1926 Chrysler model 70 $12,500- Manchester, CT

This is a really nice car for a decent asking price.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/manchester-1926-chrysler-model-70/7494506413.html

Up for sale is this 1927 Chrysler Model 70 sedan. This car is a beautiful example of an early luxury sedan. Production of the Model 70 began in 1924 and its name was derived from the vehicle's top speed. It was bestowed with many never-before-seen engineering qualities that helped distinguish it from many other vehicles on the road at the time. The Model 70, dubbed the 'Chrysler Six' for its high-compression six-cylinder engine, had a seven-bearing crankshaft, the first replaceable oil filter, full pressure lubrication system, and a carburetor air cleaner. The period advertising for the Model 70 focused on two main technological breakthroughs which included the four-wheel hydraulic brakes and its 4.7:1 compression ratio.

00D0D_bAgxVLvZgtkz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00f0f_aAllphgmSk2z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00p0p_7gZw7cZQYyUz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00I0I_cX2LRaXOS8ez_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00606_5ete8QkQV8Hz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

00p0p_dBwElpSmg8Qz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00c0c_jh133mrBYtPz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by supercub (see edit history)
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I wonder what a realistic driving speed would be for this car?

This looks to be a well preserved automobile. 

A very long time ago I often drove a restored 1926 70 coach belonging to a friend.  I was amazed at the amount of power out of its 201(?) cid six.   It was extremely smooth and well-behaved.  As I recall, cruising speed was perhaps 45 mph.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think if it's in good condition, a roadster will easily top 65MPH, the limiting factor is going to be your comfort with 20's suspension systems.

I remember a year at the Monterey Historic races when Bentley was the "honored marque". Ray Jones, an Australian who co-authored Martin Swig's "Chrysler in Competition" book, entered a '28 Chrysler touring car. The standards of preparation are very strict, and no modern modifications are permitted. there were a number of Bentleys from well know British dealers, and you know all the front runners send a fortune on preparation. Ray didn't win, but he worried the leading Bentley through out and finished a close second. They all hit about 90 on the straights... 

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

I think if it's in good condition, a roadster will easily top 65MPH, the limiting factor is going to be your comfort with 20's suspension systems.

I remember a year at the Monterey Historic races when Bentley was the "honored marque". Ray Jones, an Australian who co-authored Martin Swig's "Chrysler in Competition" book, entered a '28 Chrysler touring car. The standards of preparation are very strict, and no modern modifications are permitted. there were a number of Bentleys from well know British dealers, and you know all the front runners send a fortune on preparation. Ray didn't win, but he worried the leading Bentley through out and finished a close second. They all hit about 90 on the straights... 

Closed body styles *may* not have high speed gearing like roadsters. 

These early Chryslers are beautifully made, robust, high quality cars with many interesting engineering features.

I have a 1924 B70 Phaeton and a comfortable cruising speed is 45 - 50 MPH. The 1920's era chassis dynamics, brakes, and aerodynamics start to feel a bit uncomfortable faster than that but I have no doubt that the car would do the claimed 70 MPH top speed.

• Like 5

This car will probably cruise at 50mph. The important question is, What are your feelings about external contracting brakes trying to stop your vehicle at that speed? I have owned a few cars with external contracting brakes. Everything is manageable until the brakes get wet. Then all bets are off. When you are standing on the brake pedal and the car isn’t slowing down the pucker factor increases exponentially. Don’t get me wrong, I love these old cars. You just have to adjust your thinking about driving them. 
Beautiful car. Zeke

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a consingnment car being listed by a friend.  He is helping out the older owner as he is more of a traditional hot rod guy (he has a shop here in central CT) but if it helps anyone looking at this Matt is a good, honest guy. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone!      I have the 26 Chrysler running great!    One of the issues was the carburetor needed rebuilding. Another was the gas tank was full of........well you name it.  I removed the tank and poured 13 gallons of white vinegar in it and let it sit for 3 days.   wow , you want to see the crap that came out of that tank.  I then put baking soda with water in it to neutralize it. now the tank looks brand new.    I use the car regularly , however I'm considering selling it if you know of anyone that might be interested.   I'm probably going to ask about $15,000 for it.  I recently brought the car to Audrain cars and coffee.  

image.jpeg

• Like 2