spelling!

rtabish

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 31tudor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to know when the word "prolly" became part of the English language! I've seen more people use that stupid concoction more and more recently, people who should know better than to use a term (even if it is slang) in the most inappropriate locations.

People, the word is "probably." Learn to spell it, and use it wisely. Using a concoction like "prolly" is an insult unto yourself and your education (or lack thereof).

</div></div>

I never SAY "prolly" but I just use it all the time in instant messaging my friends. "uve" instead of "youve" I also make heavy use of and many other silly abbreveiations that just make it a little quicker. As long as both people understand each other then it works!

It's aslo been perovn in sutdeis taht the oedrr of lterts deos not mtaetr - as lnog as the fsrit and lsat lertets are in the rghit place, the hmaun biran can sltil cmporenehd the sntenece fraliy ealisy.

Here are some very common issues that a lot of people struggle with. Just remembering the apostrophe rule can fix these 90% of the time and improve your writing skills.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Your = belonging to you.</span> Your hat, your car (also, yours, not "your's" as in "that hat is yours").

Never, ever say <span style="font-weight: bold">mine's</span>. <span style="font-style: italic">Mine</span> is correct in all situations.

<span style="font-weight: bold">You're = You are.</span> Remember the apostrophe rule: in most cases, the apostrophe takes the place of a vowel and joins two words. Don't be deceived by the apostrophe and think it means possession.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Their = Belonging to them.</span> See 'your'.

<span style="font-weight: bold">There = Location.</span> The Buick is over there.

<span style="font-weight: bold">They're = They are. </span>See apostrophe rule and "you're".

<span style="font-weight: bold">Its = belonging to it.</span> See "your".

<span style="font-weight: bold">It's = It is.</span> See apostrophe rule.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Then and than.</span> More <span style="font-style: italic">than</span> one (quantity). I'll be over <span style="font-style: italic">then</span> (time or sequence).

My personal peeve: <span style="font-weight: bold">Would of </span><span style="font-style: italic">does not exist</span>. If you write "I would of eaten that cheesburger," it's 100% wrong (what the heck does that mean anyway?). You are confusing the sound of the contraction "would've" (which is "would have") with how it is spelled. "I would<span style="font-style: italic"> have</span> eaten that cheeseburger."

If you struggle with when to use <span style="font-weight: bold">"I" or "me"</span> here's a tip: remove the second item from the list that includes "I" or "me". For example, if you and Billy are going to the store, just say it as if you are going to the store alone. Is it correct to say, <span style="font-style: italic">"Me am going to the store"</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">"I am going to the store?"</span> Obviously the latter. Therefore you would also say, <span style="font-weight: bold">"Billy and I are going to the store."</span> Similarly, if your sister went with you and Billy, is it,<span style="font-style: italic"> "My sister went with I"</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">"My sister went with me?"</span> Therefore, <span style="font-weight: bold">"My sister went with Billy and me."</span>

Thus endeth the lesson.

/English major

How about the non word that many insist on using...irregardless..NO SUCH WORD!!!!

The proper word is <span style="font-weight: bold">regardless</span> or the other word that people insist on mixing with it is , irrespective.

Then there is the old FEB RU ARY that everone wants to skip the R and pronounce feb u ary. I am amazed at the number of people on radio and TV that mispronounce February.

stevo

To add to Southern Illinios, a couple of my favorites: Ask what time is it and response is "pretnear 3:00" What the heck is pretnear, 2:45? and last but not least you warsh your car. Seems you need to add an r to wash. Don't get that one either.

Guest simplyconnected

How 'bout something cut, "Half-in-two."

A guy on the assembly line asked for tomorrow off. He needed it to get, "A flee-baragin at the coat-hawse."

Guest Dan Cook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To add to Southern Illinios, a couple of my favorites: Ask what time is it and response is "pretnear 3:00" What the heck is pretnear, 2:45? and last but not least you warsh your car. Seems you need to add an r to wash. Don't get that one either.</div></div>

If you had ever been Warshington State you would know there has always been an 'R' in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then there is the old FEB RU ARY </div></div>

Arount (spelling intentional) here it's pronounced

Feb-e-ary..........Bob

Guest Dan Cook

Yeah Mark, I remember some of those expressions. I grew up in Warshington on Hood Canal. When I joined the Navy in '66 I found owt there are places that it doesn't rain 11 months in a year.

I'm still not that far away, right on the Oregon border, and still get up there at least every year. I just like the high desert.

I'll be in Bend for the cruise May 31st.

Ain't chew fellers knowed no Hillbilly???

Roo = you. IE, Where roo goin?

Down the Still boy.

yer = Your. Woo = You.

weers, or yourns = yours.

Tat = That. IE, Tat yourns?, also, Tat weers? Also, Is it belonin to ye son.

Mightally good shine ya got yourn sef thar. Boil up sum mer fur me, will yer. I do believe I hab me anodder swig. Fech me banjer ma, we's gonna have us a hoedown. Ellie Eay! Yo -n- Billy joe stay in offa the hood of mie Buick when you makin love thar, ya hear!

Somday I'm gonna write me the official Hillbilly Dictionary so everyone i'l get er right. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

I'm sure many of you have seen this term used in for sale ads on eBay etc.

Needs restored, instead of needs to be restored.

Prolly always puzzled me, I can say I have never heard the word probably pronounced as prolly.

Probly perhaps, but not prolly.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sweepspear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure many of you have seen this term used in for sale ads on eBay etc.

</div></div>

That always bothered me too....from what I've heard it sounds like simply another product of laziness...less typing and that's about it. Oh well!

Guest Stllrng.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sweepspear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure many of you have seen this term used in for sale ads on eBay etc.

Prolly always puzzled me, I can say I have never heard the word probably pronounced as prolly.

Probly perhaps, but not prolly.

</div></div>

That one is my all time most frustrating. The real problem is the statement is in the wrong tense.

" restored" is past tense

" to be restored" is future tense

Also, "prolly" is just wrong in every respect.