Compression test - strange reading

m-mman

The car - 1973 Corvette, base 350 4 speed, with 43k miles bought new by a 22 year old girl who has kept it all these years. Now in her seventies and finally retired, she wants to enjoy it again.

Really nice, It was last run 5-10 years ago. (garage stored) 

67746207752__1BC4C7ED-785A-4D02-A0BC-DD4C321FD0A3.jpg.66d18ba50ea2557259369372418af662.jpg

I'm getting it going for her, all new fuel system, brakes etc., etc. 

But how good is the engine? Well, how about a compression test? 

All cylinders 160 to 170 EXCEPT the last one which "hit" 150 on the first crank and then fell to zero(!) 

Continued cranking and the needle would bounce up to 120-150 then quickly fall to zero . . . .

Certainty not rings? Stuck valve is possible because it was parked(?) Should I pull the valve covers? 

Nope, before I begin tearing the engine apart I think . . . bouncing to 120 and then falling to zero???

Turns out not an engine problem at all, its a tool problem

The Schrader valve failed in the compression tester. Change it and the cylinder is a full 160 psi. 

IMG_5359.jpg.b87c3c70ce0c2d693668052b97fc4bcb.jpg

Sometimes its not the car, but the tool 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, m-mman said:

Turns out not an engine problem at all, its a tool problem

The Schrader valve failed in the compression tester. Change it and the cylinder is a full 160 psi.

Rule number one, be sure the problem is real and not just bad instrumentation. If only they were all this easy to fix. 😉

Yep, that's a bad Schrader valve. It should never fall to zero. It should never fall at all until you hit the button, but it could get higher if you keep cranking. In normal operation, it is holding the pressure in the hose. The Schraders fail a lot on compression testers if you use them a lot.

5 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

Nice car tell her to get rid of the damn ugly wheels!

We discussed that . . . . . They are Western Wheel Turbines.  She had them installed way back when. She let the original wheels go.

Since the car will be taking her on her own sentimental journey, they will stay on the car.  

However I'm looking at having them cleaned and polished and MAYBE having the Jade color painted between the fins. 

It seems that she also let her spare wheel go(!)  Does anyone know, will a typical Impala type wheel fit over the disc brakes? 

Interestingly the car was born silver (black deluxe interior) and she had it color changed to the jade metallic that it currently wears. A very non Corvette color.  Incredible color change job!  I cant find any silver anywhere! The shop covered the rockers, the chin area, everywhere and did an excellent job masking the VIN plate. Done years ago but and nice as any collector would do today. 

Its an honor to be able to give her back her youth to enjoy once more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Rule number one, be sure the problem is real and not just bad instrumentation. If only they were all this easy to fix. 😉

Don't get me started on powerplant operators who always believed their instrumentation.

Please please don't paint those wheels!😬 

• Like 2

Nice to see that car and hear the history.  She’s going to live up to what she said she’d do. Over the last 30 years how many times has she said “No it’s not for sale. I’m going to restore it some day”  

Good on you girl. Go bake the tires. Light ‘em up at any opportunity! 

On 6/23/2022 at 10:32 PM, rocketraider said:

Don't get me started on powerplant operators who always believed their instrumentation.

Please please don't paint those wheels!😬 

Marmaduke Surfaceblow would give you a thumbs up if he was a member. 

7 hours ago, Studeous said:

Marmaduke Surfaceblow would give you a thumbs up if he was a member. 

🙂

56 minutes ago, tcslr said:

Mr Studeous - I laughed out loud at that.  You are showing your age, though.  It's been his neice/daughter?? - Marnie Surfaceblow for a while! 

Marnie is his granddaughter.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:32 PM, rocketraider said:

The big problem I had was operators who wanted to clutter up the new DCS with bs alarms that didn't amount to a hill of beans, but they figured if they had such an alarm they could get out of going outside and laying hands and eyes on the equipment.

I still say please don't put any paint on those Westerns!

You mean like rockets?  Can I regale you with stories of a Stage 1 Thrust Vector Controller?

LOL.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, joe_padavano said:

• Haha 1