Where is the VIN on the frame of a 1963 Buick Riviera?

Jerry Ford

I have a 1963 Buick Riviera. The VIN plate is missing from where it should be near the door hinges on the driver's side. I know it's also on the engine block, but a potential buyer wants a picture of the VIN on the frame. Does anybody know where this is on the frame?

19 minutes ago, Jerry Ford said:

I have a 1963 Buick Riviera. The VIN plate is missing from where it should be near the door hinges on the driver's side. I know it's also on the engine block, but a potential buyer wants a picture of the VIN on the frame. Does anybody know where this is on the frame?

It's under the hood. Drivers side cowl.

I think Tom is right - it's a frame number or date code, but not your vehicle Vin. I just got my frame back from blasters and it's printed on the rear passenger, just behind the the wheel arch. 

Mine has a numerical code which does not match my vehicle Vin (car is original) followed by "PARISH" and below that is "8" and "63". My Riv is a '64 but it's likely that the frame was pressed together in late '63 for the '64 model year. 

20220812_202332.jpg

20220812_202358.jpg

Not positive about 1st Gen Rivs so I defer to the experts here, however, your thinking makes sense.  GM stamped a lot of frames with the VIN on the frame rail -  RF on 66 and 67 Cadillacs and LR frame rail on 72 Pontiacs. I mention these vehicles because I owned them. According to research I did for my 72 Grand Prix, GM used an engraver that was a roller type. It was not uncommon for the last few digits to not be as deep or legible as the preceding numbers. A CA CHP officer once told me EVERY vehicle has a VIN stamped SOMEWHERE on the frame. I'm skeptical when someone uses the terns like "EVERY" and "ALWAYS." Law enforcement agencies have books that list the locations of VIN plates and what type of rivets they are attached with plus locations where VINS are stamped on the frame or unibody. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Lil-Riv said:

I think Tom is right - it's a frame number or date code, but not your vehicle Vin. I just got my frame back from blasters and it's printed on the rear passenger, just behind the the wheel arch. 

Mine has a numerical code which does not match my vehicle Vin (car is original) followed by "PARISH" and below that is "8" and "63". My Riv is a '64 but it's likely that the frame was pressed together in late '63 for the '64 model year. 

20220812_202332.jpg

20220812_202358.jpg

The number 1353122 is the Buick part number for the frame.

Here are all the '63 frame part numbers from the 1963 Master Chassis Parts Book (which I sell scanned on a CD).

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.55.41 AM.png

On 8/10/2022 at 4:48 PM, Jerry Ford said:

Here is a picture of the VIN tag on my 63. As described earlier, it should be on the driver's side cowl directly above the data plate on the firewall. If a numbers matching car you will find this same number on the engine as Ed illustrated in his post.

Bill 

IMG_8650.JPG

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

For those of you who attended the meet in Harrisburg (Hershey), PA and saw Jason’s 1966 chassis on display, you could see that VIN stamped into the frame.  

Where was it located? 

image.jpeg.84adda449ccbfec1191905d10ec9ee9d.jpegOn the top of the frame; left rear.  

image.jpeg.d08263e09c0726386a492bb8a6679326.jpegIf you use this picture to locate the muffler, brake drum, and wheel; you can see the hole in the top of the frame where the number is located.  You'll probably need a lift and a mirror to find it if it isn't layered with dirt.  Remember, this is on a '66.  No guarantees for a 1st generation to be the same.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

So on the 1st Gen Riviera, the Vin stamp can be found on the topside of the driver's side frame rail, just in front of the center hump. Mine is in line with the transmission support brace. It should match your Vin stamp on the front cowl on the driver's side, which should also match your engine code for a total numbers matching car. 

20220816_201737.jpg

20220816_201748.jpg

20220816_201800.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure that in the 60's all GM cars had the VIN stamped on the top of the left rear frame rail. My 69 GTO

has the VIN in the same place. The reason it was on the top of the frame rail making it very hard to read is so nobody

could restamp the frame without first removing the body from the frame, making it harder for thieves.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)