1938 Cadillac Huge Lot Advice

Hello All, 

I was led to this forum by my grandfather's stack of Antique Automobile Club of Americas. Unfortunately he passed away earlier this year and left behind a massive collection of 1938 Cadillac cars and parts. We are starting the process of selling everything however there is a lot. So I wanted to come here for any guidance / info of the best route to take as far as selling such a large collection. Possibly any services or companies that might be good? Or potential websites that might help? Any general information on a route we could possibly take to sell everything either all at once or with auctions. Thanks!

Tri-State Area (CT, NJ, NY).

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I buy sales related literature if by any chance he had any of that, pretty much for all makes foreign and Domestic,  Not just Cadillac, if he had any of that. 

Tossed a ton of these I believe. Think like 4 decades of Hemmings Motor News went to the curb. He had a lot of other stuff like Bulletin, Collectible Automobile, Antique Automobile, Car Craft, Hot Rod, Hemmings Classic Car.

Selling everything at once is convienient. But if any of the cars are desirable body styles or in particularly good condition you will do better selling them by themselves.  Anyone buying a large collection expects  { and deserves } a substantial discount over what things are potentially worth on a one by one basis.

As others have said , location is very important . Also how many cars , what sort of parts pile. To some a massive collection could be 3 or 4 cars and parts from 2 or 3 more. To others massive means 20 + cars and several semi loads of parts. Please be more specific. Also one convertible can be easily worth the same as 2 or 3 sedans, even ones in reasonably good condition.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Thanks for the info. Yes I was trying to just get general information of potential ways to go about it as opposed to specifics. Like if there was a good auction company who would handle everything. Things like that. I think due to the specific nature of his collection (being mostly only 1938 Cadillacs) that selling all at once is probably the best direction to go. He has I think 7 to 9 of them with minimal restoration done. Along with the bodies, a lot of additional parts as well. 

How about starting out on the right foot in asking for advice, by posting some photos so we can better determine what you have? It may be a huge collection, all in reasonably good condition or nicer, or it may be a huge collection of weathered junk that sat in the elements for the last 20, 30, or even 50 years.

The condition will certainly determine how, where, to whom it is sold.

• Like 3

Just my two cents, but pick out a few things from the entirety.... pictures of your grandfather with his cars, maybe a few hood ornaments to hang onto into the future as a memory of your Grandfather and his love for 38 Cadillacs. 

• Like 2

If there is any literature from the 1930s that would sell on eBay quite well.  Same with the parts, if they are clearly identified.  

like most things in life, you will get more for your stuff the more work you do.  Individually selling items on eBay takes loads of work.  Selling them as a lot takes very little work.  

The cars would be worth good money if they are well driving open cars, especially v16s.   If they are sedans rusting in a field, they have low 4 figure value.  

15 hours ago, CadillacGramps said:

Tri-State Area (CT, NJ, NY).

Tossed a ton of these I believe. Think like 4 decades of Hemmings Motor News went to the curb. He had a lot of other stuff like Bulletin, Collectible Automobile, Antique Automobile, Car Craft, Hot Rod, Hemmings Classic Car.

The magazines are tough.  I even tossed a bunch.  The sales related brochures and books from the dealerships are a different story.   Prices are all over the place and if one wants to take the time to sell them individually (which is very time consuming as that is all I do for a business) is the best way to sell them to maximize $$,  but when dealing with parts, cars, literature and who knows what else if you are dealing with from an estate, and having a normal job as most people do,  it's easier to sell them in one lot and move on to the next task.  Pretty much like everything else.  It's all about where you want to spend your time.  I will tell you there are alot of brochures from the 40's-70's that only sell for 3.00 or less.  Figure in your time and fees not to mention the purchase price and you are almost giving away every one of those pieces for free as fees are collected not only on the item,  but the shipping and even the sales tax,  when you talk ebay.  Then you get a 1099 to report it all as income so you have to keep track of all the records and expenses and have your tax professional figure it all out at the end of the year as they are reporting on all total annual sales over $600 now. 

Not a problem for me,  but has been noted by many sellers as the straw that broke the camels back, so they are leaving. 

Yup like any business there can be money made,  but if you don't do it right or really work at it,  it won't be very rewarding.  There are days I wouldn't mind throwing it all in a barrel and watching it burn.  Fortunately not too many though.  Usually just when ebay has one of their quarterly seller updates, where they completely screw up the site.  Last one only tanked sales (fall off a cliff type tank) for about a month for the majority of sellers,  so just pray when you start it isn't at one of those times. 

The site is so broken I have started using google to search ebay for specific items as they don't come up when I search directly on ebay,  but will when I search Google images, which send me to the item listed on ebay.   Yeah that well oiled machine we call ebay feels more like a tricycle with two wheels many days. 

• Like 3

Post some pictures and more info please? More info would go a long way in getting you some results. There are members here who will be interested or spread the word to potential buyers. I have a friend who is 37-38 Cadillac fan.

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

With all due respect, you can’t know that. One has to at least see a few photos to make any kind of value statement.

Yes I can.  The attached link shows a car in the condition I described.  Do you think it will sell for more than low four figures.  I don’t. 

http://classiccardb.com/cadillac/237222-1938-cadillac-sedan-v8-flathead-runs-rat-hot-rod-vintage-custom-look-barn-find.html

02A8778C-736B-4BB8-ADBC-B31319DB848F.jpeg

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Yes I can.  The attached link shows a car in the condition I described.  Do you think it will sell for more than low four figures.  I don’t. 

http://classiccardb.com/cadillac/237222-1938-cadillac-sedan-v8-flathead-runs-rat-hot-rod-vintage-custom-look-barn-find.html

02A8778C-736B-4BB8-ADBC-B31319DB848F.jpeg

I suppose if you’re Carnac you can. Call me cheap but that right there is NOT a 4 figure car. I’d have trouble giving you $500 for it, but I am a cheapskate when it comes to cars like your photo shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1