1949 Plymouth Woodie (woody) - $35,000 (Carlsbad CA) not mine

1949 Plymouth Woodie (woody) - $35,000 (Carlsbad)

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/carlsbad-1949-plymouth-woodie-woody/7446153693.html

email     05fc4d0002543ce0a642baafe9aca7ad@sale.craigslist.org

Daily Driver. Very dependable. I've had this car for 17 years and driven it multiple times to car events in Santa Cruz, Visalia, and Lake Arrowhead. It has the stock Plymouth six with a three speed stick shift with period correct overdrive. It can cruise at 70 MPH all day long with the overdrive. Never overheats. Burns no oil.

$35,000 or possible trade for a decent 32 Ford hi-boy roadster.

Most of the wood is original. 90 % of the upholstery is original. It's a survivor that's been on the road without a break since new.

Here's a great article from Hemmings about the 49 Plymouth wagon: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-great-new-plymouth-1949-plymouth-special-deluxe

If you read the article, you'll see that this car is very reasonably priced.

00G0G_8dxMBZjtTcRz_0as07y_600x450.jpg

00909_hVuhYe1bCnGz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_gPu7ArDevS9z_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, George Albright said:

I don’t do Facebook. Can anyone get me the owners email address? Thanks george albright email gnalbright@gmail.com 

The seller did not post a phone # - just an email through CL:

05fc4d0002543ce0a642baafe9aca7ad@sale.craigslist.org

On 2/21/2022 at 7:52 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Surprisingly cute rear bumper and spare tire treatment. I'd hate to have to find another rear bumper if the one was damaged.

You would NEVER find another one. Specific to 49 Plymouth Woody.

It is actually a 3 piece bumper and the middle section is "hinged" and swings down so you can get the spare tire "door" open and drop the tailgate without damaging anything.

DSCF5101.JPG

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
added picture (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Attractive car. Can someone tell me: Did Plymouth or Dodge offer BOTH a woodie and a steel body two door wagon in '49 and/or '50? I can't remember. I was interested in a '49 or '50 Plymouth wagon several years ago, and it was a steel body. I'm wondering if they offered both at the same time...'49 and '50's were very similar in basic styling. I know Ford didn't offer both a woodie and steel body, and I don't think GM brands did either.

That's easy, for 1949-'50, Plymouth and Dodge offered the two door all-steel wagon and both Plymouth and Dodge the four door woodie wagon until Dodge late in the 1950 run replaced the woodie with four door all-steel wagon which would be shared with the DeSotos and Chryslers throuh 1952.  Plymouth dropped the four-door wagon for 1951 until 1955.  Dodge kept the four-door wagon through 1952, dropped it for 1953 then contracted with Ionia Body Co. to build 1,300 four door 1954 Dodge station wagons which utilize portions of the rear quarter of the two door Plymouth wagon stamping!  Bizarre!

Addendum: Dodge offered the two-door suburban for 1953-'54.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Corrected misinformation (see edit history)

On 2/24/2022 at 7:41 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

That's easy, for 1949-'50, Plymouth and Dodge offered the two door all-steel wagon and both Plymouth and Dodge the four door woodie wagon until Dodge late in the 1950 run replaced the woodie with four door all-steel wagon which would be shared with the DeSotos and Chryslers throuh 1952.  Plymouth dropped the four-door wagon for 1951 until 1955.  Dodge kept the four-door wagon through 1952, dropped it for 1953 then contracted with Ionia Body Co. to build 1,300 four door 1954 Dodge station wagons which utilize portions of the rear quarter of the two door Plymouth wagon stamping!  Bizarre!

Thanks for the education, 58L-Y8...this thread got me to wondering about mopar wagons. Bizarre is right. That's a pretty convoluted wagon lineup. So I guess you were saying, "That's easy...." to be humorous. 😄

31 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for the education, 58L-Y8...this thread got me to wondering about mopar wagons. Bizarre is right. That's a pretty convoluted wagon lineup. So I guess you were saying, "That's easy...." to be humorous. 😄

You're welcome.  I had to be reminded Dodge didn't get the two door wagons for 1949-'52, those were a Plymouth exclusive.  On the other hand, Plymouth didn't get the roadsters Dodge did for 1949-'52.   The end of the woody wagon with the 1950 model year was easy, Then Dodge got to share the all-steel four door wagon with Chrysler and DeSoto for 1951-'52. 

The 'bizarre' begins for 1953.  The greatly restyled, updated four door wagons continued for the 1953-'54 Chryslers and DeSotos.  But Dodge, fell back to platform sharing with Plymouth for the two-door Diplomat hardtop, convertible and 2dr Suburban wagon on 114" wb.  Suddenly, the two door Suburban that was denied Dodge was granted.  Further, the platform was stretched to 119" wb for the four-door sedan and two-door club sedan.  But there were no 1953 Dodge 119" wb four-door wagons.  That would happen for 1954, built by Ionia Body Co. who were the outside body-maker contractors with Buick and Oldsmobile and Mercury throughout the 1950's for station wagon production.   Note the rear section that Ionia built with for 1954 only are the quarters and tailgate of the two-door body shell!  Lots of cutting and fitting to build the 1,300 bodies for the Coronet series, available as either six or Red Ram V8.  With the all-new 1955 Dodge and Plymouth body shells, both two and four door versions were in-house production builds. 

In all the years of looking, I have yet to encounter one of the 1954 Dodge Sierra four-door station wagons by Ionia.

'54 Dodge Sierra 2dr wagon a.jpg

'54 Dodge Sierra 4dr wagon a.jpg

'54 Dodge Sierra 4dr wagon.jpg

• Thanks 1