1933- 1934 ROADSTER What was it Originally?

1937hd45

Interesting. Looks like what Ray Dietrich call a “back alley job”.  If you look close, details are marginal/inexpensive. That said, the rod looks like it was well done. Fairly late in the terms of customization. Guessing the car is about 1935, and the photo is probably 1940? Looks like it may be similar to that Philadelphia shop who’s name escapes me. 

Great photo, thanks for posting. 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

This is a double posting, think there are different people that read "What is It?" rather than Pre WWII Photos. What was this Roadster to start with? If you can ID any parts please do so. Bob 

upload_2022-12-14_18-9-49.png

upload_2022-12-14_18-10-28 (1).png

to me it looks like the left tirerod end broke or came apart.

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The fellow that posted it on the HAMB said it was photographed in San Francisco, California plate

The Lic. plate helps us date the photo to 1943.  For that year alone, California placed a red "V" insert on the plate's upper right corner.

("V" for "Victory"). 

1943 Calif. plate.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wyankee said:

The front fenders and grill have a Brewster look to me.

I agree, it sure looks like the one off Brewster coupe that I can’t post a photo. 

• Like 1

Criticize it if you want to, but I like it.  I think it needs 1934 Cadillac front & rear bumpers, running boards, wide whitewalls and my name on the title.   Maybe even loose the side mounted spare.

Sadly, a good car friend that is now no longer with us grew up in the city. Ten to one he had photos of this car and knew the story. Unfortunately his archive of photos and literature disappeared when he died. It was mind blowing world class. I’m still waiting for it to turn up.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sold for 11 million bucks 10 years ago.

Back when you could buy a good Model J for reasonable money. 

• Haha 1