1962 /1989 Trabant 601 Wagon Very Nice $9,500

I don't understand about the year, but this is the nicest Trabant I've seen. Doesn't even smoke bad! 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/7524339206.html

1962/82 Trabant 601 Universal station wagon. 600 cc 2-cylinder, 2-stroke engine with 4-speed column shift, and 4th gear free-wheel. Well-preserved original bright green paint and beige cloth interior. 61,000 km actual mileage with recent mechanical refurbishment including battery, exhaust, clutch, tune-up, coils, and brake system. This is the Kombi model with factory fog lights, trip odometer, and rear wiper/washer. Looks great, runs and drives excellent, and all accessories including heat are in good working order. This car was imported from Dresden, Germany in 2017 and may be the only Trabbi currently titled and registered in California! Original Spare, owner’s manual, keys, and car-cover included. Gets over 50 MPG, is very reliable, and is ready to show or drive.   (530) 304-0012
The car can be seen in action here: https://vimeo.com/723430593, and here:

00z0z_dUG2gBhEOz5z_1320MM_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_l0ZrZFSjCCtz_1320MM_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_179EXXBXs3nz_1320MM_600x450.jpg01616_7bB5ztOD82vz_1320MM_600x450.jpg00707_aNTxsNcL1wPz_1320MM_600x450.jpg00i0i_aj3pvuFeDMNz_1320MM_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Years can be really strange on these. Some cars got sent back to the factory for refurbishment. Then which year are they? Probably the older one on paper I guess. The factory would put all the new stuff in. Nothing uncommon about that. As you can see, this has a very 80s looking interior, is 12 volt, and so on. On the other hand, it could have been some kind of titling sleight of hand. Who knows?

A 2 stroke motorcycle is a hoot to ride but I dont think a 2 stroke car would be a novelty at all. I've never seen a Trabant in real life but have seen a Saab 2t,  a good looker but the driver had to really dump the clutch to take off decently and it sounded like a shaken Rustoleum can while under way.

I think it would be a hoot. They are not fast, not like a motorcycle at all. The engine was probably a new design in the 50s or so, but based heavily on prewar technology (DKW).

The closely related Wartburgs were 3 cylinders instead of 2 and probably even closer to a prewar DKW. Now a Wartburg powered Melkus RS-1000 would really be a hoot.

2007-30873-melkus-rs1000-special-edition

As for the 2 stroke Saabs, don't forget Erik "On-The-Roof" Carlsson won the Monte Carlo Rally more than once.  https://bangshift.com/general-news/gearhead-guys-you-should-know-erik-carlsson-on-the-roof-carlsson/

erikcarlssongunnarpalmsaab96montecarloco

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I met Erik a few times. Very nice man. In the words of my father "A two stroke is like shearing a pig; there's a lot of noise but not much result". 

• Haha 2