My 58’ Century Caballero Estate Wagon Build

jackofalltrades70

Matt, can I ask what media they used to blast. And what sort of pressure.

It looks an incredible difference. I have used a grit blaster before on a large fender and wheels and other parts but it can easily warp and damage panels if not careful.

Just curious.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Today, rinsed about 150# of media out of the car and got everything blown off.  This is after they had already rinsed it down and blew it out at their place.  At the rate they charge, I figured I could also do it at home instead of paying them.  Sprayed the cowl and door jams with etching primer and the body with a clean metal paint because I couldn’t find enough etching primer at the stores. Everyone is out of stock.

Happy with the progress for today.

D559C58A-CDE6-4111-88F8-8D071FAEF00F.jpeg

65A668F7-2884-492B-84DD-CB6F1A9BC58E.jpeg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matt, I found this thread after we spoke today.

What a great starting point; it looks like a very solid car!

I like the split folding rear seat.

I'll be happy to help any way possible.

Joe Tonietto 

• Like 5

Bought quite a few things at Hershey for the wagon.  Almost a complete set of inner fenders (splash guards), a decent drivers front fender (dented but no rust), a dogleg repair panel (for the side I already repaired), a solid but dented pair of rear bumper ends, new door sills, a set of rocker panel repair sheet metal for both sides, the drivers vent deflector that mounts under the master cylinder and vent deflectors for the dash.

A big thanks goes out to Brian Depauli, Jim Pickard and Joe Tonietto.

Joe actually found the bumper ends and then carted them to his truck.  He and Larry Schramm waited for me at a restaurant to pick them up after hours.

AND, an even BIGGER thanks to Jim Pickard for selling me the much needed luggage rack!  Cannot wait to get it!

45512C49-B279-409A-B1CA-AED1ABFA9C52.jpeg

• Like 5

Matt, 

Glad to have you get the roof rack! Man, your car looks great! What a great starting point for what's gonna be a Buick B-58 Beauty when it's done. The dustless media blasting looks like a really good way to get a celan start on metalwork and body work. I might look into that should I start another 57 Buick project in the near future. I'm gonna really like following your posts for sure. Keep up the good work and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I can always ask Joe. :) 

I have the roof all straightened out and primed with filler primer. Most of the rear end of the vehicle also.  The dogleg on the passenger side is finished and started working on the drivers side tonight. Should be able to finish metalwork there tomorrow.  Next is the rocker panels on both sides.  The rear gate bottom has a little finessing yet to take care of, but is close. Maybe another week or so and ready for paint.

maybe more pictures tomorrow

On 10/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

Received my roof rack today!  Thanks to @1957buickjim.  

And purchased these for the rear trunk door. Was missing the estate part

Matt

53FC1FA2-AD1C-4689-AFF5-773DBFBD1F94.jpeg

9B4D2C95-A349-4D41-8CFC-BDF5ABFBC897.jpeg

Matt, make sure you install the "S" the right way when you put those letters on the tailgate. It's possible to install the "S" upside down and then it won't line up with the rest of the letters. Don't ask me how I know that...

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hate these shorter days……hard to get anything done by the time I get home from work, roll the car out of the garage and actually do something.  Almost finished with the sanding of the areas that were replaced in the rockers and dogleg on the drivers side. 
Have the tailgate pretty much straightened out.  A little more finessing and will be ready for a couple coats of filler primer

no pics!  Too tired

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had my 47’ out today for a check presentation to Allied Services for letting us use their facilities for our Scranton Region AACA show. Took advantage of having the car out and put in storage for the winter, which frees up the whole garage to work on the wagon.  Dry, heated and lights. Tonight, worked almost up to 8pm and advanced quite a bit.  Have to buy some more priner tomorrow after work.

5787F4A7-5EB0-412A-BCE4-94D730B0B5B1.jpeg

DF586AB2-5D94-4715-BD11-B9E89D461DA4.jpeg

• Like 10