Steward Vacuum tank problem

stakeside

I am using the Steward carb and Steward vacuum tank on my original 29 DA6.

Both are rebuilt and I have had no problems other than my vacuum tank drains to empty over a period of about 2 weeks.

i thought i had it fixed when I placed a shutoff valve below the vacuum tank but after the truck sat for 1 month it drained dry again.

i consider the rebuilder of the carb as a good job. Sorry for pics sideways.

7BD2E009-2EE3-4B36-9624-E78C190F4D98.jpeg.e81d2b534cbcb113590ac085982a47ec.jpeg

0D952BE7-DBA7-4F8E-A9EC-734D860BC0F2.jpeg.2eea9d2255fdb0ffea4598d5ae3d8186.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, paulrhd29nz said:

Looks like your float bowl shut off is below the gas line. You need another gas rated fuel shut off between your tank and sediment bowl. The shut you have is only there to clean the bowl. 
tank must have a shut off. 

The key words are "gas rated."  I've bought shutoffs at marine stores which had diaphragms that must be diesel-rated, because the 10% ethanol wiped out the diaphragms in two years or less.  Look for one of the old style with no diaphragm.

• Like 1

paulrhd29nz, I'm not well versed on Stewart Warner Vacuum Tanks but I need to become that way because my 1928 Chrysler Model 72 uses one.  Are you implying that a gas shutoff valve is needed under the vacuum tank to keep the gas from seeping out when the car is parked?  And that that shutoff should be turned off whenever the car is parked?  Thank you.  Leo

• Like 1

Leaving the vacuum full should not leak out so quickly. Get one of those brass shut off valves from Restoration Supplies and install below the vacuum tank. Other than that look for wet fittings from below the vacuum past anywhere. Gas will slowly evaporate.   

The vac tanks had a shutoff valve between the tank and carb because the old-style float needles were not a positive enough seal. The shutoff valve prevented the carb from slowly flooding as gravity-fed gasoline eventually drained the vac tank.

Even with a modern more positive sealing Viton-tipped float needle in the carb, today's highly volatile gasoline can rather quickly evaporate out of the carb. I've seen good sized fuel bowls be bone dry in a month after last running the motor. As the gasoline evaporates the carb's float level drops, then the float needle valve opens and gasoline seeps into the carb from the vac tank. Given enough time that process will drain the vac tank unless you have the shutoff valve.

Paul  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You need to fit a brass tap. one similar to this between the bottom of the vacuum tank and your gas filter or else the gas will eventually evaporate, or leak slowly out. (Note this car had a filter going into the vac tank, yours is at the bottom)

A lot of cars do not have them as in the old days when you used these cars as daily transport a shut off valve probably wasn't needed. 

IMG_20230112_143450.jpg.b8efd96364a3f74f83c7be07a5b3c64f.jpg

Edited by viv w (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, paulrhd29nz said:

Looks like your float bowl shut off is below the gas line. You need another gas rated fuel shut off between your tank and sediment bowl. The shut you have is only there to clean the bowl. 

I'm not sure this is the issue but CHECK the sediment bowl unit that it is actually shutting off the fuel to the line. And completely.  This isn't actually a vacuum tank problem, but gas draining or evaporating away.  The carb will always seep a bit away. It's the nature of the setup.  And Yes Leomara, that is the way to do it if you aren't running it every few days. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, leomara said:

paulrhd29nz, I'm not well versed on Stewart Warner Vacuum Tanks but I need to become that way because my 1928 Chrysler Model 72 uses one.  Are you implying that a gas shutoff valve is needed under the vacuum tank to keep the gas from seeping out when the car is parked?  And that that shutoff should be turned off whenever the car is parked?  Thank you.  Leo

Correct, unless you drive your car on a regular basis, you should be getting into the habit of shutting off the fuel. 
it’s just a good safe habit to get into. 
and saves you battery and starter. 
If your losing fuel over a day or two of being left on, check your needle&seat and float. Leave brown cardboard under the car for tell tail signs. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:10 AM, paulrhd29nz said:

The bowl body is pot metal and was damaged. I plan to replace it. 

