1930 Series 60, Model 30-60, 7 Passenger, Four-Door Sedan

Robpm

To all,

This is a first time post for me on this forum.  I frequent other forums but not one regarding antique cars.  I am not sure that I am in the right place in posting this but I thought I would just post it here and I figured others who are more familiar with this forum will direct me in the right direction. 

I inherited 23 years ago, July 1999 my great grandfather's 1930 Series 60, model 30-60 Four-Door 7 passenger Sedan from my grandmother.  My great grandfather placed an order for it on March 20th, 1930 and picked it up on April 3rd and paid for it the same day.  I have the original "New Car Order" along with the actual bill of sale from Noyes Buick Sales Company in Boston, MA.  I even have the canceled check he used to purchase it with.  He also traded in his existing Buick at the time.  The sales price for the car was $2,106.00.  I also have the original 1930 Buick Reference Book for the car as well.  The car has ~34,000 miles on it.  It was last operated by me and my dad back in 2000.  both my grandmother and my father died that year.  My grandmother from old age, she was 99 and my father of a heart attack so that is what put it into my hands.  At the time I did not have any time to do anything with it so I jacked it up and put the frame on blocks to take the weight off of the suspension and tires and put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders.  There it presently sits in the garage and has not been moved since.  It had all original upholstery.   The garage that it sits in is on property that both my sister and I own.  It is a 5 hour drive away from where I live.  We had built the garage back in 2000 to have on the property and it made a great place to put the Buick as well.  At this present time I have no need for the car and would like to sell it.  I have no idea of its worth and I'm not under the impression that it will fetch a lot of money.  Muscle cars of the 60's and 70's seem to be what everyone wants to purchase right now.  I have seen some prices around $10k.  But I thought I would post something here and see what those who are on this forum might have to say since I am guessing you will be much more savvy when it comes to a car like this.  I do not have any recent pictures of it.  The one I do have was taken back in the 2000 time frame which I have added to this post.

Any input anyone might have would be beneficial.  It looks like people sell cars like these on EBay.  Is that the best place to sell a car like this or are there other or better avenues to sell them at?

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Rob

IMG_0616.jpg

• Like 5

Do not sell that on eBay.

My advice would be to post for sale ad here first.  Take as many pictures as you can, including the documentation you have. The fact that it is a one family owned car is a pretty cool thing, and some collectors will appreciate that.

If you can post some more pictures we can probably give you a range for an asking price too.

• Like 2

Welcome, pictures of everything, sides, front, back top of hood and even very top. Inside pics, engine pics, wheels and if possible underneath. The more you show the better the people that know this make and model can give you an idea of price. Also where the general area the car is located. Not actual location but the state or area within a state. 
Good luck it’s a nice looking car, I would keep it but understand your circumstances. 
dave s 

• Like 1

Thank you for the input.  I really appreciate it.  It will take me some time to come back with pictures.  Once I have them I will post them.  I will truly take a lot of them and get complete details.  I then will follow up with this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take some time to get familiar with Bring a Trailer.  In addition to this forum BaT would be a listing option and will only cost you $99 even if it doesn't sell.  You would have to list it as a "Project"..  It is important to the potential buyer to know that the engine is not seized and turns over freely.  The more information you can provide the better it will sell.  Good Luck.  This appears to be a very nice closed car.  You may also wish to post in the Buick section on this forum.  A very active and helpful group dedicated to Buicks.

• Like 1

The car is located in Central NH.  I live in Northern NJ.  I have a truck and a 20' car hauler trailer. I can bring it down to NJ however I do not have a garage to put it in.  So I can help to get it to a location as well if needed.

I do not believe the cylinders are stuck.  I did put marvel mystery oil in them.  However when I go up to take pics I will seek to turn it over and take a video so one would know that the engine is not sized.

• Thanks 1

The 60 Series Buick is an awesome, big strong car.  There are several 60 Series Buicks on the Glidden Tour and the Sentimental Tours by AACA.   A big luxrury car that would be fun to own and maintain in it's condition as kept by your grandparents.   There is a Forum here for Pre WWII Buicks, which may be a interesting place to learn about early Buicks before you come back to offer it for sale.   That car was built before the Great Depression, which meant it's the end of the big Buicks until the depression was ending.    1931 startesd the smaller Buick Models with  Series 50 cars beung the big sellers until 1934 when the Series 40 was introduced and saved Buick from bankruptsy.   I have a Series 40

sedan which was small like a big Chevrolet or Pontiac.  Priced less than $1000 when new.   Looks tiny when parked with Series 60's and series 80's Buicks.

Keep in mind that if you sell it, you'll never get a chance to own it again.   Good Luck. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

That car was built before the Great Depression, which meant it's the end of the big Buicks until the depression was ending.   

There were large Buicks in every year throughout

the Depression.  The Series 90 lost its sporty models,

though, after 1935, and was used for just large 4-door 

sedans and limousines.

• 2 months later...

To all,

I was finally able to go up to the garage where my 1930 Buick is parked and take some pictures.  It has been on the blocks for 21 years now.  They are on the frame.  The wheels all turn freely.  The tires are still up.  I purchased a new 6V battery while I was there and put that in to turn over the engine.  The engine turned over very easily with out problems.  Before I was done I put some more marvel mystery oil in the cylinders.  The spark plugs came out easily.  I have a couple of videos showing the engine turning over.

The underneath of the body has some surface rust but not a lot.  The floor boards, boards are solid.  The roof is fine and the rest of the car looks in very good shape.  The passenger rear door has some handles off.  One of them is broken the other is just off.  Also the piece that goes across the rear floor is broken as well.  It seems to be that old white metal.  The pieces are there.  The middle seats pop up with no problem.  The original ignition key lock has been removed and there is just a toggle switch to turn it on and off.  The lights work although one of the high beams is burned out.  It was last registered in 2001 and that was when its inspection was done as well.  All these are in the pictures.

You can look at all of them here  https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c1ArQV24WzD_LMLJb98KOhjg

I look forward to some of you being able to give me some thought on what this car could sell for.

Thanks

Rob

Prices on a car such as yours is very subjective. Not running will cut the price almost in half. Location in central NH also is a issue with shipping costs. Most likely a local sale will be your best bet. I will PM you my thoughts as to numbers. No sense in posting in the open. Ed

If you do decide to try to get it running, do drop the pan and clean it and the oil pump.

After sitting so long there is bound to be considerable sludge in the pan which could starve the oil pump for oil and do a lot of damage.

If you sell it as is, advise the new owner to do so.

It is very cheap insuirance and easy to do.

Obviously, the fuel system would be an issue too and need cleaning

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 5:46 AM, Robpm said:

That is an marvellous car you have there. Did you decide to keep it or will you sell it? If you decided to pass it on to a new owner have you decided for a price? I am restoring one exatly the same but to be able to buy one in such a nice condition would be amazing.