Help finding year of postwar Buick Special

Vance C

I'm considering buying this car that's listed as a 1946 Buick Coupe. I don't think it's '46 from the grill. The data plate is missing but it does have a numbered plate (vin?) pictured. I know it's a Special because the seller has two script trims that say Special. There's no title. I think it's a '47 or '48. Can you tell me the year?

There's a Youtube video:

Can you help? Thanks

Buick Plate.jpg

00V0V_kf3VvURuHorz_0CI0sP_1200x900.jpg

01212_laHEFezUdEUz_0CI0sD_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_73xh6fBCkfFz_0CI0sw_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Vance C (see edit history)
  • Like 1

$5000 is much too high for a non running (per the pictures) project car in that condition with bondo everywhere and surface rust. The body rot in the front floors and cowl area is scary as well. I would run away from this inoperative titleless derelict that's apparently been sitting outside far too long. Never buy a rusty car and never buy a car without a title and/or proper paperwork. The seller's asking price is way out of line. Run away from this one, there are much better projects out there. I'm thinking the shiny parts that were taken off the car in the box are worth almost as much as the whole rest of the car. 

• Like 5

On 1/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, Vance C said:

I'm considering buying this car that's listed as a 1946 Buick Coupe. I don't think it's '46 from the grill. The data plate is missing but it does have a numbered plate (vin?) pictured. I know it's a Special because the seller has two script trims that say Special. There's no title. I think it's a '47 or '48. Can you tell me the year?

Can you help? Thanks

Buick Plate.jpg

● The Car Serial Number on the metal tag above (also called a Frame Serial Number by Buick that should match the number stamped on the frame rails) is a 1948 Buick production-year number just beyond the mid-point for the South Gate, California assembly plant.   

● The box of parts in the video show two SUPER scripts.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The price is only your entry fee. If you like it buy it. $5,000 will pale in the grand scheme of the project.

It looks solid and is a two door. If you bought it and were unhappy with the purchase when you got home you should be able to make it go away with a $2000 loss.

If you keep it for five years spending some time and money without stripping it to the bare frame you could get a lot of pleasure out of little jobs, daydreaming, searching for parts, and all the other joys of ownership. There is no inflexible law that you ever have to complete it.

Quality psychotherapy costs $100-$200 per hour. Look forward to the hidden benefits of owning a major project. I have bought much worse and always felt like I came out ahead in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1953mack said:

● The above Car Serial Number tag (also called a Frame Serial Number by Buick that should match the number stamped on the frame rails) is a shortly past the mid-point 1948 Buick production-year number for the South Gate, California assembly plant.   

● The box of parts in the video show two SUPER scripts.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Thank you. I thought so but really wanted an expert's opinion.

Missing stainless trim will have to be replaced with identical pieces. Each piece has a unique size, length & shape depending on the model of the vehicle. Possible sources are junkyards, parts vendors or Ebay. If the found parts are bent or damaged they will have to be restored by someone capable of straightening & restoring trim adding yet another expense to an already expensive project. Generally speaking trim pieces for 2-door cars are harder to find than for the 4-door models. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The price is only your entry fee. If you like it buy it. $5,000 will pale in the grand scheme of the project.

It looks solid and is a two door. If you bought it and were unhappy with the purchase when you got home you should be able to make it go away with a $2000 loss.

If you keep it for five years spending some time and money without stripping it to the bare frame you could get a lot of pleasure out of little jobs, daydreaming, searching for parts, and all the other joys of ownership. There is no inflexible law that you ever have to complete it.

Quality psychotherapy costs $100-$200 per hour. Look forward to the hidden benefits of owning a major project. I have bought much worse and always felt like I came out ahead in the long run.

Well I'm no stranger to buying a wreck and then spending a ton of time and money fixing it up. Miraculously I've always broke about even after the 1 to 5 years of work. So far I've had 2 60s Lincolns, 2 40s Zephyrs, a Continental Mark II, 46 Dodge PU, Karmann Ghia and just sold my 65 Dodge Dart vert to pay a tax bill. With the $ left over I just bought a minty 2000 BMW Z3 and I'm loving NOT having to restore it. But then I stumbled on this Buick, one of my all time favorite body styles. Now do I risk divorce and start another project? If I so I'd do it as a patina-look car (ala Icon Derelict) so that I don't have to re-chrome and paint. Can I get it running and put tires and brakes on it? Somebody please stop me before I go nuts, again.

• Haha 1

It's fairly difficult to determine if this is a 1947 or 1948 Buick, but it appears to be a Super.  Here's what I see to identify the car year.  It has the new for 1948 black, three spoke steering wheel.  The horn ring for this steering wheel is in the box of parts.  All 1947 Buicks used the ivory banjo steering wheel.  The chrome piece that mounts on the center of the hood above the grill is for a 1947.  The hood ornament in the parts box is the 1948 style, (1947 has no cross bar).  All 1948 Buicks had the model script mounted on the rear of the front fenders.  The script in the box would be correct for a 1948 but the locator holes in the fenders have had bondo repair in those area.  1946 and 1947 only had the model indicated on a disk mounted in the center of the bumper guard crossbar.  1947 was the last year that Buick used the firewall mounted coil with armored cable to the ignition switch on the inside.  I can't tell if there is a hole in the firewall for the coil.

Hope this helps you identify the year of the car.

• Like 1