with a reproduction decal like my car has now, NOT a metal plate. Maybe a 14x3 element

The base for my setup, the finned aluminum cover, is from one of the items to which you’re referring.  It has the drop base with the Q-jet tomAFB adapter ring.  I ran an open element filter on my 63 for a number of year with the drop base. There was never a problem with linkage clearance or hood clearance.  The only problem you might encounter would be an element that is too tall.  Once you know the diameter of the base, go into your local jobber with a tape measure and pull a few filters out of the boxes.  Find the right diameter and chose one that is a good height. 

The element that I used was a NAPA 2079 (made by Wix, #42079).  It has a 13.55 in diameter and a 1-7/8” height.  The engine was never starved for air.

• Like 1

I bought that air cleaner assembly from Speedway Automotive.  They still sell it, which includes the Qjet to AFB adapter, stud w/ wing nut, and a provision for hooking up a breather hose (which you won’t need.)  It comes with a 14” x 2” filter element. I’m pretty sure I used that original 2” element when I bought it and when it needed replacing, the NAPA element was the closet thing I could find locally BAP (Before Amazon Prime) and being able to search the internet. A search now reveals all sorts of 14” x 2” elements.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I bought that air cleaner assembly from Speedway Automotive.  They still sell it, which includes the Qjet to AFB adapter, stud w/ wing nut, and a provision for hooking up a breather hose (which you won’t need.)  It comes with a 14” x 2” filter element. I’m pretty sure I used that original 2” element when I bought it and when it needed replacing, the NAPA element was the closet thing I could find locally BAP (Before Amazon Prime) and being able to search the internet. A search now reveals all sorts of 14” x 2” elements.

I know these engines like lots of air and big carbs, so I figure an open element can help. My AFB was just built by Tom Telesco, so I really don't want to change it; it works really well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Thanks!

CB2D1A1E-7056-43D9-97C4-FD1E8D854E14.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@JanZverina contacted me for some dimensions of the filter I posted.  After doing some more research on this filter, it shares the part number that is used on the 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood, the 1959 Oldsmobile, the 1966 Buick Riviera GS, the 1966 Buick (Skylark) GS.

GS.E565A4E4-A138-45CA-9BE0-A3F9365CA52C.jpeg.463709705992bcbfdfa4fb1657c4098a.jpeg

4B41B720-0955-4A27-83F3-179DA3A00644.jpeg.ef681d9d6744e8f2e2776e4d388bf444.jpeg

065B7AC7-8B6F-468B-A847-445D16767E75.jpeg.8a21d54fc15b5180aef95baa7ab2c0df.jpeg

C17E6F33-12D6-4453-A5F3-70A1A8854CA0.jpeg.1f1f87801cff4ce794639f59b17376e1.jpeg

Would checking with some of these vintage car clubs perhaps reveal another source?

Ed

• Like 1