1977 Chrysler Cordoba with Rich Corinthian Leather

Marketplace - 1977 Chrysler cordoba 2door coupe 400ci | Facebook

Seller's Description

We have an all original 1977 Chrysler Cordoba that has 39,517 original miles. It has a 400cu motor that has an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake and Edelbrock carburetor, MSD ready to run ignition system, recent full tune up, and is backed by a 727 Torqueflite 3 speed automatic transmission and a 10 bolt rear axle with 2.54 ratio. It is equipped with rich Corinthian leather interior, power front disc brakes, power steering, power windows, cruise control, factory air conditioning, new battery, and a working in dash clock. The exterior shows well and the trim, brightwork, moldings are all in good condition. The underbody really shows and backed up the original mileage. There is no rust, bubbling, patches, and no areas of concern. The electrical system is in good working condition with no issues and everything works as should. This is a turn key entry level collector car and is ready for a new home. This can be driven anywhere! There is a clean and clear MN title in hand. Additional photos and video available including underbody and lower panel walk around.

Product photo of 1977 Chrysler cordoba 2door coupe 400ci

• Like 2

I don't mind Cordobas and generally would never buy a white car.  Of the 250 + vehicles I have owned, I am not sure I have ever had a white painted car.  

But, this might be the exception because of the white bucket seat console interior.  I don't know, but this car probably changes hands at around $8,000 and I think will appreciate probably around 1-2% annually as boomers like me get even more nostalgic and muscle cars are out of reach priced in the $40,000 to $75,000 range.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

MIne was green, but otherwise identical.  Maybe the worst car I have ever owned.

Can you give us particulars about the problems

with the car?  Your first-hand experience can be

a valuable lesson, and a documentation of a slice

of history. 

If I'm correct, Chrysler Corp. cars were becoming

increasingly problematic in the late 1970's, leading

to loss of reputation and then to bankruptcy.

• Like 1

Jumping in here with my own experience of a very similar car I had:  a '79 Dodge Magnum GT.  Same body, 360 engine, also lean burn, happened to have an optional leather interior.   The mileage was approaching six figures as I recall.  California full life car so zero moisture concerns.  Bought it off the curb in next town over where it had very obviously sat for months.

The lean burn had it just barely running on 5 cylinders.  Seller and I literally chugged to a nearby car wash so I could look at the paint under the settled smog.

As a home mechanic, I replaced wires and plugs and played with induction and distributor and it did run VERY WELL from then on!  The only leather problem (med-dark blue) was the center console lid and Just Dashes refurbished that perfectly.  The car had not been maintained mechanically but I only recall doing very minor other items like a couple of wheel cylinders, bought a pair of tires, that sort of thing.   Seller refused to include the 8 track tapes stuffed into the console!!!

Granted Chrysler Corp was at a low point with the government bailout of their bankruptcy coming this year.  But my personal experience driving this car on SoCalif freeways was excellent.   A "Magnum Club" guy from Louisiana flew in with cash and literally 24 hours later called me from home to say his trip was trouble free.  I do not remember getting very good mileage but the car drove like it was on rails (I think it had HD anti-sway bars in the GT package).

Hey, I like that subject Cordoba a LOT and were I in the market, I would pursue further information for my interest.

79DodgeMagnumGT.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well I can't talk about Cordobas but I bough my 1980 Plymouth Volare in 2007 with 8500 miles on it. In the years since I have only done regular maintenance on it and it has never let me down. Now has about 33,000 on it. Body solid and paint is in good shape. No interior problems except where my fat*** has begun to affect the driver seat.

• Haha 1

I think one of the issues with those cars was the years when they mounted the electronic control module on the air filter. My parents eagerly waited for their either Diplomat or Cordoba to arrive. One of the first break in trips we took with it was on I-5 just north of Portland. We were headed back into town when the car just died and we coasted to the edge. I volunteered to climb down a steep bank and go find a phone. I don't think the car had 50 miles on it yet and have since read that this was a too common issue. Dad got a spare module and carried it in the trunk. Don't know if he had to use it or not. 

You start doing things like that to people and they shy away for your cars in a hurry. Who wants a car they can't trust. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I think one of the issues with those cars was the years when they mounted the electronic control module on the air filter.

Fossil, was that part of the "Lean Burn" system?

A mechanic I know specializes in Chrysler products

and says the Lean Burn can be deactivated,

thus eliminating some problems.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Fossil, was that part of the "Lean Burn" system?

Don't know anything about it. The wife and I just happened to be out there on vacation when they picked it up new. Dark green metallic with a white vinyl top. I remember that because the color didn't really set well with me. I think it was either the first or second year for electronic control systems. Before that everything was vacuum controlled. 

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. 

You know something John that's getting to be a long time ago already. Now that I'm thinking about it the car road hard also.  Dad ordered it with heavy duty suspension. Said the cars handled better set up that way. Maybe but I didn't like it. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have always thought that the first years' styling

of the Cordoba was superb, but I haven't pursued

any because of perceived unreliability.  Can any

forum-goers tell of more experiences?

I had a '79, and a few other Chrysler Corp products from the Malaise era.  Really they are not that bad and no worse than any brand car from that time period.   The main issue would be rust.  Mechanically they are very stout.  The only concerns would be the lean burn system operating properly and problems caused by faulty or unhooked emissions controls.  Compared to a modern car though they are quite simple and easy to work on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've owned 3 Cordoba's. 1st was a 1977. Blue with blue velour I bought from the original owner in 1981. 360 engine ran great, interior was mint, body not so much. It was already rusty and that's why he sold it to me. I drove it in the winter as a salty beater car as it was too far gone to save. Sold it for the engine for $500 in spring of 1982. Canadian winters killed a lot of them. Next was a 1979 Chrysler 300 Cordoba. White with red leather buckets, 360 E58 High performance engine in the late 90's. Good running car that needed very minor work as it was never winter driven and undercoated a few times. It brought $4500 around 2001. Then I found a really decent 1976 in original metallic brown paint a few years later but sold it after a few months as I ran out of storage. It brought only $1500.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 8:19 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have always thought that the first years' styling of the Cordoba was superb,

I've come to that opinion myself in recent years. I ignored them for decades because of the rather silly commercials.

Marketplace - 1979 Chrysler 300 | Facebook

Speaking of the Chrysler 300....

Seller's Description

1979 Chrysler 300 has the original 360 LA SB with only 32,000 miles. Factory original interior seats are in good condition except drivers seat has some wear. Car has been repainted once a long time ago. I also have the center caps to go with the original rims. Engine runs good carburetor’s been rebuilt new exhaust, spark plugs, wires, shocks, and belts all have been replaced. Brakes have also been gone through. Front to back has all been checked anything that needed to be replaced was replaced. Very nice driver rides smooth was originally from Florida so no rust very solid. Car is in very good condition considering the age you won’t find one with this low of miles for the price. Title in hand. Posting for my dad interested looking for something else. If it’s up it’s available if you don’t have the money don’t waste my time. If you are actually interested in buying the vehicle ask me any questions you may have otherwise don’t waste my time. $8500obo No trades
Product photo of 1979 Chrysler 300

Product photo of 1979 Chrysler 300

• Like 3

Mom had a Cordoba the first year they came out, maybe 76 or 77. It was dk brown with a tan leather interior. I liked the styling and thought it was a sporty looking car. I dont recall it ever  being a problem. I think he traded a Pontiac Grandville for it. I do remember mom thinking it was too small, they only had it for about a year or two before he traded on an Olds 98.