1950 Chevy, Unknown Model

Bradf0rd

Hello, this is my first forum post so if I don't get something right, please bare with me. I am trying to identify my grandfathers 1950 Chevy model. I'm hoping to get it restored soon but can't find any photos of the car on google as they all look slightly different than the one I have. There is no damage or missing parts to the vehicle, so everything is all there, no missing chrome, etc. Attached are photos taken (not the greatest, but it's all I have at the moment) of the vehicle and he says that it is essentially the base model of the 1950 Chevy Deluxe 4-Door; however I can't find any information confirming this. Any help and input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

I think it's a Fleetline Special going by no front fender chrome strip or front fender script, no rear fender skirts, and rubber rear fender stone guards. DeLuxes would have had the trim strip, a "DeLuxe" front fender script, skirts and bright metal stone guards.

The data plate underhood should have style designation 50-1208.

50= 1950

12= Special 

08= 4-door fastback sedan

The fastback bodystyle was fading out by 1950 and gone by 1953. That, plus the family history, makes this a car worth saving. It's simple, easy to work with, and has good club and parts support.

In addition to AACA, the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America covers your Fifty and is another good technical resource.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I think it's a Fleetline Special going by no front fender chrome strip or front fender script, no rear fender skirts, and rubber rear fender stone guards. DeLuxes would have had the trim strip, a "DeLuxe" front fender script, skirts and bright metal stone guards.

The data plate underhood should have style designation 50-1208.

50= 1950

12= Special 

08= 4-door fastback sedan

The fastback bodystyle was fading out by 1950 and gone by 1953.

Also called 'Torpedobacks' when I was younger.  I believe the DeLuxes also had opening vent windows on the rear doors as well.

Craig

• Like 1

Hey everyone, Thank y'all for the info! I'll definitely be checking under the hood to look at the data plate and post an update. As for the gas pump, it's a piece of our family history so we're planning on getting that restored and keeping it too, sorry Curti!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradf0rd said:

Hello guys, so I finally got a chance to have a look at the ID plate on the vehicle, but I'm still not 100% sure what it means. Thanks in advance!

20220708_144845.jpg

3= St Louis , Missouri / assembly plant

HJ= 1950 model year/Stylemaster 

NOT SURE what "G" is?

Possibly model # 1503 / Body Style #50-1269 will need photo of Body tag to verify

Bob

On 6/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, Bradf0rd said:

...There is no damage...

Is that an open dirt floor shed?  If so, and the car (and the gas pump) have been in it for very long, I'll bet there's some damage from moisture and varmints.

The 2 door slope back model is called "sports coupe", but the slope back 4 door? It still may be a 4 door sports coupe? The Fleetline model refers to the model with the chrome package, not the fact that it has the torpedo design.

Edited by Oldschoolantiqueauto
replacing a few words (see edit history)

Your car is a 1950 Chevrolet Special Fleetline 4-door sedan. "Fleetline" refers to the slope back. The "notchback" model was a "Styleline". The Special was the bottom of the line model with very little chrome and a very basic interior. The DeLuxe models had more chrome on the outside and an upgraded interior.  

https://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/documents/NCA_ChevyIdentitification_lowres.pdf

According to the National Chevy Association, Chevrolet sold only 23,277 cars of your model in 1950 out of a total production of 1.25 million. The Deluxe Styleline 4-door sedan was the most popular model with 316,412 sold.

The "Special" series was aimed at commercial users who tended to put lots of miles on them with minimal maintenance, so it's likely that even fewer remain than is indicated by the production numbers. In this case rarity does not equate to value. It is rare because it was unattractive at the time, and it still is. However, rarity does mean it would stand out on the show field where most of the cars are over-restored with more chrome and accessories than would have been found on the average Chevrolet of the period. This one should be restored with blackwall tires and without accessories as it would have been found in its day.

Don

Edited by DLynskey
clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more thing to consider, with prices where they are, you might consider getting the car cleaned up and running and leave it as is as much as you can stand. Restoration costs, like everything else, have gone up and cars in original condition are commanding higher prices and draw more interest at shows. My vote would be to clean it up, put some new tires on it, (You could use a set of radials), change the oil, drain the gas and put in some fresh, etc etc and enjoy.

• Thanks 1