67 engine removal. Any advice?

Mister Fab

In a nutshell this is the basics. Probably forgetting something as no coffee yet this morning. Remove hood, Drain oil and coolant, Remove radiator, disconnect fuel lines from pump, heater hoses, wiring harness from engine, battery cables, Starter harness, transmission modulator vacuum line to carb, brake booster vac line, Power steering pump and set aside or disconnect hoses and leave on engine, Remove A/C compressor, throttle linkage , and exhaust pipes from manifolds.

Get your engine lifting apparatus in place under light tension. Support transmission under pan, unbolt rear mount, remove trans splash pan to expose converter and rotate engine to remove all torque converter bolts. Unbolt the driveshaft center support bearing housing, Unbolt transmission from engine and slide back just enough so converter clears engine.  Note: Its important to have engine supported from above so when it breaks free from tranny it doesn't rock backwards stressing the motor mounts. Remove motor mounts and lift engine out onto your engine stand.

Using an engine load leveler is nice to balance weight front to back, or a lift plate attached to intake in place of carb is nice also but I am still old school just attach ( Bolted using existing threaded holes ) a suitable piece of chain diagonal to front of one head and the rear of the other and hook hoist hook in middle. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mister Fab said:

Transmission too 

On a '66-'70 it's probably easier to remove each separately.  Since the second-gen E-body was set up to support front-wheel drive (Eldorado & Toronado), there's plenty of room between the rear of the engine and the firewall to access the bellhousing bolts.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 12:41 AM, RodA67Riv said:

Typical problem with the battery tray area. Years of battery acid dripping down onto the tray (back when the batteries had to be periodically filled with distilled water). Here's mine. 😨

image.jpeg.b4fa2d65b961537f0a05c02f659bdeb7.jpeg

Good luck!

Rod

Ok, mine is not that bas after all!! ;)

As I'll work on the body painting after fixing the engine, I'll repair this and solder a clean metal sheet

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am back to work on the car after a few vacation in Texas and a lot of parts in my suitcase!! 😁

I was lucky with french customs 😅

Has anyone already installed the 430 on that kind of stand? 

Did you install it on transmission side? 

American Forge & Foundry Rotating Motor Engine Stand, 1/2 Ton (1,000 Lb.)  Capacity at Lowes.com

Find the correct bolts. Chances are the flex plate will still be attached and or the crank hub will extend beyond the plane of the back of the block. Make sure that when you bolt the engine on the stand that you mount it so that it is balanced top to bottom so that you can easily rotate the engine as needed. That last tid bit of info comes from experience.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, RivNut said:

Find the correct bolts. Chances are the flex plate will still be attached and or the crank hub will extend beyond the plane of the back of the block. Make sure that when you bolt the engine on the stand that you mount it so that it is balanced top to bottom so that you can easily rotate the engine as needed. That last tid bit of info comes from experience.

One of my friends told me also that. 

The stand axis must be centered higher than the axis of the crankshaft if I am right?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Back on this topic about my 430 rebuild.

A lot of the bolts are to replace, like timing cover and water pump.

Any advice where to find a full bolt kit? 

I've checked alloybolts.com for stainless kit with Allen heads. Has someone already used those?

Edited by Mister Fab (see edit history)

Hi, welcome to the world of Buick Rivieras.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:31 AM, Mister Fab said:

Hi all!

Back on this topic about my 430 rebuild.

A lot of the bolts are to replace, like timing cover and water pump.

Any advice where to find a full bolt kit? 

I've checked alloybolts.com for stainless kit with Allen heads. Has someone already used those?

I purchased my bolt kit from Centreville Auto along with a new timing cover. The stainless steel bolt kit included ones for the water pump. Several of these bolts go into the water jackets so threads need to be coated with a suitable sealant. Kit in their listing below. Remove the cover first to inspect it and confirm it is usable. Mine wasnt 😟😟😟😟

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

478E328E-A6DD-4A53-9962-8227EADE5802.png

• Like 2