Need to Weld Quarter Inch Square Stock to a Cam Lock, Dissimilar Metals Problem

leomara

This vintage cam lock requires a 1 inch long square piece of 5/16 steel stock welded to it so it can be used to activate a rumble seat latch.  I do not know welding but the person I asked to do it could not find a rod that would allow him to join both metals.  

100_3754.JPG

100_3753.JPG

100_3755.JPG

If they are both steel, it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the amperage was too low and no penetration took place. If you’re anywhere near Millville, NJ , I’d be happy to take a look at it for you.

A keyed lock for a rumble seat? Usually always a handle so you can turn the latch and lift up at the same time. That lock tumbler is either a white metal or aluminum and you cannot weld steel to it. Can you show a picture of the rumble lid and tell us make/year of car. 

Fordy, no, not without going into the lock mechanism.  chistech, no T-handle here, 1928 Chrysler roadster, see photo.  31nash880, I've modified the latch by changing the spring to a lesser tension.

M rumble (2020_11_17 14_08_57 UTC).jpg

20 hours ago, leomara said:

I believe (because I do not have the part in my position now) we are talking stainless to mild steel.  The square crimp on the cam lock is stainless and the square piece of stock is steel.

If that is the case just use stainless welding rod. 

• Like 1

Typically the cylinder of the lock (where the tumblers are) is a zinc casting or such. So, no welding that to anything else, like the steel square stock.🙁 Looks like a typical tool box lock.

So Frank Du Val, do you have a work around? Perhaps an epoxy like JB Weld would work if I create some cavities in the metal and  rough it up so the epoxy would have something to anchor to.  What about Muggy Weld?  What about solder?  There are a host of two part epoxy products that all claim to bond metal to metal and have good feedback from users.

Edited by leomara
More information (see edit history)

Is there enough room to make a steel L with the square stock as one leg and thin steel (same thickness as the "tongue") in the shape of the "tongue" on the lock pictured? Then drill two holes through the "tongue" and the leg of the L. Bolt together.

• Like 1

👍👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, leomara said:

So here is the finished product, not very attractive but fully functional.

100_3788.JPG

As Ed would say, "That's a Tractor Mechanic fix." 🤓 If it works, run with it. 😁

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:03 PM, leomara said:

Fordy, no, not without going into the lock mechanism.  chistech, no T-handle here, 1928 Chrysler roadster, see photo.  31nash880, I've modified the latch by changing the spring to a lesser tension.

M rumble (2020_11_17 14_08_57 UTC).jpg

Hi Leomara glad to see you sorted your lock problem

while looking at this photo it has solved a puzzle for me my Chrysler 72 is the same set up

the lock is missing on mine I was looking for a t handle as I yOFTXdUvQhhQpE5cXCE3J9BZZ6QeDJpRqTSbPGMX.jpg.78c85ec23b51f7697d088ce7fce82a3a.jpgyOFTXdUvQhhQpE5cXCE3J9BZZ6QeDJpRqTSbPGMX.jpg.78c85ec23b51f7697d088ce7fce82a3a.jpgthought the handle on mine was the wrong one

but looking at yours its the same so i am looking for a lock like yours