Follow-Up To NOS Turbine Wheel Covers-DELIVERED!

Riviera63

My follow up comments were not meant to be complaints. They were merely meant to describe what I had received and then the steps I took to get them to a condition I would like them to be in. I understand that buying parts regardless of perceived previous condition is always a crap shoot. A lot happens in 60 years that people can't know or predict. I agree with Bob that regardless of a parts "title" an accurate description is a vital key, which many times is lacking. Having been and on the buying end I always try to describe the part I am selling accurately to the best of my ability.

I know that many people have issues with the term "NOS". I look at it as just a title that helps distinguish a parts past history. I don't for one minute think it means the part is perfect or without flaws. I think a more appropriate acronym might be "UOS" Unused Old Stock. 

I also understand that when I install an "NOS" part it becomes a used part. I do know that in many cases (not all) that a part that has not had 60 years of exposure to the elements and use may look or perform better than one that has. I have put a lot of work into these covers but, I also know that I may have had to do a lot more work with something that has seen some use. Ask Bob.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, gungeey said:

NOS Fact: soon as the particular item gets installed it's just another old used part.

Gungeey, Any 60 year old part needs attention especially if it is decorative bright work. NOS and fact are mutually exclusive. NOS is an indicator and half ass guide to get the prospective buyer to put down their money for a decent part. NOS is marketing and sales BS, not  an automotive term.

Plain English describing one of Turbinator’s shined up wheelcovers as “flawless , a number #8 on brightness scale, no scratches, all perfectly mounted studs in their bosses with 5/16ths x 18 tpi studs and flange nuts. Perfectly balanced powder coat applied per PPG color chart on the webs and vanes”. All BS. For me it’s better than NOS. And yes the part is used, but refinished to emulate what is thought to be original off the factory line. Still BS., but better than NOS.

Later Gator,

The Turbinator 

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:39 PM, Riviera63 said:

My follow up comments were not meant to be complaints. They were merely meant to describe what I had received and then the steps I took to get them to a condition I would like them to be in. I understand that buying parts regardless of perceived previous condition is always a crap shoot. A lot happens in 60 years that people can't know or predict. I agree with Bob that regardless of a parts "title" an accurate description is a vital key, which many times is lacking. Having been and on the buying end I always try to describe the part I am selling accurately to the best of my ability.

I know that many people have issues with the term "NOS". I look at it as just a title that helps distinguish a parts past history. I don't for one minute think it means the part is perfect or without flaws. I think a more appropriate anagram might be "UOS" Unused Old Stock. 

I also understand that when I install an "NOS" part it becomes a used part. I do know that in many cases (not all) that a part that has not had 60 years of exposure to the elements and use may look or perform better than one that has. I have put a lot of work into these covers but, I also know that I may have had to do a lot more work with something that has seen some use. Ask Bob.

Bill

Bill, without fear of beating my head up against a dead horse mixing metaphors makes my message crystal clear. 
Your explanation “ clearifies” the subject of product description.  I could not have explained your experience and observations about our parts in car collecting any better were it mine.

Currently, I’m studying consistent or inconsistent product descriptions across manufacturers of automotive vinyl fabric. My guess is there are no standards in automotive vinyl fabric appearance description. For instance among manufacturers automotive paint charts may have different visual representations for the color red. I believe the same exists for different visual grain patterns in automotive upholstery vinyl. 
Industry proof sources are among the best when presenting evidence to clarify differences in similar products. To make a statement about what something is or is not when talking to people who belong to preservation societies is not going to convince many. 
Bill, I have this bridge for sale at a great price…..

Later Gator

Turbinator

19 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Bill, without fear of beating my head up against a dead horse mixing metaphors makes my message crystal clear. 
Your explanation “ clearifies” the subject of product description.  I could not have explained your experience and observations about our parts in car collecting any better were it mine.

Currently, I’m studying consistent or inconsistent product descriptions across manufacturers of automotive vinyl fabric. My guess is there are no standards in automotive vinyl fabric appearance description. For instance among manufacturers automotive paint charts may have different visual representations for the color red. I believe the same exists for different visual grain patterns in automotive upholstery vinyl. 
Industry proof sources are among the best when presenting evidence to clarify differences in similar products. To make a statement about what something is or is not when talking to people who belong to preservation societies is not going to convince many. 
Bill, I have this bridge for sale at a great price…..

Later Gator

Turbinator

Bob,

Don't sell your bridge, leave it where it is. I have this picturesque river I can sell you that would look perfect flowing under your bridge. In fact, we are having a winter closeout sale right now. Only one left, act now before it's gone!

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:12 AM, EmTee said:

Same goes for buying NEW parts these days...

Yes Sir, new bolts poorly made that break so easy are known as “ butter bolts” by some. Even though the “butter bolt” hex head are marked grade eight and still break is some cheap s;$(.

6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

It seems to me most of us zero in on

the condition and quality of the part.

That may be the case for die-cast chrome. It is not photogenic so, at the mercy of the Seller describing any pitting.

However, my experience has been incorrect parts. Or, because of mega-$$ price tag, I was complacent and assumed the shipped product was 100%.

I don't return any failed purchases. Holding off on any new purchases except show-stopper parts. This year's plan is to clean up and move parts I'll never use.

10 hours ago, XframeFX said:

That may be the case for die-cast chrome. It is not photogenic so, at the mercy of the Seller describing any pitting.

However, my experience has been incorrect parts. Or, because of mega-$$ price tag, I was complacent and assumed the shipped product was 100%.