Note the shut off valve. It does seat closet to the tank and should shut down flow from the tank.

EC13BD4F-A616-4223-99EB-1BE1E4691ACC.jpeg.1b59f2e275341d00ac0a914003723ac6.jpeg

Would a positive in line shut off valve between the gas tank and the vacuum tank stop the vacuum tank from draining?

4 hours ago, stakeside said:

The bowl body is pot metal and was damaged. I plan to replace it. 

Note the shut off valve. It does seat closet to the tank and should shut down flow from the tank.

EC13BD4F-A616-4223-99EB-1BE1E4691ACC.jpeg.1b59f2e275341d00ac0a914003723ac6.jpeg

Would a positive in line shut off valve between the gas tank and the vacuum tank stop the vacuum tank from draining?

Nope, the shutoffs were always in the fuel line below the vac tank, between it and the carb, because the tank is vented. If you shutoff between gas tank and vac tank the vac tank will still leak down into the carb.

And if the float needle does not seal perfectly (they didn't when new that's why the manufacturers had the shutoff) you have gas spilling out of the carb onto the garage floor.  Gas fumes being heavier than air you may not smell it. One static spark from a shoe, or drop a steel tool on concrete and kaboom.  

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This is the bottom of my Stewart Warner 216-U Vacuum Tank.  The threaded hole is large.  Looking at fuel shut off valves and gas lines it would appear I need to go through some type of reduction fitting.  The fitting on the carburetor definitely is smaller.  I'm not well versed on NPT fittings and I have only the vacuum tank and carburetor which is a Zenith unit.  How do I configure this?

100_3736.JPG

100_3735.JPG

The local NAPA or O Reillys, or whatever has a collection of brass fittings. As suggested, take your pieces there and they will fit it up. 

Brass fittings are like wood screws, if you don't have them all, you don't have the correct one. 

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

Hey Stakeside, I went to the Dodge Bros. Club website and foraged around looking for a link that would take me to that book.  I had no luck, please provide me with some additional information.  Thank you.

I was able to find a replacement filter with the internal shut off valve at Napa. It was made in India and of very poor quality. I could not get it to seal when i tighten the bowl. The nut was made of pot metal would strip out if i used pliers. I returned it and found a reproduction AC at our local Chevy restoration parts dealer and it is an in line gas filter for $10 less. The bowl tighten nut is steel also. 

The shut off ball valve was found at Ace Hardware. 

Thanks for all your comments

92B65CF7-F408-4A12-817C-E1BD9A18DA82.jpeg.be56a874fc89c014a5d76233b0765e0b.jpeg

562AEB98-B1A3-42D5-9851-66B45F11ED2E.jpeg.98e22fbb45e9bbcd50f2617b9f946fee.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stakeside said:

I was able to find a replacement filter with the internal shut off valve at Napa. It was made in India and of very poor quality. I could not get it to seal when i tighten the bowl. The nut was made of pot metal would strip out if i used pliers. I returned it and found a reproduction AC at our local Chevy restoration parts dealer and it is an in line gas filter for $10 less. The bowl tighten nut is steel also. 

The shut off ball valve was found at Ace Hardware. 

Thanks for all your comments

92B65CF7-F408-4A12-817C-E1BD9A18DA82.jpeg.be56a874fc89c014a5d76233b0765e0b.jpeg

562AEB98-B1A3-42D5-9851-66B45F11ED2E.jpeg.98e22fbb45e9bbcd50f2617b9f946fee.jpeg

Great to see hopefully that solves the problems. One thing I find interesting is the position of your vacuum tank as most that I have seen are mounted on the same side as the manifold but you’d appears to be on the opposite, I’m not saying that it is incorrect but I do find it interesting.

1 hour ago, stakeside said:

My application is on a 29 Dodge Bros truck and that is where it was mounted when I got truck. Passenger cars may be different. Don’t know about them.

I just fired up my truck and it runs good.

Cool and great to hear that it is running good