Vehicle shipping

Jon Lacho

16 hours ago, JCHansen1 said:

Intercity Lines. www.intercitylines.com

I concur.  I have also used Passport Transport, though

some on our forum will use only Intercity Lines.

I've priced both, and they were within $100 of each

other coast-to-coast.  You absolutely do not want

to judge a shipper merely on price, since some out there

are not careful.

For an antique car, we highly recommend that the

transportation be enclosed, rather than on an open 

trailer.  This gives more security, especially when the

trailer is parked, and furthermore, your car is not

exposed to all the vagaries of the weather.

What kind of car?  What condition?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Doubling of the price of fuel in the last year and 1/2 has not helped transportation costs.

No it has not... A client of mine recently got a quote from one of Intercity's worthy competitors for shipping a car (enclosed) from Pentwater, MI to Bend, OR- over $3k. Nearly fell out of my chair... 

7 hours ago, JCHansen1 said:

...A client of mine recently got a quote from one of Intercity's worthy competitors for shipping a car (enclosed) from Pentwater, MI to Bend, OR- over $3k....

I got a recent quote of $2900 from southern Calif. to Penna.

by Intercity.  A year ago, it would have been $2300.  It's indeed

higher, but not as severe as your quote, J. C.

Main antique-car shipping routes are between the east coast

and west coast;  and probably to Florida.  If a route lies along

that path, it's more economical and finds quicker service.

It it is off the beaten path, it's going to be more expensive

and require more of a wait.  Oregon likely isn't on the main route.

Intercity told me of a far-out-of-the-way route--Texas to Montana--

that was going to be a challenge.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Just contracted with InterCity Lines from Bloomington MN to Maryland $2495.00  Didn't think this was too bad, my out of pocket to go out and pick it up myself would have been $1600.00 or more and 3 hard days of driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I got a recent quote of $2900 from southern Calif. to Penna.

by Intercity.  A year ago, it would have been $2300.  It's indeed

higher, but not as severe as your quote, J. C.

Main antique-car shipping routes are between the east coast

and west coast;  and probably to Florida.  If a route lies along

that path, it's more economical and finds quicker service.

It it is off the beaten path, it's going to be more expensive

and require more of a wait.  Oregon likely isn't on the main route.

Intercity told me of a far-out-of-the-way route--Texas to Montana--

that was going to be a challenge.

Certainly both locations are out of the way. My client said that Bend, OR is on the road to nowhere, and frankly so is Pentwater, MI, which is about halfway up the Lake Michigan coastline. 

4 hours ago, Angelfish said:

California is a PITA as well.  California specific permits easily run into the many thousands of dollars, a lot of smaller shippers don't even bother serving the state.  Get it to Las Vegas and your shipping options will be 10 times what you have now.  

An California has a 55mph speed limit for the whole state for all semi trucks and vehicles with trailers.  That includes individuals with any kind of trailer.  The CHP just did a three day sweep on vehicles going over 55 with trailers and wrote over 500 tickets.

https://drivinvibin.com/2021/11/02/55-mph-towing-speed-limit/

24 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

An California has a 55mph speed limit for the whole state for all semi trucks and vehicles with trailers.  That includes individuals with any kind of trailer.  The CHP just did a three day sweep on vehicles going over 55 with trailers and wrote over 500 tickets.

https://drivinvibin.com/2021/11/02/55-mph-towing-speed-limit/

Yep, and has during the 60+ years I've been driving.  You can get by with 60 mph on straight roads but 61 is chancy.  Until a few years ago, Illinois had a 55 mph limit for towed vehicles but I haven't seen those signs for perhaps 10 years.

For California licensees, the greatest issue is that the gross trailer weight limit for a Class C (normal) driver's license is 9,999 lbs.  If your gross trailer weight will be greater, and it's for private non-commercial use, you'll need a Class A Non-Commercial license which requires a driving and backing test, and a specific  physical exam every three years until age 75.  At 75, you'll need that physical exam EVERY year.  BUT your prime mover for that under-10K trailer can be a vehicle such as a motorhome of up to 26,000 lbs gross and still tow a trailer less than 10,000--all on a Class C license.

That means that a lot of car trailers to be registered here are ordered with higher than 10,000 lb gross specifications, but their factory label is administratively downgraded to 9,990 or 9,995.  Pickup trucks and their trailers do not need to enter roadside scales in Calif, but other truck bodies, including rental box trucks, are required to enter the scales.  Obviously, pickups are the tow vehicle of choice.

• Like 2

Oregon is on the road to nowhere. You have I 5 going through CA, OR & WA then US 97 doing the same. That's not a road to nowhere. I burned that road up when my kids were in high school sports, Bend, Redmond & Prineville. 4 hours from Pendleton then back, a lot of seat time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

John, like many who go to the internet, it is here for their use or gratification only , NO consideration for all of us who look at requests with some sincerity in mind and also have the manners to express appreciation - for many people it is a one way street, their way. Sad commentary on the current general(?) attitude and upbringing they have had or shall I say lack of upbringing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We generally fall all over ourselves to help newbies. Ive taken a more circumspect approach with people asking questions but have only one or two posts. Basically before giving them any information, I ask them a bunch of questions to see if they respond. When they don’t you know you’re wasting your time.

• Like 7