I don't return any failed purchases. Holding off on any new purchases except show-stopper parts. This year's plan is to clean up and move parts I'll never use.

I just unloaded a pick up load in boxes.

Sale price for me was ok. The reason for the wholesale was quite frankly I could not stand behind what I didn’t know. Many of the parts were still in boxes, but I didn’t know if the part worked. Long story short: I’m in the short run planning for all my projects. I tell my wife if want a project completed do it now. Please do not ignore the obvious. ( I plan out ahead important things).

Im keeping with my dash pads and bright metal work and powder coating.

I do some one off emblem work and sometimes I have to do 3 emblems to get one item merchantable.

turbinator

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, XframeFX said:

YES!

Not necessarily. When you buy from the Turbinator you always come out a winner. Turbinator repairs or replaces to your satisfaction. Not happy? Send it back Turbinator refunds your money 100%. Crap shoot over.

Truly, the purchase of parts can be frustrating.

Later Gator

• Like 1

Wow. I am feeling I should apologize or at least feel bad about exercising such poor judgement in buying these but, I won't.

I am one of I am sure many that do not have the funds and/or desire to do a full restoration on their car. Because of this, it is my/our cross to bear that we have to resort to using these "inferior" parts. 

As much as their seems to be a bias against "NOS" parts in some people's minds no one will ever convince me that in most cases (not all) that a 60 year old "unused" part is not preferable to a 60 year old "used" part.

My car, my way. Your car, your way. Neither one better than the other, just different.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:32 AM, Riviera63 said:

Wow. I am feeling I should apologize or at least feel bad about exercising such poor judgement in buying these but, I won't.

I am one of I am sure many that do not have the funds and/or desire to do a full restoration on their car. Because of this, it is my/our cross to bear that we have to resort to using these "inferior" parts. 

As much as their seems to be a bias against "NOS" parts in some people's minds no one will ever convince me that in most cases (not all) that a 60 year old "unused" part is not preferable to a 60 year old "used" part.

My car, my way. Your car, your way. Neither one better than the other, just different.

Bill

Bill I just can’t wait to see the turbines on you car..who cares where it comes from as long as it looks the part! 
Who knows it may inspire me to get a set for myself one day…

dundee

• Like 1

The bottom line is your personal assessment of the item you purchased. I like written specific specifications describing the item in the automotive world. Not many, including myself, are good at writing English. Writers are looking for short cuts and we take them. From what I see of your photographs and one of yours I have  now they are in the best shape I’ve ever seen. Want to sell ? I’ll give you $1600.00 today for the four you have. No written description required.

I just learned there are brightness levels of reflection indicated by glossometers. A tool for everything?

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

The 4th NOS cover that was not up to par with the other 3 has been sent to the Turbinator for him to work his magic. My new Diamondbacks will be mounted on my car next Tuesday. In the meantime I have been working to get the extra cover I bought from Steve Lorenzen and the other 3 ready for the day they can be mounted on the car. All 4 have been cleaned, masked and the webs given a fresh coat of paint. 

Bill

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

New tires were mounted on Wednesday and got the first 2 Turbines mounted today. So far so good.

Bill 

20230519_165400.jpg

20230519_165425.jpg

20230519_165858.jpg

20230519_165910.jpg

Sharp setup Bill. I may be biased though. I have the same setup on my 63.

IMG_5548.jpeg

• Like 6

I am 3/4 of the way done and it will stay that way for awhile. Much to my surprise one of my rims was a 5 1/2" rim, so the turbine will not fit. How that happened I have no clue. I specifically wanted, searched and found what I thought were all 6" rims. Apparently, I did not check them all and assumed all that I bought were 6". We all know what happens when we do that. I have a decision to make as to just getting the shorter studs for the cover or source another 6" rim. 

Bill 

20230520_160719.jpg

20230520_160730.jpg

20230520_160805.jpg

20230520_160659.jpg

20230520_160937.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I have a decision to make as to just getting the shorter studs for the cover or source another 6" rim. 

Can you swap the 5 1/2" wheel with the spare (assuming it is 6")?

17 hours ago, EmTee said:

Can you swap the 5 1/2" wheel with the spare (assuming it is 6")?

That is a good thought. I had that thought as well. If I remember correctly that rim was put in the spare position because it had a very slight wobble. It probably could have been mounted and used without a problem but, since I had 4 other good 6" rims (or so I thought) why chance it. I have 4 shorter studs on the way. I still may try to see if I can scare up a good 6" rim.

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Thanks to the Turbinator supplying me with the shorter studs all of my Turbines are on.

Looks good Bill! Your new rollers are making me a little apprehensive switching from 30 year 3/4" WSWs I took for granted and awaiting 1.4" WSWs arriving soon. Hmmm . . . 

On 5/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, dr914 said:

as long as we are posting arctic white cars with turbos:

I do not have Turbine wheels. So, I won't post my '63 White Riviera with Tri-Shield Wire Hubcaps. Anyone care to swap my 'caps for nice Turbines? LOL.

The M-9 Option wasn't as expensive as wire 'caps in '64. Go figure.

14 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Looks good Bill! Your new rollers are making me a little apprehensive switching from 30 year 3/4" WSWs I took for granted and awaiting 1.4" WSWs arriving soon. Hmmm . . . 

I do not have Turbine wheels. So, I won't post my '63 White Riviera with Tri-Shield Wire Hubcaps. Anyone care to swap my 'caps for nice Turbines? LOL.

The M-9 Option wasn't as expensive as wire 'caps in '64. Go figure.

Probably looks something like this.

Bill

P7271019.JPG

• Like 2