The Yardbirds - Jeff Beck passed away.

nick8086

I am very sad. A very brilliant guitar player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know dozens of guitarists getting out their black arm bands for Jeff. Lots of guys are called original. He actually was. Plus, he loved American iron - especially if it was hot rodded. RIP, Jeff - You're playing lead for Jesus now.

• Like 3

The original Beck... 78? Wow.. shocked

The love he had for his 63 Stingray was something.. I read that he did a lot of the work on it himself.

When we look back at the Yardbirds and see names like Page, Beck and Clapton all came out of the same band (although Clapton not an original member if I'm not mistaken) it still boggles my mind all these years later. To think of the many combinations and ranges of guitars they played must have been an incredible list, then to think of the many songs and musical influence they had over the years is a story still being told and will be for generations to come.

The Righteous Brothers version of Rock And Roll Heaven will need to be revised.

RIP Beck

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

The original Beck... 78? Wow.. shocked

The love he had for his 63 Stingray was something.. I read that he did a lot of the work on it himself.

When we look back at the Yardbirds and see names like Page, Beck and Clapton all came out of the same band (although Clapton not an original member if I'm not mistaken) it still boggles my mind all these years later. To think of the many combinations and ranges of guitars they played must have been an incredible list, then to think of the many songs and musical influence they had over the years is a story still being told and will be for generations to come.

The Righteous Brothers version of Rock And Roll Heaven will need to be revised.

RIP Beck

What is more mind boggling that Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck grew up together, and Clapton was born in the same area. 

Jeff just played the NYC area just before the holidays, I had to give my ticket up due to some surgery that took me out of the game. fortunately I had seen him several other times, He did put on an excellent show   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drhach said:

He considered himself to be a better welder than he was a guitar player.  

I do too, but that's not saying much in my case!

He did not use a pick either. First time I saw him he was the opening act for Jefferson (what became) Starship in I think in 1976 at Nassau just after the Wired Album came out 

• Like 1

A sad day to be sure, I remember him playing at WolfTrap and it was like he just stood there holding the guitar and the music just erupted around him like it was magic, totally effortless.  You couldn't copy him because he didn't appear to doing anything.  

How about a little 'GreenSleeves'

• Like 3

When I was younger I always hoped to see some of the greats (greats in my opinion) play on the same tour since I missed out on Hendrix. I'd always wondered who had the best version of Little Wing. Jeff did a great version of it but Hendrix version had it all. Both were amazing versions...

I also always admired Mark Knopfler, and Robin Trower and thought if those three (Beck, Knopfler, Trower) could have performed together, the stage would surely lift off. All three had different sounds in their own right, that era was so full of originality, brilliance and depth.

One has to wonder if something will be in the works for a tribute or tributes to many of those axe legends as the list of survivors slowly diminishes. I for one would love to hear a tribute ensemble that would include Bridge of Sighs and Little Wing. 

As most know I'm a purist through and through but I think we can all appreciate a man who builds something with his own hands even if it is involving customs or hotrods. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I had recently turned a young (22) friend on to Beck, Trower and Buck Dharma, then we get the news about Beck. The kid says "where has this stuff been?!" He's an opinionated little bastige and is known to refer to modern music as "99 and 44/100 percent garbage". In the beginning stages of becoming a car guy too.😏

• Like 3