1977 Cadillac Seville Part Name?

MarkV

8 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

They are not rubber.  They look like stainless steel.

I would call them rocker panel moldings, but an

overall view of your car would help us see exactly

where they are on the vehicle.  One looks like it is

a lower door molding.

Under the stainless beneath the rocker panel. Either fiberglass or rubber.

Olds parts books usually call something like this "shield" or "deflector".

Appears to be aft of the front wheel opening? Does it cover the area between quarterpanel and any bracing underneath the car? Maybe to keep grit, gravel etc from sandblasting the stainless rocker moulding, since it appears to be positioned to do that?

1 minute ago, rocketraider said:

Olds parts books usually call something like this "shield" or "deflector".

Appears to be aft of the rear wheel opening? Does it cover the area between quarterpanel and any bracing underneath the car?

The entire length of the car 

I have not been able to find originals for my 1976 so I am in the process of make new ones from lawn edgeing.  Will let you know how it turns out.

These cars were not not ment to be jacked up by frame jacks (tire shops use them).  I had to stop a guy once from raising my car up with one because it would have crushed the origianls that were still good at the time.

Tim 

May be a long shot, but IF you can find a part no. perhaps some place like GM parts direct may still have some nos pieces. Up until not too long ago I was still able to get side door window trim from them for my 77 pontiac. With the part no. a cadillac dealer somewhere in the country may have a couple of sets sitting on a shelf?

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Appears to be aft of the front wheel opening? Does it cover the area between quarterpanel and any bracing underneath the car? Maybe to keep grit, gravel etc from sandblasting the stainless rocker moulding, since it appears to be positioned to do that?

They are supposed to run the length of the rocker panel, which is why he's looking for replacements.

I can't find any images for cars for sale that show the underbody rocker areas as that would tell the tale of how and what they are mounted to. They also go beyond the wheelbase of the car, and I can see they continue to underneath the rear rocker extensions.

I don't think they were installed to hide underbody pieces, and if they did, they would have to be a lot wider because the front subframe on these and X cars really hangs down.

If I could see the underside of the car, it might show me that it's protecting the body pinch weld.

I'll bet a bunch of them have been destroyed by someone who doesn't know how to jack these cars!

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In parts group 8.304 (molding kit - shield, rocker panel) they list a "shield, sill to body (black rubber)" - qty 2, Part # 1608286.

Also, group 12.116 (molding kit, (chrome) rear quarter panel rear of wheel opening) they list a "molding kit, rear of wheel opening (note 5) "- Part #9633936 for LH and 9633935 for RH. Note 5 - 2nd type for 1976 K with shield on lower end to cover pinchweld.

Not sure if these are them or not.

• Like 2