1941 Plymouth P12 Special DeLuxe Convertible - $52,500

Looks very nice but $52,500? I'll let the Plymouth people weigh in on that. More pics in the ad. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/7547735093.html

This original 1941 Plymouth P12 Special DeLuxe Convertible comes from the last full year of prewar automobile production. Known for its bright paint, comfortable upholstery and wide wheelbase, the Special De Luxe was designated as Model P12 and represented Plymouth’s uppermost level of luxury. It is one of 10,545 similar cars produced. This is a reliable car that runs well and is free of rust. Cruise around like The Karate Kid!
Powered by a 201ci L-head straight-six. Backed by a column-shifted 3-speed manual gearbox. A 6-volt alternator was installed in 2014.
The paint is in very good condition and the body seals are good and effective. The chrome appears to be in excellent condition with an added spotlight. A new convertible top and boot were installed in 2015. The exterior is a beautiful Charlotte Ivory and the interior is trimmed in burgundy vinyl with a split bench up front and a conventional bench in the rear. No interior trim or small controls are missing, and all instruments are functional. The factory AM radio has been modified to accept MP3 and tapes and can be further modified for Bluetooth. The heater is operable. The trunk is carpeted and generally clean.
The suspension components all function as they should. There are no issues with the manual drum brakes, which have new linings, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Tires are useable.
This car has clean California plates and title. email:This original 1941 Plymouth P12 Special DeLuxe Convertible comes from the last full year of prewar automobile production. Known for its bright paint, comfortable upholstery and wide wheelbase, the Special De Luxe was designated as Model P12 and represented Plymouth’s uppermost level of luxury. It is one of 10,545 similar cars produced. This is a reliable car that runs well and is free of rust. Cruise around like The Karate Kid! email: cb19c4a830d2389c951db10e16897f37@sale.craigslist.org

100k0k_kB3tcIahw9gz_0CI0s8_600x450.jpg00202_h4cHKPknhG1z_0CI0sT_600x450.jpg00n0n_2YNiYT1ikqLz_0CI0sB_600x450.jpg00909_xuUnpAXPUjz_0CI0sK_600x450.jpg00404_ijHmxdLR5Wnz_0CI0uG_600x450.jpg

I'm also not a Plymouth expert, but I would think for that price, it should be perfect.  Wiring looks like a DIY job with modern wire.  Also, wasn't leather standard for this open car?  Anyhow, I think this seller is going to get a rude awakening.  I would guess it's a $25K car at most.

(PS: Karate Kid drove a '47 Ford, albeit a yellow one.)

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

It’s priced in San Francisco dollars that are completely different in value than regular dollars.  My son lives in that area and the prices he tells me for regular stuff is crazy. 

Not True! Only today I saw gas had gone down to $5.99 (cash at Arco, Standard was still $6.39)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Price and ad aside what does the group think the right value is here?  I am thinking 30 - 32K based on some comps I have seen. 

I like the 41 Plymouth as my first car was a two door sedan.  I think the convertibles are sharp.  A nice one is available locally via a dealer, kind of a turquise color but  I understand authentic.  36 or 37k.  

• Like 1

What's it worth? How about somewhere in the low 20s?  The running boards are missing altogether along with the lower front fender trim. The steering wheel, horn button & ring are from a 46-48 era Plymouth. The glove box trim is missing. The engine compartment & firewall could use a better detailing and I don't know if the interior with those door panels is correct. The car has its merits as it's an attractive color and a real eye catcher with the top down but this thing is far from authentic. And it's a six cylinder Plymouth, one of the low-priced three. Kinda rare but there are much better examples out there. It's not a Cadillac, Imperial or even a New Yorker and with all it's obvious faults it shouildn't be priced like one. Way too much for what the car is. 

Regarding the price, I have seen two Buick Super convertibles (can't recall if they were '40 or '41) priced around 50k this past year that did not move very quickly. I don't think that this car belongs in the same category as the Super. Maybe half the price.