1955 DeSoto Firedome sedan 62K mi $12K Wyoming

Do you guys think that the pink devalues this car much? If it were a medium blue or green with the black would it sell for more? Much more? Or, is the question, would it find more interested buyers at the same price? I find the pink striking, but I think that I would tire of it quickly. What are your thoughts?

Pink does not devalue it at all, I really like the pink & black, it sets this car apart from all the rest. When you see these DeSotos, they're usually (ho-hum) two tone blue, two tone green, red & white or something similar which is OK but this car really pops and stands out. I prefer the pink & black to pink & white. I wouldn't get tired of it. Black or gray & white is too plain. My second choice would be yellow & black. I don't care for the 3-tones as they just don't look right. As always though car colors are subjective, pick your favorites. Very nice car but a couple of minor nit-picks: There's a beautiful black plastic emblem on the front of the hood (hard to find? unobtanium?)  but the lower stainless trim is missing on the driver's side doors (those pieces can't be that hard to find can they?). Also the two O's on the hood & the trunk are installed backwards. Wrong outside mirror too. Still a beautiful example IMO. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Do you guys think that the pink devalues this car much? 

To my taste, the pink and black don't suit this DeSoto sedan well.

The styling is too formal for pink, and the black somehow doesn't

set it off.  Maybe it's that sporty color sweep that looks out of place

on a sedan, and is much better looking on a 2-door hardtop.

That being said, I have a 1957 Cadillac 4-door hardtop

in 2-tone coral and mountain laurel, which I bought specifically

for the unusual colors.  The top is a very pale pink:

1957 Cadillac--mine at 2014 Latimore 1a.JPG

1957 Cadillac Fleetwood--mine 2021 (5).JPG

• Like 8

Pastels, such as pink, contrasted with a neutral such as gray, black or white were the latest way to display one's fashionable good taste in that era.  Along with plenty of chrome trim and flamboyant styling, it makes these cars very identifiably of their times which is their primary appeal now. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, The 55er said:

Pink does not devalue it at all, I really like the pink & black, it sets this car apart from all the rest. 

---

Also the two O's on the hood & the trunk are installed backwards. Wrong outside mirror too. Still a beautiful example IMO. 

Pink (Coral?) and black was very representative of the mid-1950s era,

and thanks for the catch per the reversed "O"s .

Aftermarket mirror was either an afterthought, a cheaper alternative to "factory-supplied & dealer-installed" of the era, or per a subsequent owner

• Like 1

1955 DeSoto Firedome sedan 62K mi $12K

I think you're seeing the appeal of 4 door sedans here. Can you imagine the asking price today for a 2 door hardtop version of the same car in the same condition? I'm guessing it would be multiples of what they're asking for this nice 4 door DeSoto. At least twice the money. For many of us, that's the difference between being able to be in the old car hobby and not being able to be in the old car hobby.

I had a running driving  '55 Chrysler 2 door hardtop that was less than 12k, but that was years ago and not in the condition of the DeSoto. The Chrysler was solid and rust free, but basically kind of tired and worn out. 

I don't want you guys to think that I was criticizing the pink color for it's own sake. I like it, but I know that guys can be a bit touchy about things that have anything to do with their masculinity. No, I was just wondering whether you guys though it effected the dollar value of the car.

6 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't want you guys to think that I was criticizing the pink color for it's own sake. I like it, but I know that guys can be a bit touchy about things that have anything to do with their masculinity. No, I was just wondering whether you guys though it effected the dollar value of the car.

I would say first off that IMO the style of the car is most important. It is hard to choose the color of a used car unless you are willing to do a new paint job. I do believe that some people will be put off by the pink. I remember as a very young boy my grandfather bought a '57 Chrysler and I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen, but that was a beautiful car in any color. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't want you guys to think that I was criticizing the pink color for it's own sake.

I wonder what that color was called by DeSoto back then? It's not really pink, strictly speaking. Other companies who did variations on that color would call it "salmon" or "coral" or something like that. (Probably because the name "pink" would keep some male car buyers away.) Anyway, to me, it's one of those color schemes that only looks good on a 1950's two-tone American automobile. I cringe at the thought of a sofa, sports coat or house in that color - even with black as an accent - though I'm sure they had them back in the 1950's. The color conjures up the positive vibes of that era, but I really only like it on cars.

• Like 2

Yes, the word pink turns some men off. Why? I don't know. Some men obviously aren't comfortable with their own masculinity. I couldn't give a crap. I have a pink Fender Stratocaster guitar, and I've owned pink drums, pink shirts, etc. I think pink cars are the bomb, and another reminder how boring car colors are these days. 

The Gretsch company released a pink guitar years ago and called the finish, "Man Salmon," I guess in an effort to lure male buyers. Conversely, they also made a guitar in the early '60's called the Princess, made specially for female buyers. The colors were all pastel. The guitars were a commercial flop, and very few exist today. Even the control knobs had fake jewels inlaid in them. 

Shell Pink Strat #2.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 10:11 PM, DrumBob said:

Yes, the word pink turns some men off. Why? I don't know. Some men obviously aren't comfortable with their own masculinity. I couldn't give a crap. I have a pink Fender Stratocaster guitar, and I've owned pink drums, pink shirts, etc. I think pink cars are the bomb, and another reminder how boring car colors are these days. 

The Gretsch company released a pink guitar years ago and called the finish, "Man Salmon," I guess in an effort to lure male buyers. Conversely, they also made a guitar in the early '60's called the Princess, made specially for female buyers. The colors were all pastel. The guitars were a commercial flop, and very few exist today. Even the control knobs had fake jewels inlaid in them. 

Shell Pink Strat #2.jpg

The styling is the main thing IMO. some cars can pull it off and some can't. My grandfathers '57 Chrysler really looked cool. There comes a time when you have to part with the car, no one lives forever and I believe that pink hurts a cars resale value. Coral on the other hand is way cool IMO. The Srat will hold it's value and looks cool whatever the color. 

• Like 1