ADHESIVE REMOVER

STEVE POLLARD

The prior owner installed a after-market chrome bed railing cap on my 1969 Chevrolet C20. I think it's ugly and it's covering the post holes in the bed rail. The passenger side was already loose, so I was able to remove it by wiggling it back and forth  until it finally popped off. It was held on with some type of double back tape. The driver's side is another story - it's on there, I can't move it, this is where I need advise on a adhesive remover that I can use to get between the chromed strip and the top of the bed rail ( there is a slight gap that I could spray into.

Any suggestions / recommendation of specific products ( that won't cause paint damage)  is appreciated !

Thanks !

Steve

20220218_104116.jpg

20220218_104057.jpg

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of plastic chisels which are less likely to gouge paint. After the heat softens the adhesive use the plastic chisel to pry and lift the offending POS trim piece. Then use 3M adhesive remover or Prep-Sol to remove any remaining adhesive, and hope no paint comes off with it. After that it should be a simple matter of compounding and polishing to bring the paint back.

I found a nice 87 ElCamino a few years back. I liked the trucklet immensely but some previous owner had put their stamp on it by attaching self-adhesive stainless panels below the body side mouldings. I wasn't having those cheap and cheesy looking things but I was afraid I'd end up getting into paint work if I removed them (light tan metallic). So someone else got what was otherwise a nice last-year ElCamino.

wd40. easiest, cheapest, and probably already in your garage

3m adhesive remover p/n 08984

wax and grease remover will take a lot of elbow grease and then you'll have to wax the areas you wiped down

funny story about wd40

my wife had knee replacement surgery and with that, had bandages and tape. Once the tape comes off, there is always residual adhesive on the skin, I found her in the kitchen with the wd40 wiping the adhesive on her knee off. I told her there was no need to lubricate the new joint, to which she simply glared at me.

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

Just wanted to give an update....( I find it annoying when people ask for help and never return to explain their results ) The heat and WD-40 worked!  I slowly worked it from one end to the other end, until it finally lifted off. I still have some residue left from the double back adhesive, but I'll take care of that on a warmer day here.

Thanks for the input !

20220221_115351.jpg

20220221_115414.jpg

20220221_115434.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Steve, I totally agree that more people need to give a follow up as to the advice they sought out - did it work or didn't it? or if so can any further hints to make something easier be added by the person who made the original request help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1