1954 Packard - 6 or 12 volt?

JonW

Look at the generator.

Should say on there.

I know that some Chrysler products had 12 volt systems prior to when most US cars went there in 1956.

So would not surprise me in an ambulance.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Look at the generator.

Should say on there.

I know that some Chrysler products had 12 volt systems prior to when most US cars went there in 1956.

So would not surprise me in an ambulance.

Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick (perhaps not Special) all went to 12 volts in 1953, Pontiac and Chevrolet in 1955, most other makes were 12 volts too in 1955.

• Like 2

They came with a 6 volts system. Friend of mine had a 54 Patrician, the biggest engine model, he drove it regularly in the summer and it always started easily with its 6 volt farm supply battery. I was a bit surprised but he is a good mechanic and I am sure took care of engine, tune up, starter, battery cables etc. In other words they start and run fine if everything is as it should be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess I did know Chevrolets went to 12 volts in 55, but I rarely do GM so my bad there.

I still humbly suggest JonW look at the generator tag to be sure before investing in a battery.

I see a 53 Champion in your stable, My first car and one of my most favorites.

The reason for my inquiry was this: Because of a medical condition, I have to have air conditioning. So to be able to drive this car, I need to install something like a Vintage Air unit. I know some will view this as sacrilege, but that is my choice. That type of unit, of course, is 12v negative ground. So is changing the entire electrical system over to 12v negative ground the only option?

12 volt positive ground will work too, if a simple NO electronics system is installed. 

I have seen 6 volt air conditioning systems. They do require big generators to keep up the power demand. One of those 6 volt alternators can help here. 

Would it be a possibility to leave the rest of the vehicle 6V and install a separate 12V alternator.  Obviously a compressor would be needed also so it might get a bit crowded around the front of the engine.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 29hupp said:

Would it be a possibility to leave the rest of the vehicle 6V and install a separate 12V alternator.  Obviously a compressor would be needed also so it might get a bit crowded around the front of the engine.   

That would be the ideal setup. I ran across a video on You Tube where someone had converted the starting system to 12v using two Optima 6v batteries. That may be a possibility for doing the same thing with the a/c compressor and associated parts. I think in the video, they just used a 12v alternator only to charge both 6v batteries at once.

You could have a combined 6/12V system. You would have to change from positive to negative ground. Does the Packard have a radio? That is about the only polarity sensitive component.

Install a 12V alternator, ignition coil, light bulbs and turn signal flasher. Use a center tap off the battery for 6V for heater blower, gauges, and any other 6V accessories. 6V starter will work on 12V, for a while. If it needs to be rebuilt put in 12V field coils, not difficult because it is a common type of Delco starter.

Car would probably need to be rewired completely. Not because the original wiring won't work, it will, but chances are the insulation has perished. If the insulation is good the wiring will have no trouble handling 12v.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 29hupp said:

I considered suggesting that. It is definitely what I would do if I absolutely had to have a 12v accessory, although I have not done it so I am not sure what the pitfalls would be.

If I were doing it, I would use one of the smallest frame internally regulated ND alternators, from a Kubota tractor or a Geo Metro or similar, and a small compact battery, like a big motorcycle battery, a lawn tractor battery, or I would highly prefer something sealed, like an Odyssey. The 12v system could be negative ground and completely separate. There would be about 22v between a hot 6v wire and a hot 12v wire, but as long as you are aware of that it is no big deal.

Contrast that with a typical 12v conversion, which might be easy and might be tough depending on the car. Going from positive to negative ground introduces more problems. Each accessory or gauge requires it's own solution. Radios can usually be converted, clocks vary, a heater might need a different motor adapted. Electric wipers might also. Some gauges might never work. A Chrysler M6 transmission will probably never work, but you won't run into that on a Packard.

Anyone who converts inherits some or all of these issues, no matter what their reasons are for doing so. Most guys don't have the will to see it through and never finish it. They wind up hanging some cheap aftermarket gauges under the dash and leaving some other things broken. Some of the guys at the local cruise in seem fine with this, but I like everything to work as intended. I had a lot of converted cars pass through my service bay over the years and I have never seen one yet that had everything working.

Unless there is some pitfall I have not thought of, a small separate system would sidestep all of that.

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I still say buy a 12V car. Just one year newer and all cars were 12V.

You missed Fords (1956). And VW Beetles (1967). 😁

And to keep on topic, 1955 Packards are 12 volt POSITIVE Ground! 🙄

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

We still don't know if OP wants to buy a 1954 Packard ambulance because it is a 1954, a Packard, or an ambulance or some combination or maybe none of the above, just wants a big fifties car (with air conditioning). If it is the last of these then the 54 Packard is about the worst possible choice.

• Like 1