Clayton Restorations, Co — great video of his shop

Cadillac Fan

Mark has been very helpful and patient with me while working on my '35 Lincoln K engine. He does more of them than almost anyone else so when I had questions, he took the time to answer them even though he wasn't doing the work. A first-rate guy!

2 hours ago, erichill said:

Wow! what a place. So 220 hrs in a grill  That is going to be one very expensive grill.  

Want to know why chrome plating is expensive? This amazing video shows you:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From google it says they are in Castle Rock, Colorado.  If you are going to have a large shop you need a location where land is reasonably priced. .

A quick google search shows lots of 5 AC. places for $10,000 - $20,000  in rural CO.     Around my area the same would be $1,000,000.00 - $2,000,000.00.  

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

From google it says they are in Castle Rock, Colorado.  If you are going to have a large shop you need a location where land is reasonably priced. .

A quick google search shows lots of 5 AC. places for $10,000 - $20,000  in rural CO.     Around my area the same would be $1,000,000.00 - $2,000,000.00.  

I can assure you that a place in rural Colorado for $10,000 to $20,000 is absolutely not a place where a high end restorer would build a shop.  But $2,000,000 would buy a nice 30 or 40 acre property on the edge of Castle Rock…

On 1/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, 1912Staver said:

We were discussing that at a friend's business yesterday - they have expensive overhead as they are "in town" in a very nice area, building, and etc. and they also have clients that are willing to pay for their services as they are in a convenient and nice neighborhood (and see countless collectors wives and kids picking up parts and ...) matched of course to being good at what they do.

An existing shop with consistent high quality output and a well established client base can exist in a relatively " high rent  " area.  But almost impossible for a new outfit to get going unless the overheads are reasonable regardless of the skill of the staff.

Not the case with Clayton or your friends place. But posibly part of the reason why restoration shops in general seem to be becoming less numerous over time as the long time operators retire.

Clean clean clean.

Organized.

Guy seems proud yet humble.

Do they do many 40's and up?   Lots of 30's projects.  Ok I see they advertise as specializing in pre- WWII.

Re: location.  I think if you have a reputation of putting out good work the business will come to you.

Truly impressive.

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)