1975 Ford Maverick $10,000 ! 32,000 miles

Those 5 mph bumpers are hideous.    $10,000?  This is modern marketplace post pandemic, whether it's a house or an old car, ask 4 x as much. 

I posted for the curiosity factor.   Mavericks are pretty rare.   I think they made a "Grabber" which at least added 14" Magnums and a more attractive paint.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deac said:

10 grand? Why would you even think about a Maverick for 10 grand. This is a 15 hundred dollar wonder.

I completely agree.  There has to be a reality check and a correction of the market eventually.  Why would anyone buy this to enjoy the hobby?  Well lets think about it.  If you had some money and already had a 3-4 car collection with a couple of superstars in there, and were a Ford geek, I can see a person dropping "maybe" $3,000 on this car, doing some detail work and relieving their better cars from time to time for Ford club meets, maybe even AACA club meets or tours.  Not every car in a small collection needs to be a rock star. 

Part of my issue with this Maverick are the horrible bland mid 70's colors.  This would look much nicer in a dark blue.  The 250 6 cylinder is a stout bulletproof motor but don't expect to get 22 mpg with it.  I suspect 16 is about as good as it gets. 

• Like 1

I like the car. However, there are some cars I wouldn't buy, just on principle. The "principle" in this case is that my older brother bought a brand new 6 cylinder Maverick back in '74, 5 or 6 (can't remember which), and he only paid $2400 for it. Paying $10,000 would feel weird in light of this. It may have been a '76 because I seem to remember it having a "USA" theme, i.e., it might have been a bicentennial related model. Anyway, it was mostly white and was a special budget low end version. Lowest priced Maverick you could get at the time. Seemed like a good deal to him when he bought it, but not a few years later. By 60,000 miles (after it was out of warranty) it spent a lot of time on blocks in his front yard. Despite all that, I think it would be cool to own a mid-seventies Maverick, but not for 10 grand. Not saying it isn't worth it...just that I could never pay it.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Not every car in a small collection needs to be a rock star. 

42 minutes ago, JamesR said:

...Despite all that, I think it would be cool to own a mid-seventies Maverick, but not for 10 grand. 

I don't know whether Mavericks were good cars, but

they could certainly interest on-lookers at car shows:

"I had a car just like that!" 

"My dad had one when we were kids!"

"I haven't seen one of these for years!"

To the public, this might be at least as interesting as

a Classic that is worth 100 times as much.  People can

relate to Ford Mavericks or Chevrolet Citations, and

having one at a show might really brighten someone's day.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I don't know whether Mavericks were good cars, but

they could certainly interest on-lookers at car shows:

"I had a car just like that!" 

"My dad had one when we were kids!"

"I haven't seen one of these for years!"

To the public, this might be at least as interesting as

a Classic that is worth 100 times as much.  People can

relate to Ford Mavericks or Chevrolet Citations, and

having one at a show might really brighten someone's day.

I agree! So many cars from this era have just disappeared. Of course you could say there might be a reason...but I still want a Cadillac Cimarron to take to the Cadillac club meets. 

• Like 2