Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

54 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

The 2022 pebble beach best of show winner was reassembled from two cars, leaving a swb frame, motor, trans, grill, hood, reproduction blower, firewall, etc. 

what would you do with the parts?

My suggestion, build this:

27F8B1CB-1C92-4D6F-8788-3AB55FEBAE55.jpeg.f6913b683e70b0f745d99c03bd16972e.jpeg

From an outsider looking I'd like to know the story behind the parts shuffle. I understand using real names of the parties involved is something to be avoided, but what was the reason for the swap? Better engine in car A, better body in B, and car doner C had something. It was common with Model A Fords, and nobody knew or cared, but full Classics are another thing. 

• Thanks 1

Bob, I don't have any inside information myself. However, it is a well known fact that for about fifty years, from before the outbreak of World War Two well into the 1980s, hobbyists didn't try very hard to maintain the provenance of many classic automobiles. Damaged engines instead of being rebuilt were replaced by another available engine. The damaged engine might later be repaired and changed into another car. Bodies were swapped, often replaced by mediocre reproductions. Transmissions and other mechanical parts replaced by commercial ones. Duesenbergs were one of the marques that were treated especially badly.

The "grape vine" has it that a small number of high end collectors got together, owning a handful of messed up Duesenbergs, and took them apart. Then they swapped major pieces around. Understand, that Duesenberg aficionados had researched and traced previous parts swaps and replacements. They figured out in advance which cars had pieces from what other cars. The "big swap" I was told happened a couple years ago. Each of the collectors wound up with considerably more parts from their original base car. I "heard" that heads and blocks were reunited, along with engines going back to their original chassis!

I do not know the BOS car, or its owner. However rumor has it that it is one of the newly corrected cars, and now far more correct than it has been in decades!

I think that is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

From an outsider looking I'd like to know the story behind the parts shuffle. I understand using real names of the parties involved is something to be avoided, but what was the reason for the swap? Better engine in car A, better body in B, and car doner C had something. It was common with Model A Fords, and nobody knew or cared, but full Classics are another thing. 

Bob,  my dad is 97 and he bought his first Auburn in 1954.   I would always ask him what was going in in the 50s, 60s and 70s with regard to some of the shenanigans that happened.   

He always had two comments:

1.  Nobody cared.

2. Closed cars were worthless.

He eventually came around on #1 and still believes #2.    I won't mention how he refers to my REO sedan.

There is quite the cottage industry right not reassembling Duesenbergs back to their chassis/body/bell housing/crank configuration as they left the factory.   The best of show car being a great and expensive example.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back ten or more years ago, we bought a 1932 Pierce sedan from Worcester Massachuetts that was being driven every day during the 50’s by an Italian butcher. I asked AJ’s father about the car and the owner. It took about fifteen minutes before he figured it out and remembered the car……….yes, I remember him now. You bought the parts car?  He literally thinks of all closed cars as parts cars. Old school!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is that Aaron's back yard?

Only I’d you could fit 525 cars in it. San Morino is like Palm Beach……….so the answer is no, not his yard.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Back ten or more years ago, we bought a 1932 Pierce sedan from Worcester Massachuetts that was being driven every day during the 50’s by an Italian butcher. I asked AJ’s father about the car and the owner. It took about fifteen minutes before he figured it out and remembered the car……….yes, I remember him now. You bought the parts car?  He literally thinks of all closed cars as parts cars. Old school!

Just points out the truth as there were much better examples to collect. Open wins out over closed ninety percent of the time.

11 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

The 2022 pebble beach best of show winner was reassembled from two cars, leaving a swb frame, motor, trans, grill, hood, reproduction blower, firewall, etc. 

what would you do with the parts?

My suggestion, build this:

27F8B1CB-1C92-4D6F-8788-3AB55FEBAE55.jpeg.f6913b683e70b0f745d99c03bd16972e.jpeg

Better yet send Rob Myers to retrieve the one in Romania. Requires deep pockets.2D771C18-71DA-411F-8EB6-177977012084.jpeg.0381859df1cd0ce86f4cfcdf77ce2449.jpeg

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

George, I’m not so sure that car exists anymore. Although if you read the Romania thread, it still existed in 1961.

A billionaire should sic a bird dog like Myers to find out. How else can gentrified fellows amuse themselves.

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

George, I’m not so sure that car exists anymore. Although if you read the Romania thread, it still existed in 1961.

The Russians probably took it. That’s what a knowledgeable but5CB4CD95-7E81-4D8F-AB5F-C9B629AF9A77.jpeg.63ff1693aa20f70b534ce7ae81b95efa.jpeg strange man told me about the Papler SSK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Cool. I need someone to carry my luggage.

Wait a minute, I can carry Ed’s and your luggage. I offered first, I even said I would walk 3 paces behind you and wear a butler’s suit. 
dave s 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Only I’d you could fit 525 cars in it. San Morino is like Palm Beach……….so the answer is no, not his yard.

Lacy Park. Great place to teach a kid to ride a bicycle.  Oh, and have a great car show, too.

20 minute mark?

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 5

It was a fun weekend. Met lots of forum members as well as a bunch of well known collectors. While I was looking over a 1909 White 30 I bumped into Leno on the field. He was having a hard time looking at the cars with all the people wanting photos. Managed to get an update on his 1910 White OO that he had all apart last time I visited his shop. The OO was in the same collection for 30 years as my 1917. Overall selection of cars was impressive. I would say the CCCA car display was the same level and quality as Amelia……..this show is growing and if the Brass and Nickel guys pick it up a few steps……..it’s going to become one of the top three shows in the country.

271FA396-3948-49D4-B092-0A3D1BB74ACE.jpeg

E0DD69A7-5488-4F38-AC05-A791180773F1.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It’s been a long road trip…….back to Florida today……….time to get ready for Hershey and a few tours……..👍

• Like 3