1922 Cadillac 7-passenger touring $28K

I know the 2 wheel brake cars go for less but this is a lot of car for the money! Been for sale since September so they might be flexible. 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1922-cadillac-7-passenger-touring.1275345/

35,000 original miles. 2 owner car. one old repaint, seats and carpet were done 20 years ago  Original V8. Hasn't ran in years but turns over.  $28,000
909-920-6797

IMG_7734.jpegIMG_7755.jpegIMG_7757.jpegIMG_7758.jpeg

• Like 3

28K is over retail for that car running and going down the road. I like it.........I think todays number not running from the photos is...............a lot less than 12k. Only because of total lack of parts availibility and driving envelpoe being so slow. Could be a great car for the right person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

28K is over retail for that car running and going down the road. I like it.........I think todays number not running from the photos is...............a lot less than 12k. Only because of total lack of parts availibility and driving envelpoe being so slow. Could be a great car for the right person. 

I was thinking of all the people who always want to ride along in parades, but that I don't have room for. 

• Like 2

“Not Running”....”hasn’t run in years”......”ran when parked years/decades ago”......

it is easy to beat up cars with these type of descriptions, they are practically begging for it.  I bought my first “old car” in 1981 at age 16, I have made plenty of mistakes, However, in the last 10 years, I have three times walked out on that thin branch of optimism and brought home another “hope and prayer “. The non running status was clearly reflected in the price I paid. In each case, the seller didn’t have much more than very basic mechanical skills.  I don’t think they even knew where to start trying to get it running.  In all three cases I had the car running within 20 hours of basic “awakening” items on a common sense checklist. I will probably regret sharing this and am setting myself up for endless disaster/jinxing  from this day forward. My point is this, if you are handy and logical and this isn’t your first rodeo, make an offer that reflects the non running status.   Ed mentioned parts availability and that is a very good point, so that too should be part of your calculation. 

using this car as an example, if you love  it and can diagnose and fix things, tell the seller “I’ll pay you (xxxxx) for the car if you have it running, or I’ll take it off your hands just as it is, not running for (xxxx).  I don’t know the market for these but I was thinking half his asking price. There’s a good chance he might take it on the spot, or after three more months of frustration without resolution, call you back up and say he would take your offer if it was still good. It is hard to sell a car that doesn’t run.  Don’t be embarrassed, throw out a low offer. You might be doing him a favor. The worst thing is he might act offended and tell you no. No big deal. There are other people with interesting cars that don’t  run that will take a lowball offer. Go find one of those people to give your money to....

pick a non running price that you can live with if you never get it up and running.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, John Bloom said:

“Not Running”....”hasn’t run in years”......”ran when parked years/decades ago”......

it is easy to beat up cars with these type of descriptions, they are practically begging for it.  I bought my first “old car” in 1981 at age 16, I have made plenty of mistakes, However, in the last 10 years, I have three times walked out on that thin branch of optimism and brought home another “hope and prayer “. The non running status was clearly reflected in the price I paid. In each case, the seller didn’t have much more than very basic mechanical skills.  I don’t think they even knew where to start trying to get it running.  In all three cases I had the car running within 20 hours of basic “awakening” items on a common sense checklist. I will probably regret sharing this and am setting myself up for endless disaster/jinxing  from this day forward. My point is this, if you are handy and logical and this isn’t your first rodeo, make an offer that reflects the non running status.   Ed mentioned parts availability and that is a very good point, so that too should be part of your calculation. 

using this car as an example, if you love  it and can diagnose and fix things, tell the seller “I’ll pay you (xxxxx) for the car if you have it running, or I’ll take it off your hands just as it is, not running for (xxxx).  I don’t know the market for these but I was thinking half his asking price. There’s a good chance he might take it on the spot, or after three more months of frustration without resolution, call you back up and say he would take your offer if it was still good. It is hard to sell a car that doesn’t run.  Don’t be embarrassed, throw out a low offer. You might be doing him a favor. The worst thing is he might act offended and tell you no. No big deal. There are other people with interesting cars that don’t  run that will take a lowball offer. Go find one of those people to give your money to....

pick a non running price that you can live with if you never get it up and running.  

Correct ! I bought several cars unseen in the US and even non running but then  i gave a price that was still good even i had unexpected surprises .And i had surprises but also had good surprises so in the end all was good .

On 12/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, edinmass said:

Ed, your comment about driving envelope for this car and the thread with the '24 Cadillac for sale got me to thinking.  I don't have a good frame of reference.

With a 314 cu. in. engine and 132 in. wheelbase, would these cars be considered somewhat underpowered?  Seems like big heavy cars but not a lot of displacement to move them.

What is a reasonable expectation for cruising speed of these cars?

Just looking for a sanity check.

David

Cadillac always built good cars……..you have to consider the era. They were fine cars but roads and technology would soon be improving and thus the cars become much more drivable on todays modern roads. 

• Like 2

This car is local to me and I have known it is for sale for months. I am tempted to go look at it, but as @edinmass said, its overpriced for what it is and current mechanical state it is in. Good cars priced right sell, hands down. The fact that this one is still out there OTM just furthers the argument. 

If I end up seeing it in person I will report back! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1