1965 Chrysler 300L 2 Door Hardtop - $1,400 obo NOT MINE

(1) Marketplace - 1965 Chrysler 300L Hardtop | Facebook

Seller's Description

1965 Chrysler 300L 2 Dr. HT Good Parts Car 2405 produced in 1965 Estimated that 298 remain according to the Chrysler 300 Club International - this one makes 299 Probably best as a parts car but you decide No title - Bill of Sale only - it does have the fender tag 413 CID/Automatic trans condition unknown - missing distributor and radiator Bucket seats (rough) with console and vacuum gauge AM radio with rear seat controls Tilt steering - no steering wheel Speedometer and gauges intact Very nice grille with covered headlights - it is in my shed right now Bumpers are good Most of the trim is useable - a few pieces are missing or bent No wheels or tires at this point The windshield is cracked - the rest of the glass is good $1400 - I will consider trades for car/truck related only I am about 40 miles Southeast of Des Moines, Iowa

No photo description available.

Agree, but it has very little value as a parts car.  It can be restored, and should be.   I have always enjoyed finding the rarer of the project cars, the unusual.  If this is truly a 1965 L, then you would not likely see many elsewhere. 

Styling is fair.  I can enjoy the styling as they used the Imperial and New Yorker type headlamp covering, retained nice dual side by side headlamps and the grille was nice.   The issue I have is with the angularity of the body sides.  Once restored, it would be a nice mid sixties representation of Chrysler styling.   

Would be interesting to see if it has a posi.  I would think it would since it's an L.  

No, it won't be restored.  I have neither the facility or the time.  Those seats are dielectric stamped (I think that is what they called it) and other than SMS I don't think you are getting reproductions.   

To do the 413 correctly, you might as well set aside $12,000 or so.  But man what a car new.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

JACK M, great car!  Three pedals for the win. 👍

And it recently rolled over  30K.

It took me many years to finally get this car.

And by the way, that missing trim has been dealt with.

I think that this time at least , restoration would not really make sense. But too good to strip and scrap. Someone ; perhaps already a " L " owner, needs to buy it and get it under cover.  I like all the letter series cars. These last of the series ones are less special than the earlier cars, but still very cool. And at this price ,if a person has the space, how could you go wrong ?

Lower optioned? I doubt you could even get fluff accessories like that in a letter series 300. They are serious performance cars with highly tuned engines and stiff suspensions. Chrysler would probably bolt on a bunch of "options" if you special ordered it, but I doubt they would give you A/C. My guess is it wouldn't even fit.

Chrysler had cars for people who wanted things like power windows and A/C. Basically everything in the catalog except this. Since the early 60s they even made a "300" without the letter for people who wanted something that behaved more like a luxurious Chrysler but who still wanted the looks of the "300".

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Well, it's a real letter car, the last of the line. It's not wrecked and looks like it's almost complete. A complete mess, yes! But at least it's cheap.

I could see someone buying it and bringing it back to life, it doesn't have to be restored, just fixed up. This is something for the real Mopar fan with more Moxie than sense, but at least he'd have a real letter car. Are Chrysler wheels that hard to source? 

On 1/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bloo said:

Lower optioned? I doubt you could even get fluff accessories like that in a letter series 300. They are serious performance cars with highly tuned engines and stiff suspensions. Chrysler would probably bolt on a bunch of "options" if you special ordered it, but I doubt they would give you A/C. My guess is it wouldn't even fit.

Chrysler had cars for people who wanted things like power windows and A/C. Basically everything in the catalog except this. Since the early 60s they even made a "300" without the letter for people who wanted something that behaved more like a luxurious Chrysler but who still wanted the looks of the "300".

Bloo

I somewhat disagree but am not a Chrysler letter series expert.   1st, it's a Chrysler, not a Dodge or Plymouth so it was meant to be the over used slogan a "Banker's hot rod".  And that crowd enjoyed power options.  By 1965 AC was getting more common, not always ordered because it was still a $400 to $750 option, even in the 70's.  

On 1/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Bloo said:

On second thought does anyone know how to decode the tag? Why do we think this is really a 300L?

It would explain a lot if it isn't.

I do not, but I generally believe this seller because "L" was in the middle of the grille, and he has the grille in the garage. L also appeared elsewhere, where I am sure he has noted.  Letter series automatics had a vacuum gauge, which this car has, the 413, which this car has and so on.   He has willingly provided the data plate if I recall.  

• Like 1