My 58’ Century Caballero Estate Wagon Build

jackofalltrades70

Nice work, but I can't help but be amazed by the number of trim holes in that door skin!  1958 has to be the high-water mark for Buick bling!  If someone didn't know better, they'd assume that door was used for target practice...  :huh:

97961C3F-C8A5-416D-82CF-DA326605FFAE.jpe

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Is a local business.  He actually came to the house to pick the colors and to see the progress on the car.  When I told him a month or so ago that I would be ready for paint in 4 weeks or so, I don’t think he realized how serious I was.  

He loved the wagon and seemed eager to get started as soon as he finishes what he has on his plate at the moment.

He took the interior with him so he has it to start on.  I have faith that he will be done when he said he would be.

Sanded a little more on the door.  Almost finished with it.

• Like 3

I'm a little late to the party -- I just read through your thread tonight.  Wow!  I can't get over what you have taken on and how fast you are working, Matt.  This is a great project, and you are doing a fabulous job!  I also love to read about people helping each other out, and it must be reassuring to have someone like Joe in the background for those moments when you will be scratching your head and wondering how this huge puzzle goes together.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Passenger side done.  Will still have to scrape off the undercoating.  Which orange is better?  The first one, or this one?

I think all of my joints hurt at this stage of the game. Maybe need to work on some more sanding for awhile and get off the floor and out of cramped spaces.

should have material to cover the wheel wells sometime this coming week. 

33D56CCE-2EF2-4B37-8E89-DBB665BF2801.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello Matt:
I just discovered your project…impressive amount of work you’ve done in a short time.   I’ve got a ’57 Caballero which I’ve had for about 15 years.  Unfortunately, it has developed rust perforation around the drip rails and in the dog legs.   (See attached pics)

I’ve done lots mechanical work over the years, but no body work…..thinking about getting a MIG welder and giving it a try.  Your pics are helpful in this regard, but I’m concerned (scared) about the learning curve for metal work.  If you plan to do any roof restoration, (showing the interior structure and outer roof rails) please post more photos.  Can't wait to see your updates.

Thanks,
David Daggett

P1010697.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1175.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...