Tired of waiting for the El Camino and Ranchero to return

I am always on the lookout for a 1968 - 72 Ranchero. Likewise a 73 - 77  .El Camino. But any that I find that fit my budget always have some serious problem or another.  They seem to be a lot harder to find in Canada than the U.S. and usually quite expensive.

I passed on a pretty decent deal on a 1968 Ranch about 5 years ago. I have not seen as much value for money since.

I do have a 1966 Mercury 1/2 ton. Owned it for over 30 years now. Really a great old truck , but showing its age. And it definitely drives like a truck. The dilemma at the time the 68 came available was should I take on a new one or put the time and money into the 66 1/2 ton.  The 1/2 ton won out, but I still really like the idea of a  " sort of  " truck that drives like a car.

The issue here in US (or in the Southeast at least) is finding an ElCamino that hasn't been molested or that a previous owner hasn't put his personal stamp on it. 

I want one bone stock, never messed with and carrying its original color, trim and drivetrain.

What few 65-72 are for sale have invariably been changed to big-block four-speed, painted red and decked out with Chevy Rallys or outsize aftermarket wheels. The 73-77 and 78-87 don't suffer quite that much indignity but they still get some of it.

I've noticed Ranchero don't get molested quite as badly or boldly as ElCamino, but except for the Falcon versions they're a lot harder to find.

57-59 Ranchero and 59-60 EC are a different ball game. Hard to find and expensive.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:59 PM, rocketraider said:

decked out with Chevy Rallys or outsize aftermarket wheels

Well, the good news is this can be changed back to stock easy. The other stuff you mention is difficult/money to fix, and a red flag to hidden modifications that will pop up at the wrong time!😁

• Like 2

I don't trust any "modifications" and "upgrades" I didn't do myself. Seen way too many hack jobs, especially in wiring work. ElCamino and Ranchero, along with mainstream musclecars and cars like TransAM and Hurst/Olds, seem to get a disproportionate share of such redneck engineering.

The fact I don't have an ElCamino or Ranchero ought to tell you how hard a good one is to find.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, Billy Kingsley said:

So make your own!

And sadly the Australian car manufacturing has closed so more Aussies ute's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Special_Vehicles_Maloo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute

The Australian-assembled Ute was to be sold in the United States as the Pontiac G8 ST starting in 2009 alongside the four-door Commodore-based G8 sedan.[5] However, due to GM's company-wide model review, a result of the 2008 global financial crisis, such plans were shelved on 6 January 2009. Exports of the G8 sedan remain unaffected.[6] Sales of the Ute in South Africa as the Chevrolet Lumina SS commenced during 2006/2007 and in Middle East in 2009/2010, making it the first full-size Chevrolet coupé utility ever since the 1987 discontinuation of the El Camino (even though this Lumina was never sold in the USA).

2013_Holden_Commodore_VF-SS_Ute.jpg

Ford-Falcon_1.webp

Edit

USA sales 2014--> https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/holden-ute-exported-to-the-usa-30053

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

A New Zealand conversion from back in the day - photo from 1 Jan 2023 at Whangamata pre-Beach Hop event. Converted from one of just over 300 Canadian-sourced Impala sedans, locally assembled from semi-knocked down kits, and sold new in NZ in 1966.

May be an image of 7 people, car and outdoors

• Like 1