1918 Duesenberg-Revere Walking Beam Long Tail Racer

One of those "Price on Application" listings but a very interesting car. They are called "Walking Beam" because the rocker arms are over a foot long and mounted vertically on the side of the engine. 

http://dshappyclassiccars.com/index.php/cars-for-sale/1918-duesenberg-revere-walking-beam-long-tail-racer/

Four cylinder 106 HP Rochester Duesenberg engines were designed by the master pro Duesenberg brothers who set the benchmark for early automobile racing. Reply through website or call     +1 401-521-5333

1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-12-6790.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-12-6750.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-12-6690.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-12-6745.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-14-IMG_1656.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-14-IMG_1651.jpg1918-Duesenberg-Revere-Walking-Beam-Long-Tail-Racer-2020-07-14-IMG_1656.jpg

• Like 7

A more “practical” car with that engine would be the Revere, another vehicle available in that era. A very interesting and beautiful automobile for its time. I believe there was one for sale somewhere in the north eastern part of the United States.

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

A more “practical” car with that engine would be the Revere, another vehicle available in that era. A very interesting and beautiful automobile for its time. I believe there was one for sale somewhere in the north eastern part of the United States.

This one sold for $137,500 at Amelia Island in 2017. I notice it has a fan belt! 

1920 ReVere-Duesenberg Four-passenger TourerChassis no. 1357 image 11920 ReVere-Duesenberg Four-passenger TourerChassis no. 1357 image 12

• Like 2

Seller has quite a few cars an motorcycles for sale. Cars & Motorcycles for sale - Dick Shappy Classic Cars (dshappyclassiccars.com)

Does anyone here know or know of the seller? Here's a description from his site (in poor spelling and grammar I might add):

DICK SHAPPY CLISSIC CARS

A true hobbyist, Dick Shappy, from Warvick, Rhode Island, has been collecting and restoring antique and Classic Automobiles for ever thirty years and goes to the great lenght to arhive perfection in his restorations. Dick has decided to offer some of his finest vehicles and parts for sale to the public, and has created a new website for that purpose. We have most beautiful early Cadillacs for sale. Cadillac V16, V12 for sale. Beautiful Duesenberg for sale and most beautiful Motorcycle  collection for sale. Please email us or call with your request.

Yep, Dick is a super nice guy who has "people" to help him manage his collection.  I bet that thing is running well.

He used to have a nephew handling web stuff which could account for the grammer. Check out the site but be prepared to stay a while, lots to see.

Several forum folk here know him as well if a serious buyer wanted to ask around.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

14 hours ago, MccJoseph said:

Jay Leno just did an episode on his YouTube channel that goes into that engine quite a bit.

These engines were made under license. 

Duesenberg in the period before Cord got involved was always operated on a shoestring. The joke was that a Duesenberg hose clamp was a twisted piece of wire and a Duesenberg milling machine was a hack saw. I think it makes their success all the more remarkable.

Here's a link:

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

You know, when you think about it, this is all just a primitive rocker arm and push rod assembly. I wonder how the noise level compared to a Chevy six? operate directly off the cam 

The rockers operate directly off the cam so no push rods. The down side is the combustion chamber is fairly tall and thus large volume to accommodate the valves.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1