Inflation? More Like Insanity from JC Whitney

Dan O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124113189480?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1465&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=1f3db3bc4112475eb3d020a4e7704835&bu=43206861564&osub=-1~1&crd=20221109124532&segname=11051

$17.61 for ONE light bulb from JC Whitney.  Not a pack of 10 as I hoped.  Is this possible?  Here is the reply I got when I asked:

Thank you for getting in touch with Customer Care Center regarding the light bulb posted price. No worries, I can assist you with this!

Upon checking, the light bulb posted price is for one bulb only.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Working with you,

Alter C.
Customer Service Representative

We have a J.C. Whitney close in our area, LaSalle/Peru IL. , they used to be open to the public, but now only do internet sales.

This is the sign outside J.C. Whitney's building.

I used to love to go to Warshawski's in Chicago, the wooden floors would always creak as you walked on them, such history.

Warshawski was a member of the Buick Club at one time, and we did local club tours of his shop and visited with both of his full time mechanics.

Bob

CE004343-EDF5-44EA-8241-982866BA198A.png

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Outrageous to us because we can still buy bulbs right down the street for a buck or two. But how much would you sell it for? There's the cost of the bulb itself, packaging materials, and postage. Then there's the labor to create the listing, pick the part, pack it, and create the label. Finally, there are the eBay and PayPal cuts for the listing and final value fees. Considering that JCW is a business, would it be worth their while to do all of that for a profit of a buck? Not if it was my business. I'd put my resources elsewhere. Fortunately we don't need JCW to supply our bulbs!

7 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

if it was my business.

There is the key. I used to sell a lot of items from stashes I got from hoarders. Lots of small stuff. Today I have no problem watching those piles of stuff being hauled away to the dump. The cost of selling and the expectations of buyers changed my attitude. Be glad someone is still making the effort to market limited use items.

Selling car stuff used to feel like: