1949 Imperial 7 Passenger Purchase thoughts

B Jake Moran

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

What would it cost to move that car from A to B? 

I am thinking $1,500.  Probably less.  I have a friend that has helped me bring in dozens of cars over the years so if I could get him, probably $700 plus gas and lodging.  So either way, $1,200 to $1,500.   A consideration in my offer for sure.  

With all due respect to the seller, this has been advertised in a high thru put Imperials website for a long time and I am sure the knowledge of it has circulated among the Mopar folks and AACA folks with deep pockets.  LWB cars are simply low on anybody's radar due as noted to the cost of $100,000 to $175,000 to restore a $30,000 car.   

• Like 1

I like original, cars (preserved). It wasn't always so. At one time I had the mindset, that everything had to be restored. I have an eclectic collection of restored, refurbished original and low mileage preserved cars. I appreciate all cars for what they represent. Each car has it's history, character, and each has an audience. 

What I'm seeing, from the snap shots, seems to be an original car that needs some attention to make it presentable. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I really don't see a car that requires a restoration. Car condition and your willingness to preserve it's history will be a deciding factors. I see a great opportunity preserve some special history. I really doubt that anyone's opinion is going to change your mind, so good luck!

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Dave, I remember this car from 20 or more years ago when it was parked outside at the house.

Cool old piece.

I took these pictures when I came aboard to help with the inventory 12 years ago. We sold it 6 years ago and the customer just picked it up last year. It would have been a cool car to restore.

Jake;

If you find the Ausco-Lambert four-wheel disk brakes are prohibitively expensive to rebuild, you might consult with the Mopar knowledgeable and experienced whether they might be swapped for the standard power brake components used on New Yorkers up through 1954.  Although not original equipment, it might be a practical solution to an expensive problem.

I always liked the big stodgy Chryslers.

Back in the late 80s I was offered a black 30 something thousand mile long wheel base 50 Imperial for $1,500. ( running and driving )

I had no room, 18 ft 1929 Cris Craft, 1938 International, 53 Imperial, 54 New Yorker, 55 De Soto, plus my daily drivers. 

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Jake;

If you find the Ausco-Lambert four-wheel disk brakes are prohibitively expensive to rebuild, you might consult with the Mopar knowledgeable and experienced whether they might be swapped for the standard power brake components used on New Yorkers up through 1954.  Although not original equipment, it might be a practical solution to an expensive problem.

Without researching I believe they made that disc brake system for 2-3 years.  Someone in the club is hopefully a subject matter expert.   But yes, visually no one is going to see the well engineered Mopar drum brakes that replaced the discs.  Then maybe they could be faithfully restored and added later.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Without researching I believe they made that disc brake system for 2-3 years.  Someone in the club is hopefully a subject matter expert.   But yes, visually no one is going to see the well engineered Mopar drum brakes      

The Ausco-Lambert four-wheel power disk brakes were standard on the Crown Imperials through the 1954 model year for sure.  I'll have to research whether the 1955 and 1956 Crown Imperials are also so equipped.

35 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I don’t see the price.    Very impressive.  

$85k.  I never advocate this but... if that is your number rather than assume a restoration shop can manage to it, with all the twists and turns of such a project and inflation, what about financing that big boy??

You could be at your concours this season...

I bought my 49 New Yorker sedan just about 2 years ago, a notch above this one condition-wise, but with a stuck engine. I had it running by that July 4th and I think I've driven it at least 8k miles since. Frumpy? Not all that different from a contemporary Cadillac sedan if you ask me. Gets more thumbs up than anything I've ever driven. All in all, a cheap old 'driver'. Now...go and redo the interior, have all the chrome redone, strip that paint and have it done right? I've seen far less done for far more than $85k. But I've also seen it done on a budget, and if you weren't so picky, it wasn't bad. 

I've heard tell of a couple 40s/50s Chrysler limos locally. Apparently Walter P. had a vacation estate near here at one time, that the family maintained well after his death. I was talking with a friend of mine this summer and he mentioned actually owning one of those ex-family cars at one point. The trouble is, they've really gone downhill. I think both are sitting outside somewhere. 

Anyway, if you can afford it, you have my permission :) Keep the car until you're dead...that way you don't have to worry about what it's worth! It's only money, and as each slice of American Pie gets smaller and smaller, why not put it into something you like? You could spend over $100k on a new pickup truck, and who will care about THAT in 10 years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I don’t see the price.    Very impressive.

I just looked for sub 100k cars that were pre 1950 and 7 passenger, there’s definitely a few choices in there that offer varying levels of project